RG 51 RF-4E Phantom II (1/72 Fujimi)

Better late than never!

NATO forces are being bolstered by forward deployed recon birds in W. Germany, based out of Bremgarten Air Base near Freiburg.  Due to the fairly limited time, this will be a largely OoB build.  At this time I will likely be building RF-4E 35+23.

DSCF2206.JPG

• Like 6

I lie.....

I'm probably going to snag some Quickboost bang seats & an Eduard Zoom PE for the cockpit to replace the kit decals.  I'll need to get those enroute in the next couple days though so as not to hold up progress too much.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good choice, I look forward to seeing what you can do with her.

Good luck.

Don't get your hopes set too high, I am a bit of a scrub! :rofl:  

• Like 1

Made some progress on the pit.  Still need to finish up w/ a dry brush and paint the belts.  PE is actually for a F-4E...not an RF-4.  Unfortunately that's all that I could find on short notice, but regardless, I think it looks a lot better than the kit decals.  Bang seats are Quickboost pieces.  Not the highest grade pieces I've seen, but still very good for the money and a big step forward from the kit pieces.

DSCF2213.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The "lens holder".  Not really a camera as I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't look like the real thing. :lol:

DSCF2219.JPG

And the teaser.  I think it will look satisfactory once the exterior paint is applied.

DSCF2220.JPG

• Like 7

Both the cockpit and 'lens holder' look grand. I'm sure both will be most effective in their various places within the fuselage.

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I'm just floored by how good you made the cockpit look. I'm throwing in my 1:72 Phantom towel, because I can't even touch that. 

Thanks.....but don't do that!  :o

The pit only came out as well as it did due to the Eduard PE bits (only used the large cockpit pieces from the cheap ZOOM kit) and substituting the kit seats for Quickboost resin items.  Though since the PE set is for the Hasegawa kit...it's going to require a fair bit of rework to the front pit cowl.  I'm not out of the woods yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-14 at 1:21 AM, helios16v said:

The "lens holder".  Not really a camera as I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't look like the real thing. :lol:

DSCF2219.JPG

And the teaser.  I think it will look satisfactory once the exterior paint is applied.

DSCF2220.JPG

Wow, how did you make the lenses? Transparent sprue?

Jay

On 6/30/2017 at 11:55 PM, Mountain goat said:

Wow, how did you make the lenses? Transparent sprue?

Jay

Used an artificial water product by Woodland Scenics.  It took a few applications over a few days to fill and get the final convex shape.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/C1211/page/1

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Picking away at the stenciling again.  Ended up having to remove the drops as there are decals that actually go underneath them.

49629320527_9a9077b4f3_c.jpg

• Like 3

Delighted to see this one is still moving forward Chris. Tedious work perhaps but worthwhile for the final result.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Another stencil session took place last night.  Just have the port side left to do.  Then it's clear coat, install/paint exhausts & stabs, re-install the tanks, and install the gear then I can call this one a wrap.  It's only been 3 years for a 1/72 Phantom.  :rofl2:

49942257477_ab924bc5b4_c.jpg

Edited by helios16v
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...