1/72 Saab A 36, Broplan vacform

Most of you that have not seen my WIP are probably not familiar with this one. It was a never-realised project from the late fifties to create an attack-/bomber aircraft to carry the projected (but later cancelled) Swedish nuclear bomb. See more in the WIP thread. The whole project was cancelled since it would have become too expensive, and instead Saab started working on what became Viggen. But this is the missing "36" between Saab 35 Draken and Saab 37 Viggen.

33670520371_ff960614c0_c.jpg

I used RBD Decals for Saab A 32 Lansen. This individual is portraited as it would have looked like in about 1969. The camouflage pattern is inspired by a suggestion for Viggen, before the classic splinter camouflage was created.

32986921383_49be2364a9_c.jpg

Main landing gear and wheels are modified F-14 Tomcat ones. The front leg is a modified 1/48 Starfighter leg.

33759215026_b78966e4d7_c.jpg

32956723334_abac0aba8c_c.jpg

Wing tanks are from a F-16.

33759200496_1201f51975_c.jpg

33670505051_533579d8c8_c.jpg

33759223276_a198de0fd4_c.jpg

33759189956_f495cc1e27_c.jpg

A nice fighting face!

33799851095_16b594a989_c.jpg

Finally a duo that could have been...

32986810203_97ab31cfee_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 40

Very nice, Bjorn.

That looks like an excellent build, the Broplan vac forms can be of varying quality, one or two of mine were very thin in some places and thick in others.

You have made a very nice job of a rare kit.

I like the 'pre-fields and meadows' camouflage scheme, great to see it modelled so well.

Take a bow, sir.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thud4444 said:

Wow! That looks amazing. 

I'm with Jessica,  it looks tiny until you put it with the Draken. Is it about the same size as a F-105 or Buccaneer?

Not that big, it should have been about 17 metres long, somewhat larger than a Viggen. 

• Like 1

That's an interesting aircraft - what engine was it designed to take?  To British eyes it looks like a cross between a Hawker P.1021 - intended for much the same role - and a Mirage, but from your comment it would seem to be a little smaller than the Hawker design, which was large to take the Gyron.  Clearly that would be a little too large for the A36 whereas the Avon (or Atar) would be too small.  Perhaps a single J-79?

• Like 1

Fabulous representation of SAAB's ultra secret A-bomber project.

So highly classified was the A 36 project, that it's alleged that not even SAAB's CEO Tryggve Holm was aware of it!

Apparently, the engine was to have been the British Olympus that powered the Vulcan and the Concorde.

Your model is so convincing, Björn, that it takes an effort to realise that it didn't have a corresponding full size original.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,Bjorn - Another beautifully built and finished subject from you,as always.This is an education for me as The 'J-36' is new to me.It looks most impressive in model form.It certainly would have been so in real life.The size comparison against the Draken is very interesting.The design,and please forgive me for saying this,looks quite 'Miragesque',particularly in the wing.This leaves no doubt in my mind that it would have been a remarkable performer,like her predecessor and successor.

A great tribute to a great concept.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1