Revell/Italeri 1/72 Airspeed Horsa

Hello one and all,

Some people on here who either remember or read some of my previous posts will know that for the last few years I have been supporting a Liberian friend I used to work with at a school. Teaching kids about Remembrance Day and why we will need to respect those who paid the ultimate price even after 100 years.  The format usually goes as thus, she gets in contact with the local RBL branch asking for veterans to come into the school to talk to the kids, a postie from my area collects war memorabilia and medals and displays the various things he discovers and my part is very simple.  I try to link the whole lot together with models of various subjects so the kids can relate to a Spitfire or a 109, Sherman, Tiger.... you get the point.  Anyhow last year, I found out that one of the veterans we had turning up was a member of the Operation Deadstick (aka Pegasus Bridge Attack) on D-Day, to say this chap is a legend is an understatement.  I can not remember the chaps name for the life of me, but he had a wicked sense of humour and was great to talk and listen to.  Unfortunately I found out too late about this chap so I couldn't get a Horsa out in time for it, I felt kinda embarrassed as he had nothing to represent him there.  That will not be the case this year... so I am going to build a Horsa for him to talk about.  So follow my many cock ups below...

The Revell/Italeri Horsa Mk.I/II to my knowledge you can only really build a MK.I from this kit as the nose needs to be pointed from the top view and the sides need to be flattened abit for a mk.II?  At least to my research that is so? Please correct me if I am wrong.  I want to build the version that was used in Operation Deadstick, which I understand where Mk.II's?  I may just have to make a "best fit" kinda model unless I can find some decent material on the subject.  Pictures below...

33458409573_7d68f4382c_b.jpg

33884507420_8819b57431_b.jpg

34137522021_86d460c6d3_b.jpg

33884539470_596ae2d39d_b.jpg

34268273415_f1ded9c9ec_b.jpg

This wont be the fastest build in history as I have a few models on the go that I want to finish and get off the shelf of doom!  But I am hoping to get a good start on this during the bank holiday.  I can't remember if it was me or the person I bought the kit from that started the tail.  However, that's one less job to worry about either away.

Any and all comments are welcome. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 6

I have a front row seat for this one ..'Hold until Relieved' . The 'pilots' of these were amazing - why anyone would willingly fly a 15,000lb glider that would be crash landed is beyond me !  The pilot of the 1st glider landed just a few yards from the bridge.

I always thought of creating a Diorama depicting that 1st glider lander - not sure how big it would be in 1/72nd 

• Like 1

The Orne canal and bridge Coup de Main gliders were all Mk I (Op Deadstick was the training). The kit is reasonably accurate but it does require some work to get it right.

The cockpit floor needs lifting with footwell added between the seats. There are also some missing air bottles and the battery that need to be added. There is also a prominent keel beam under the centreline of the canopy and two internal glazing bars to add to the main windscreen.

DON'T follow the instructions and fit the steps to the crew doors as these doors slide in, up and over the only time one of these doors dropped down was when it was left in the ramp. and that was lowered.

The belly skid needs the rubber block shock absorber added and some extra struts.

The Coup de Main gliders were fitted with an arrestor parachute, this was installed in the hole in the tail which was meant to be a gunners hatch. Externally all you'd see would be the cables leading from there to the main undercarriage mounting points on either side of the fuselage.

Painting wise, the cockpit was cockpit green all over but the passenger compartment was only painted (cockpit green) up to a level just above the seats above that level the fuselage remained bare wood.

I hope I haven't put you off.

• Like 4

Cheers lads, glad to have you along for the ride.

I was reminded of how closely they landed together when I was researching last night.  Thats some skill and dedication!  I'd have to have a few whiskeys inside me before I'd attempt it... maybe some of the pilots did? 

Aeronut, thank you for the information, well recieved!  You haven't put me off at all, quite the opposite actually.  It's encouraged me to get it done.  I thought Op Deadstick was the actual mission, thats what you get for reading late at night when you have been awake since 4am... your eyes and brain does some crazy things... :nerd:  I will have to locate a few plans to see what goes where, like the glazing bars. 

