1/48 Kitty Hawk Sukhoi Su-17 Fitter ***FINISHED***

Muzz

Thanks chaps, it's a very nice cockpit and goes together well. Only area that could be problematic is the join between the instrument panel and the HUD/dash area, luckily Polish aircraft have canvas covers over this are so I made some up from scratch and it covered the join area. 

• Like 1

Not too much progress, building a few sub assemblies. Had to change the colour of the wheel bays as the grey was too dark.

20170513_104013_001.jpg

• Like 4

:)

Nice shock cone! How is the fit? The tranpatent part ic coming in the kit I guess, no?

Shame about the decals.... interestingly it seems that there are 2 työes of Polish insignias out there! With rounded/cut inner edges and normal squares! Never new!

About insignias,  there should be enough Polish ones around... the dedicated Su-22 decals are what worried me years ago!

Nice cockpit!!

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

:)

Nice shock cone! How is the fit? The tranpatent part ic coming in the kit I guess, no?

Shame about the decals.... interestingly it seems that there are 2 työes of Polish insignias out there! With rounded/cut inner edges and normal squares! Never new!

About insignias,  there should be enough Polish ones around... the dedicated Su-22 decals are what worried me years ago!

Nice cockpit!!

Thanks Werner. The fit of the shock cone is excellent, it has been well designed with a cut out at the bottom surface to accommodate part of the fuselage join tabs. There is a small sheet of thin clear plastic for the camera glass much the same as you get for HUD's with AM cockpits.

Didn't know about the two types of insignia either, I've plenty in the spares box so it's not a problem and the rest of the decals are fine. They have another set out with the up to date grey scheme included which I was going to buy, making me think twice now though.

Muzz

Nose gear bay done, added the insulated pipe along the roof of the bay.

All the bits ready for assembly.......

20170518_213209.jpg

20170518_190021_edit_1495139700597.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Finally another update! Getting reading to join the fuselage halves, the cockpit tub, front gear bay and shockcone are all fixed in position.

20170602_004755.jpg

The engine/afterburner is painted up too, I cut away Part of the exhaust trunking to make the exhaust sit a bit further inside the fuselage, however, thinks it needs to sit further back still and I may just move the whole engine block forward.

20170602_011046.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've finished my build in the F-111 group build its full steam ahead with this....... well almost.

Main fuselage parts together.

20170621_193553_edit_1498086976159.jpg

Main gear bays.

20170621_203117.jpg

20170621_203338_edit_1498087970820.jpg

• Like 9

Since their Jaguars I've been reluctant to buy any more KH kits, but this looks to be going together pretty well so far.

Looking forward to more.

John

PS how many times will you break off the nose wheel strut before it's finished?

Ok, been a bit lax with the updates but sometimes I just get my head down and get on with things, forgetting to take photos. Fuselage is complete as is the wings. I decided to paint the wings prior to assembly due to the swing wing design. 

I've fallen out with Hataka paints, initially thought they were not bad but really not impressed. Spray on ok to start with but then it's as if they separate in the cup and end up being too thin, had thought I was thinning them too much but seems to do it even without. I pretty sure their thinners is just water and fairy liquid! When you do get a decent coverage it stays tacky and doesn't seem to dry. Enough!

Anyway here's the sub assemblies, main fuselage and lower wings painted with MRP Grey/Blue. Still to camo main fuselage and considering stripping paint off upper wings!

20170628_164635_edit_1498674214817.jpg

20170628_164657.jpg

• Like 7

Under wings  have painted up very well,  and good work on the fuselage ,that has built up nicely considering the way  you build it ,muzz what paints are you going to use on this now ? Akan  all over ? Cant say i blame you for the hakata dilemma, use the ones you have left to start  painting the  bathroom, looking good though,  the "su" not  the bathroom:P

Glynn

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Under wings  have painted up very well,  and good work on the fuselage ,that has built up nicely considering the way  you build it ,muzz what paints are you going to use on this now ? Akan  all over ? Cant say i blame you for the hakata dilemma, use the ones you have left to start  painting the  bathroom, looking good though,  the "su" not  the bathroom:P

Glynn

Cheers Glynn, I'll use a mix of Akan and Mr Hobby/Gunze.

• Like 2

I really love Akan paints. Pricey and you don't get much but they brush paint with no lines and most of their Russian colours are spot on. Nice wee bottles too. I'm dying to see this finished Muzz but enjoying watching it building up..

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I really love Akan paints. Pricey and you don't get much but they brush paint with no lines and most of their Russian colours are spot on. Nice wee bottles too. I'm dying to see this finished Muzz but enjoying watching it building up..

Akan is indeed spot on in color...that part I do like. What I have had issues with is the adhesion with some of the colors. I have no idea if it was a bad batch but even with good primer, they can lift off or in one case it seems like I need to set the work down on a soft pillow to avoid marks or chips. I thought I read that Hataka responds well with Tamiya or Mr. Color lacquer thinners? I also thought I read that Hataka will be releasing a lacquer line of paints?

Muzz, keep the faith. Your work is fantastic and I will be saving this thread for my KH Su-17 in the future.

• Like 2