Hip, Hip hooray!! Hobby Boss' Mi-8 made to actually look like one.

Coming along nicely Craig. One little detail I like to point out. Cable looms are normally not twisted as you represented them as it would make it very difficult to replace one cable in case of a defect (I twisted them in the past myself as they handle easier that way).

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Wow that is tricky work to fill Craig, looks like you are getting stuck into though! Lovely bit of detailing too, especially since it's 1/72, it must feel tiny coming from 1/48! Look forward to how you tackle the interior.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 2

Update on progress so far, not a huge amount done due to work/gardening/cheesed off with the kit.

The cockpit area has been painted and built up and the only additions I have made are some belts from adhesive foil, as it comes the cockpit is not too bad and after some paint and detail painting looks okay, here's what it looks like now.

DSC05255_zpsxtqw5krj.jpg

DSC05256_zpsld4mhx5j.jpg

The other area I have worked on is the bulkhead between the cockpit and the cabin, which on the cockpit side is pretty good and only really needs painting to be acceptable.

DSC05257_zpsw8pssjlv.jpg

I have added the glazing in the cockpit door as none is provided in the kit. On the other side of this bulkhead there is a fair amount of detail which Hobby Boss didn't bother with so I have had a go at replicating, including the fire extinguisher (which is a bit too big but never mind) and it looks better to me now.

DSC05258_zpsyxxdp2gt.jpg

Thats it for today, going to try and be a bit more inspired with this build but it's proving difficult.

Thanks for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 6

Looking good  craig nice detailing on the door ,i like the fire extinguisher , you'll get through the cheesed off stage ,i have with the 111,here have a look at my latest acquisition, went over mikes yesterday,this will cheer you up it did me, 

Glynn

20170514_194847_zpsjhints4v.jpg

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Love the crisp painting Craig, the seats look very nice too! The extra detail will defo be worth it in the end, even if it slows down the progress at the beginning.

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 7:52 PM, Hewy said:

went over mikes yesterday,this will cheer you up it did me,

That would certainly cheer me up, watching you build it will cheer me up too. I was at Mikes on Sunday but restrained myself and just got some glue and paint.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I will plod on with this one, won't get much done this week as I will be at work most of the time.

• Like 1

More very slow progress, a lot of which isn't worthy of a picture yet but I hope to change that early next week. I am building the over sized extra fuel tank for inside the fuselage and this will be completed soon and then fitted inside the fuselage and plumbed in. The kit doesn't come with any seats for the interior and I don't have either the time or the inclination to build or buy any replacements so this bird will be used for transporting goods to and from the frozen North, in fact although this kit is much more accurate in the shape of the front fuselage I think the Zvezda kit wins hands down for extra details especially on the interior, it even has seats!

I have made a small start on the rotor blades. These come with extremely over sized raised detail on them which needs to be sanded back to a more realistic (almost disappeared) look, hopefully you can spot which is which in the picture below.

DSC05259_zpsiw82cr2g.jpg

Now as you are no doubt aware I am going to be using the decal sheet by Begemot for this build, well the owner of Begemot is one of our very own Britmodellers ( @kotey) and on seeing the age of the sheet I was using very kindly offered to send me a replacement from the latest updated print run, at no cost! Well they arrived safely the other day and not only were the Mi-8 decals in there but also a set of the Mi-8 stencil decals, I cannot thank Andrey enough for his generosity and the least I can do for him is give him the credit he deserves publicly, thanks mate. If ever I needed inspiration to finish this build then that is it!

Thanks for looking in.

Craig. 

• Like 6

On 22/05/2017 at 6:22 AM, modelling minion said:

I have made a small start on the rotor blades. These come with extremely over sized raised detail on them which needs to be sanded back to a more realistic (almost disappeared) look, hopefully you can spot which is which in the picture below.

DSC05259_zpsiw82cr2g.jpg

Correcting things like the oversized raised detail will result in a much more authentic look of the finished model - well executed Craig.

On 22/05/2017 at 6:22 AM, modelling minion said:

Now as you are no doubt aware I am going to be using the decal sheet by Begemot for this build, well the owner of Begemot is one of our very own Britmodellers ( @kotey) and on seeing the age of the sheet I was using very kindly offered to send me a replacement from the latest updated print run, at no cost! Well they arrived safely the other day and not only were the Mi-8 decals in there but also a set of the Mi-8 stencil decals, I cannot thank Andrey enough for his generosity and the least I can do for him is give him the credit he deserves publicly, thanks mate. If ever I needed inspiration to finish this build then that is it!

22 hours ago, kotey said:

Welcome, Craig, and good modelling. I'm did it as says in name of  group.

Terrific customer support by Begemot :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Time for some pictures of actual progress!