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Nice to see a Horsa build - did one when I was a kid.  I had a DC3 tug and a Horsa with invasion stripes on both, based on Market Garden.  I got the Matchbox Long Range Desert Group set and build the SAS Jeep in European green and fitted it inside the Horsa.  I have a link to Arnhem as my granddad was killed coming up the road to relieve it & is buried in Oosterbeek.

• Like 3

Great subject, I went to Pegasus Bridge over Easter, fascinating museum there and they have a full size replica Horsa there as well.

I built this kit when I was a lad - look forward to seeing your progress! 

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks lads for your interest! 

After Aeronut's helpful advice, I was going to attempt to correct the kit.  Then I looked at my BF-110/ME-109 which where used last year and they look liked they have been in a war themselves.  The kids basically picked them up and broke them... intentionally or not I couldn't say. The BF-110 was particularly annoying as I had AM stuff on it, all broken.  So in light of this, the Horsa is going to be basic, buttoned up and pretty much OOB.  HOWEVER!  I will be building one at a later date doing all of the corrections that Aeronut has suggested. :)

Done some work on her today. 

34185770162_a2c18d610c_b.jpg

Just doing the basic colour inside, you wont see it as it'll be buttoned up.  I lost one of the control sticks... damn carpet monster!  Decided it wasn't that much bother as it's only for display at the school.

34343890435_01ea7246da_b.jpg

For some reason I can not find the other pictures of the wing that I had... Anyhow.  When I saw these wings I knew I was going to have trouble with them.  I built a Hurricane where the wings joined up like above and had lots of trouble with them.  That was when I first came back to the hobby all those years and kits ago.  This time I wasn't going to make the same errors I made last time.  So I got the plastic strip out and make some tabs.  Those where all glued on the centre "spar" to act as guidance for the other side.  These where mated up and are now sitting on my desk curing.  I've also got a Typhoon plus a Male/Female tank on the go as well.  Hoping to get them done soon.  Sorry it's a mini-update.

Thinking of buying the Xtradecal sheet X72195 that has a Horsa and Dakota in it.  I am thinking of doing the Dakota after the Horsa.  Plus I like the decal that says "The Channel stopped you, but not us, our turn"

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Fantastic project Dazz, Steven ambrose wrote a book about Pegasus bridge. after the tour he was on was suprisingly taken by a chap called John Howard who just happened to be visiting the bridge and had a little knowledge of what went on there in 1944, at the time he didn't know who he was. I read the book on a flight, I just couldn't put it down. If you need any pictures, I work at Middle Wallop there's various bits in the museum down the road.

• Like 1

The serial numbers supplied in the kits I think are a little suspect , one I looked up I think turned out to be an Oxford and another a Lancaster , and I think a couple were possibly transposed , Mk1 for Mk 11 .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi People,

Thank you for your continued interest in this project.  @Ozzy thank you for the kind offer.  I would love to have some interor shots if specifically where the cockpit meets the main cabin. I'm going to be making another Horsa at a later date all open and showing off the goodies.  

So I've been working on and off with this one over the week.  I've buttoned her up, done a basic paint job inside the cabin that no one is ever going to see.  The cockpit is quite visable (BUGGER!), for once I was hoping it wasn't.  Picture below...

34511838496_25abd5ab37_b.jpg

Here is the Horsa with the Airfix 1/72 Typhoon (crappy paint job on that) and two WW1 tanks (Male and Female).  The Horsa must have been massive in real life... Wingspan looks to be the same if not bigger than a Lancasters (going from model size).  Hoping to get her mained soon.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

As big as a bomber, but a tenth of the price.  According to one of the Horsa pilots at Jet Age.

Here's my take on an Airfix Horsa from 2015.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
Completed
  • Like 1

Dazz,

ive found these on my I pad, the lighting in the museum isn't the best hope they help. 

fb0e505fc302c5552e6157e5917275a4_zps83gc

451b7c6ec9bdbae6e871c77bc80108b0_zps2iob

1c62b9cfef2c79f41374fdb1f26ee729_zpszjcl

1f47aa8bab31898d4a368c662bdf7ccf_zpsd6rj

c1862e96b5ff95a7c67de1e48342ff3f_zpsreza

28bf50cef24bf9a807fa9262f67ada4e_zpsytnr

5ce83711c208607ef90078ac2fba63f8_zpsr1cg

522f0594a01ff4c780d26cbb032b9a2f_zpssx4x

4256e427749dd7550cab515d16229eaa_zpscxm2

• Like 3

Found my old teenage effort in the loft with its tow

20170509_164859_zpsaj4rrnez.jpg

Covered in dust & most of the undercarriage gone.  And a very dodgy hand paint job.  Yours will no doubt look better!

