F-4 Phantom Vietnam camo question

billn53

I have the decals shown below and noticed something unusual, so I thought I'd ask the experts. Notice that the camo pattern on the 2nd bird appears to be a mirror image of what is more typically seen (i.e., the left side pattern is what is more often seen on the right side of Vietnam camo Phantoms). Can anyone confirm this? I've never seen this in any photos.

33883476410_26c6c074d9_c.jpg

Thanks!

Seems close to pictures of the this aircraft with the same serial number.  It seems, though this aircraft is in a Turkish livery, not in the same livery as the decal sheet.  It probably is a restored aircraft and the decal makers patterned the camo scheme after the restoration.  The reason I think this is a restored paint job is in the background, there are roped areas with civilians in casual clothes just wandering about.  Didn't see that too often in Vietnam/surrounding countries when I was there. 

Image result for F-4E 670210

Thanks Georgeusa. In your pic, the left side of the nose below the canopy is in green whereas on the decal sheet it is tan. The decal sheet's pattern looks like left side and right side are reversed from what is more commonly seen. If the decal sheet is correct, then it appears the aircraft was painted backwards?

The instructions are wrong. I have a picture of 67-0210 with ZF tail code from the Vietnam War, and it has the standard scheme. The pattern on the instructions are a mirror image of the real thing.

Jens

Some photo's of it here with the markings as seen on the decal sheet. Note that these pics were taken after their deployment at their home base Homestead AFB. As you can see 67-0210 had red canopy bases by then. I have a b/w pic of the same plane during its Vietnam tour where it may have flown without this, but it's hard to tell. It certainly didn't have the sharkmouth on that pic.

@georgeusa, The pic of it in Turkish service was taken at an airshow at Yeovilton, hence the civilian crowd in the background.

Edited by Creepy Pete

9 hours ago, georgeusa said:

The reason I think this is a restored paint job is in the background, there are roped areas with civilians in casual clothes just wandering about.  Didn't see that too often in Vietnam/surrounding countries when I was there. 

Image result for F-4E 670210

That pic was taken during an airshow in Turkey, there's nothing to indicate that the camo was "restored".

67-0210 went there in 1987, part of Peace Diamond IV, and Turkey is not known to repaint straight away aircraft bough second hand.

10 hours ago, Antoine said:

That pic was taken during an airshow in Turkey, there's nothing to indicate that the camo was "restored".

67-0210 went there in 1987, part of Peace Diamond IV, and Turkey is not known to repaint straight away aircraft bough second hand.

but this one is repainted, after deleting the big black outlined white call numbers from intakes...

10 hours ago, Antoine said:

The pic, like I said earlier, was taken at the Yeovilton air day in 2000. And it has been repainted multiple times since that summer of 1972. Previous camo schemes include both SEA wraparound and Euro 1 wraparound, both with the 4th TFW at Seymour Johnson AFB. It probably was repainted a couple times in Turkish service as well by the time that pic was taken.