With the fuel tank completed it was time to get it fixed in place in the fuselage. I have scratch built a couple of supports based on ones seen in photos of the real thing, which are fortunately very basic and have glued them onto the fuselage floor, a small hole was then drilled into both the tank and the a/c wall and a small length of rubber tubing added to represent the fuel line which leads to the a/c main fuel tank. The metal straps on the tank are made from adhesive metal tape, very simple but quite effective.

DSC05305_zps9dcjq4un.jpg

With that done it was time to join the fuselage halves together, leading to this....

DSC05306_zpsklv0e29r.jpg

Finally beginning to look like a helicopter!

And just how much can you see in the rear fuselage?

DSC05307_zps5wjvzklr.jpg

Not a great deal! Even less when the clamshell doors will be added, oh well.

Now as you can imagine there are some areas which require more attention, and one of the main ones is the hole where the rear doppler box was under the tail boom.

DSC05308_zpsbxk6wew9.jpg

Not Hobby Boss' fault just one of the things needed for the version I am building and it has now been filled and when it sets it will be re-profiled. One area I just couldn't get to match as well as I liked is the area under the forward fuselage which for some reason just wouldn't sit right, probably down to me rather than anything else.

DSC05309_zpsrpyoy0kb.jpg

Shouldn't be too difficult to sort out though.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

No, not you unless we're identical... mine never sat right either on the bottom. Mine is sat in primer waiting to go into paint, every time I see this I get an urge to go paint it..... Good progress Craig :) Love the interior tank.

• Like 1

Got to agree with the two comments above - the tank really adds to the project. I'm sure you'll get that lower fuselage sorted :fight:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Great idea with the fuel tank Craig and carried out very well indeed, I'm sure you will make short work of that join too. I look forward to that great colour scheme you are planning, quite a different model to the norm.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 9:26 PM, Radleigh said:

No, not you unless we're identical... mine never sat right either on the bottom. Mine is sat in primer waiting to go into paint, every time I see this I get an urge to go paint it..... Good progress Craig :) Love the interior tank.

Glad to hear its not just me Radleigh. Would love to see what you can do with this one, what scheme do you have planned for it?

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Good work  on the tank and straps craig, its moving forwards now

Cheers Glynn, it is moving, just not very fast.

4 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Got to agree with the two comments above - the tank really adds to the project. I'm sure you'll get that lower fuselage sorted :fight:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, it will get there, eventually!

10 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Great idea with the fuel tank Craig and carried out very well indeed, I'm sure you will make short work of that join too. I look forward to that great colour scheme you are planning, quite a different model to the norm.

Thanks David, I will get them sorted but it might not be pretty, I think I will be a lot happier when I can get some paint on it. I have accidentally distracted myself with a 1/48 Mig-21 which might appear in a separate build thread on here.

• Like 2

Cheers guys,

The hole where the doppler box was has had its filler sanded and need more work to get the profile right so I have added some super glue on top of the filler and this will be sanded to shape and gives a good surface for painting, if the kit gets that far. I say this because I thought I would have a look and see how the replacement engine section fitted to the fuselage, I will let the 2 pictures below do the talking for me, other wise I might get banned!

DSC05332_zpsgj9ku8zi.jpg

DSC05333_zps1jf5q8he.jpg

Oh dear I thought (well not exactly) I seem to have a slight gap (again the language is not quite the same) and to top it off the engine section is pinched in in the middle, how unfortunate (this was when the language got really interesting). I have restrained myself from giving it a "test flight" into the bin (for now) and have put it all away so that I can have a think about what to do, I have also reached for a therapeutic 1/48 Mig-21 to help restore the modelling mojo which will be making an appearance on this GB very soon.

• Like 1

I was going to click on like this ,but I thought better not,if you see this through craig you'll need a medal the size of a dusbin lid,i can hear a bell ringing in the back ground , only way i can see is to  cut that resin part into all of its individual panels ,some stips of plasticard, bit of filler, and bobs your uncle, or like you say a test flight,  or filed for the future ,..but  i dont need to remind you  we're supposed to be enjoying this hobby, all the best any way, i can still hear that  bell

Glynn

• Like 1

I know what you mean Glynn, how can you click on "like" when something is going terribly wrong? And you should hear how loud the bell is at this end! No wonder you can hear it in Atherstone. As you can tell I am not enjoying this one bit and I don't like giving up on a kit (can't remember the last time I did it) but this one is getting me down, and this latest twist isn't even Hobby Boss' fault. I believe that a good Mil Mi-17 can be built from this kit straight from the box, if you keep it closed up, and I might well buy another to do just that so that I can use the decals so generously given to be by Begemot. We will see.

• Like 2