• Like 1

Thank for the interest and inspiration lads...

@theplasticsurgeon, Your Horsa is great!  I love the execution of it (is that the right word?).  The more I read into these "little" gliders the more I think that the pilots where either off their heads or the bravest men this planet will ever know...  Love the black/grey invasion stripes too, even if they where incorrect.

@Ozzy,  Wow those pictures are fantastic!  I see that there is a little step from the cockpit to the main cabin, that is interesting to know.  I think the MK.II version is the one I will look into making next, is the chap in the first picture yourself? ;)  I will have to make a trip to your museum soon, wonder if I can drag the other half with me?  She owes for going to a cake thing with her in London ;)  Those will be very very handy. :)

@bar side, Love both of those models, the Dakota is really good also!  I have the new Airfix DC-3 to make as well, I was going to turn that into a tug ship like you have. I just need to buy the decals from the big H.

Well everyone, I have been working on the Horsa the last few days, I got the nose on and felt it was ready to paint.  Fitted the landing gear and... it's a bloody tail sitter!  I literally crammed the whole cockpit floor with liquid gravity to the point that if I was to throw this at someone, it will cause damage... wonder if I can throw it at next door? (we don't get on).  So I have had to break the nose off, and I can trying to put as much weight in as I can, however I feel this is a fight I will loose... sorry the update isn't that great.

In related news... I have recieved requests for this years "show".... Falklands and Korean Wars... so I have to find a Scorpion (the aircraft is simple enough) and a Centurion with a Sea Fury.... joy...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Thanks Dazz.  I'd forgotten to update that thread.

I have corrected the stripes to white, fairly soon after first showing it to Ken.

Airfix_AS58_HorsaWS_zpsfxpo51q9.jpg

I never considered tailsitting. But my model is on a stand.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 1

The real Horsa could be tail sitters, that's why they all had  a tail support strut. Italeri (and Bronco on their 1:35 kit) have molded it incorrectly as a rectangular blade shape under the rear fuselage. Rather than the simple sliding tube affair on the real aircraft.

• Like 1

On 1 May 2017 at 11:38 AM, NZKIWI said:

The serial numbers supplied in the kits I think are a little suspect , one I looked up I think turned out to be an Oxford and another a Lancaster , and I think a couple were possibly transposed , Mk1 for Mk 11 .

Dan Taylor Models does a 'correction' sheet for the serials. He also does some fine figures of troops getting into a glider.

• Like 1

p.s. Nice story. I was in Arnhem for work a few years back the day after one of the anniversary services and catching a train back to Schipol. An old para sporting his beret was at the ticket window just as I walked up behind him. He was told "thank you but go catch your train no-one will ask you for a ticket" & in the carriage all the way to the airport there were polite awed kids  being brought to shake this old man's hand and told why they should remember this by their parents.

Utterly lovely to have witnessed the reverence their efforts and sacrifice was(is) held in

• Like 1

On 14/05/2017 at 10:49 PM, Aeronut said:

The real Horsa could be tail sitters, that's why they all had  a tail support strut. Italeri (and Bronco on their 1:35 kit) have molded it incorrectly as a rectangular blade shape under the rear fuselage. Rather than the simple sliding tube affair on the real aircraft.

There is a little clear plastic bit in my kit, but it is literally a stand and not meant to be seen.  I've got around it by just pumping in lots of liquid gravity.

On 17/05/2017 at 10:20 PM, rich2010 said:

Dan Taylor Models does a 'correction' sheet for the serials. He also does some fine figures of troops getting into a glider.

Thats handy to know, thank you Rich.  I will have a look at it when I make the second (improved) version. :)

On 18/05/2017 at 1:55 AM, Sea Vixen said:

Have a look at these...

