Sukhoi Su-20

Jabba

This Is my offering for this GB. I will be using the recent Modelvits Su-20 kit to make an aircraft from the Iraqi Air Force, which to my surprise were still being used in the 1991 Gulf War, with a few escaping to Iran. Although I show the kit decals I will not be using them, but I will be using the Linden Hill set for Iraqi Fighters. I will get a shot of them when I get my spare room sorted as it is full of boxes that need to go into the stash storage facility, but unfortunately my mistake back is not allowing me to do this.

The kit.

resized_9cdfe286-da0d-4a89-a3c7-d3ae8e76

resized_e3afa6aa-3e54-4e75-9d1e-49c77340

resized_7dd9e910-9b12-48d7-82d5-51fee981

Some references.

resized_0eb87764-c008-4c93-aaf8-b6fa2c89

Edited by Jabba
Because Photobucket has changed.
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

According the book "Iraqi Fighter" they had 18 of the type that served with No1 Sqn.

Thanks!

I knew of Poland and Egypt from the top of my head! Saves me going through the literature :)

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

I have started to put some of the parts together. For the wings I had to shave done a fair bit of the sweeping wing panel at the attachment point just to get the non swing part of the wing to glue together and then with some heavy clamping. The leading edge of the sweeping panel is a bit on the blunt side, so I shall be carrying this filing down of the rest of it so that it blends in better. The engine was a bit fiddly getting together as the part that joins the bulkhead is made up of 3 parts and then the other part is made from 2 parts and then it is joined together.

resized_9b444941-3113-43fc-bc11-87040b74

A closer view of the cockpit. The instrument panel is painted and decaled awaiting fitment before it s all glued to the fuselage.

resized_d2040880-c3c9-4656-8607-7477dbaf

some more reading material that I found when looking for something else on my bookshelf. These all have something on the Su-17/20 form the early prototypes to the later version with the fairing under the fwd fuselage.

resized_74c06d25-2312-45a5-8ee9-526eece8

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 3

A small update on where  I am at the moment. I have the fuselage together, and I have almost finished with the wings. Unfortunately I had in that where the swinging part of the wing meets the fixed part there was a big gap that would not be treated with filler. So I did the super glue baking powder trick, but this glued one of the wings fixed in the unswept position. This in the long run is not too much of a problem in that I will display the model like this at shows, but for storage at home and travelling to shows I would have folded the wings in. I am a bit apprehensive about gluing the wings to the fuselage as there is not much of a positive location for them. Also is a photo of the decal sheet.

resized_fb38a2a4-5af2-4b50-8e34-3bd9e851

resized_3a91ca55-7332-4dc4-9f25-39ecef4e

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 4

Nice work! I too am interested in this kit - I've always liked the Sukhois with the 'semi-swing wing' arrangement ('semi' because a considerable part of the wing is fixed).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for the kind comments.

As for fit well there are no positive location spigots on any parts. That said with the cockpit together and the engine in place the fuselage fits together quite well. The engine is made up of several pieces which was a bit of a pain to make. As I have already mentioned above the wings have been a bit of a problem, as it took a lot of trial and test fitting to get it together, and even now that I have I don't think that I have got it right. The one thing that I am not looking forward to is the fitting of the wings to the fuselage as although there is a small trough in the fuselage and a corresponding lump (I think that there is a better term, but I cannot think of it now) on the forward part of the inner wings, I still cannot get it to fit right during the testing that I am carrying out at the moment. On the whole at the moment I would recommend this kit to those who do have a bit of patience to build it. I say this as I also have 2 other of the Sukhoi swing wings in the stash so I think that they will go together in the same fashion, so I will be learning as I go along to try and make each kit fit better.

• Like 3

I have now got the wings on. The one on the left in the photo below was a little bit of a pain in that when I fitted it to the fuselage the angle it sat at was not correct with corresponding drawings or the other wing. What I found was that there was a small amount of upwards play in the wing. So armed with super glue I got the wing in the correct position, but after a minute or so the glue would not go off. So I did the super glue baking powder trick, which you can see the results now. I have also ran some normal plastic  and liquid poly into the joints of both wings to hopefully give them a bit more strength. More later in the week.

resized_e9f71645-7acf-4c88-a32d-1587c8fc

resized_2acdfe31-c2c4-4f6c-8d31-4dc49a19

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 3

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:57 AM, modelling minion said:

Good work on getting her to this stage Jabba, she is really taking shape now.

I wish that someone would do this version of the Su-17 in 1/48 as I have always preferred it's look to the later M3/M4 versions.

I think I know what you mean. Looking through the Zlinek books that I have on this subject it shows the lineage of the aircraft from the prototype Su-7IG which is basically a Su-7 with the swing wing fitted through the early Su-17M (S-32) which looks like the aircraft I am building, but still has the conduit runs either side of the fuselage spine, getting more refined until the Su-17M2 which had the fairing under the nose. They definitely looked a lot sleeker until that fairing came along. Then of cause came the M3/M4 versions.

• Like 2

I have got the wing fences fitted to the non swivelling part of the wing. The inner ones were fairly simple, but the outer ones were a different story. They do come as one piece and I think are meant to slip over the position were that are to fit and then add glue. Unfortunately I had a slightly different story in that although the fence would fit over the wing it would not sit at the place were it was meant to fit correctly. So with a lot of fettling, testing and more fettling I finally got the to fit more or less where they are supposed to fit. I think that it took about an hour on each side to get them to fit, with minor adjustments as I went so that I did not take of too much. I have still ended up with some biggish gaps where the front of the fence meets each wing, but it is something that I can put up with and is easily remedied with filler.

resized_84228d6b-a847-4d7d-bcbe-93d9f424

resized_95270a61-9ab2-4381-aae7-2a356a9c

resized_bb346073-e45b-4777-b7e8-e6b01e0f

resized_6d9da08b-0c39-491e-acef-e58589eb

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

Thanks Peter, all is good now.

I have now fitted the intakes to the fuselage that you associate with Russian aircraft, plus I have added the weapons pylons. Hopefully this week I will start painting this model. I am not sure what weaponry to fit but there will be some fuel tanks as they seem to be fit either to the wing or fuselage pylons most of the time.

resized_9b3be21f-be39-4afc-9b18-73b7b018

resized_bdfa360b-5898-4390-aff1-d3eea918

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A slight update as to where I am at the moment. I have applied paint to the lower surfaces and I was going to tack glue on the canopy so that I could paint the upper surfaces and remove the canopy after this to fit the ejection seat. But to my horror the canopy would not fit that well. So I have taken some material from the instrument covering so that it does fit a bit better, but it will still require a bit of serious clamping for it to sit ibn its correct position. So I have decided to make up the ejection seat, paint and fit this before I try and fit the canopy permanently so that I can then paint the upper surfaces. After I had made up the ejection seat I gave it a trial fit and surprise surprise it did not fit into the cockpit without yet again the removal of plastic so that it fitted. So I will paint the ejection seat and see how we go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Camo scheme now painted. I still have a few parts to paint like the green aerials here and there, plus the part where the outer wing folds into the inner wing. Once these areas have been painted I will apply a coat of Klear and start decaling.

resized_546146df-f787-44c9-b485-5d9f5652

resized_d5ab870f-75e8-4f18-a61d-bed26013

resized_070cb775-0c3e-4c97-8589-499f61fc

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2