Some handy Horsa interior pics!

Ah fantastic!  That is very helpful Sea Vixen, and has just the shot I was looking for (from the cabin to the cockpit.  Interesting to note how far the control column comes up, in the kit version it barley reaches the height of the canopy. 

On 18/05/2017 at 11:27 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

p.s. Nice story. I was in Arnhem for work a few years back the day after one of the anniversary services and catching a train back to Schipol. An old para sporting his beret was at the ticket window just as I walked up behind him. He was told "thank you but go catch your train no-one will ask you for a ticket" & in the carriage all the way to the airport there were polite awed kids  being brought to shake this old man's hand and told why they should remember this by their parents.

Utterly lovely to have witnessed the reverence their efforts and sacrifice was(is) held in

Nice to see that they are still being treated with the respect they deserve!  My mum went to the Netherlands a year or so ago and she said that they where treated very kindly then.  She did mention to the people she was staying with about my interests and she said the respect that was in their voices and the way they spoke was amazing.  She also said "You wouldn't get that from the little gits over here..." I think she might be right...

On 14/05/2017 at 10:34 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Thanks Dazz.  I'd forgotten to update that thread.

I have corrected the stripes to white, fairly soon after first showing it to Ken.

Airfix_AS58_HorsaWS_zpsfxpo51q9.jpg

I never considered tailsitting. But my model is on a stand.

I was thinking how everyone else got around the tailsitting issue... your method is just cheating! :P

So in the end I got really really annoyed with my one so I just dumped lots of liquid gravity into the nose (picture below).  I am hoping that it wont be seen as I have painted over the top of the weight with black paint.  There is supposed to be a little board that goes around the front of the canopy, but can I find it?  Can I bugger!... So black it is!  At least she now sits on her nose... picture below.  I will be ordering the Xtradecal D-Day sheet tomorrow, that way I have the Horsa and I am hoping the Dakota that pulled it.

34643657342_440e8264b0_b.jpg

Kind Regards,

Dazz

On 18 May 2017 at 11:27 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

That reminds me of a visit I made to Arnhem courtesy of Friends of Duxford a while ago. Absolutely amazing and it coincided with the 60th anniversary of Market Garden. After watching the para. drop at Renkum Heath - a number of veterans dropped then, in tandem with dare I say younger men - incredibly moving- then to THE BRIDGE.  I and another wandered around taking in the sights and snapping away and came to a point near the bridge.  We spotted a memorial plaque on the wall and went to look at it.  I'm ashamed to say we failed to spot an elderly gentleman sitting on a bench nearby, until he said "I'm sorry if I'm in the way - I'll move".  It was then we noticed the blazer and maroon beret.  Suffice to say we asked him not to move and apologised for disturbing him.  After visiting the bridge we went to the Hartenstein hotel and to Osterbeek before going back to our hotel in Nijmegan.  I went to the bar for light refreshment and who should be there but some veterans from Easy Company.  What an experience.

The downside was when we visited the Cemetary.  A woman marched along the path just outside and complained audibly that a lot of old men wherein her way.  True, they were standing chatting.  She ignored the fact that they were in blue blazers and maroon berets, plus medals.  One of our party told her exactly what he thought of her and suggested she walk in the road ...

LostCosmonaut's post reminded me of that trip.  It is amazing how the Dutch people still remember Market Garden and revere and honour the men involved.  I've seen the schoolchildren visiting the Cemetary to place flowers on the graves.  They remember but I wonder how many British children have even heard of Arnhem or Market Garden.

Great read there Jonny, and to answer your questions.  I'd say not many, you could probably count the amount on a leppers left hand (can you still say that?  Is it un-pc to say it?).

So I dont some work over the weekend on this beastie.  I got my decal sheet from Hannants (no pictures yet), so I will be doing a scheme from there. :)

34935812046_1966b75608_b.jpg 

This is where she stands at the moment, I'm going to paint the camo of dark earth/green on top first then the black/night all over.  The rear stripes are probably wrong and crooked but from my understanding, they where never perfect anyhow, thats my excuse and I am sticking to it.

More to come soon!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 2

• 10 months later...