Antonov twins double build - An-24T and An-30 - finished

zebra

On 6/28/2017 at 10:11 PM, Basilisk said:

looks like a lot of work went into this two fuselages :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter!

Edited by zebra

13 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I agree, a lot of good work is going into these two very interesting builds.

Thanks Minion!

Yes there's a bit of work going into it - as I've said before, nothing really fits first time so you have to put a bit of work into it - but it's not at all arduous. More a case of slow and steady wins the race.

Nacelles are on. Some more fettling was needed - at first they wanted to sit about 0.5mm too far outboard. This seemed to have two causes: The undercarriage strut seems to push the nacelle sides out slightly so it's slightly bulged in profile, and the bottom half of the inner wing seemed to be too wide. A bit of scraping and filing got them to fit pretty well. Meanwhile I've assembled the outer wings, there's a bit of cleaning up needed but they went together ok. Might not get much time tomorrow, but if I do I could have the airframes basically complete.

Here's how they're looking tonight:

Antonov WIP

• Like 3

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Really taking shape now, good job getting the wings on.

Craig.

Thanks Craig. As with everything else in these builds, the wings didn't fit, but didn't need a lot of work to get them to fit. The spars slotted quite nicely into the grooves inside the outer wing, all that was needed to get a decent fit was to remove a bit of plastic from the lower piece to allow the top part to butt up properly against the centre section.

Got some primer on today, cleaning up a few blemishes and might start to get some paint on tomorrow.

• Like 2

Part way through painting both of them. White and aluminium bits on both are done. The lower fuselage, wings and tailplanes of the An-24T appear to have been painted aluminium, so I've got that done and will follow up with the grey cheat line, then the yellow and finally black cheat line. The blue and red of the An-30 are done, grey lower fuselage and wings needed, then some smaller details. I'd really better get the decal design finished for the An-30, I'll be needing it soon.

Here's how they look tonight:

An-24T part painted

An-30 part painted

• Like 2

A bit more progress - finished the decal design for the An-30. There's a bit of speculation in the design of the winged logo, since I can't find a good detailed photo, but it's so small that I doubt anyone will notice! There are twice as many decals as I need in this sheet - I like to print some spares.

An-30 decal sheet design

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radleigh said:

They look great! I wish I could do my own decals, some stunning schemes out there for the An-30.. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Radleigh. This is my second go at doing my own decals - the first was the Tu-134 earlier this year - turned out to be surprisingly straightforward. Finding the more complex images online really helps - the Mongolian flag and the symbol within the winged logo in this case - the rest was pretty simple. I've not printed these ones yet but got great results last time using Experts Choice decal paper and a fairly inexpensive inkjet printer. Can't do anything with white in it though!

Very nice progress zebra and they are looking very smart with some paint on!

On 10/07/2017 at 0:12 AM, zebra said:

... Can't do anything with white in it though!

You can if you use white decal paper - as long as the white colour isn't part of the outer border colour.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Peter. Got a bit more paint on today and hopefully will get the all important mustard yellow on the An-24T tomorrow - will post more photos if I get that done tomorrow.

More painting done today. I got the grey onto the An-30 and the mustard yellow onto the An-24T. 

I have to say I'm really pleased with how the mustard yellow came out! It's a mix of Tamiya yellow and dark yellow (XF-3 and XF-60) and it looks a lot like the yellow in the photographs. It also looks a lot like the colour of our next door neighbour's Morris Marina in about 1979! 

Just need to do the black cheat line on the An-24T, the black panels on the engine nacelles on both of them, and the red tips on the wings and tailplanes of the An-30, plus a few touch-ups, then it'll be decal time.

Here's how they're looking tonight:

An-24T WIP

An-30 WIP

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

The mustard yellow does indeed look spot-on :clap2:

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter! I really love this colour. Since these photos were taken I've added the black strips - and was mightily relieved that I didn't pull any yellow paint off with the masking tape. Touching up flaws would have been a nightmare - not sure I'd have been able to get an exact match for the yellow.

When I started these two I was more enthusiastic about the An-30 than the An-24 - since I found this colour scheme and got the An-24 painted, it's the An-24 that I'm most looking forward to seeing finished.

Decals today - will post more photos tonight. Then a few of the jobs I hate, like painting wheels and props

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Touching up flaws would have been a nightmare - not sure I'd have been able to get an exact match for the yellow.

When using custom mixed paint, it is always a good idea to put aside some of the mixed paint until the model is completed to correct the little mishaps ;)

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Then a few of the jobs I hate, like painting wheels and props

Exactly how I feel about all the small parts.

Cheers, Peter

3 hours ago, Basilisk said:

When using custom mixed paint, it is always a good idea to put aside some of the mixed paint until the model is completed to correct the little mishaps

which was what occurred to me shortly after cleaning out the mixing jar...

Decals on the An-24T and masks off. Managed to put a big scratch on the grey bit of the nose whilst doing it - touched up, noticeable in a certain light, but doesn't look too bad. The yellow is still intact.

The Bsmodelle decals were nice - I'd use them again. They're printed on a single piece of continuous film so have to be trimmed carefully, but that's not a problem. The film is thin and looks invisible on the model. Not too thin - no danger of folding up on themselves like some decals. A bit sticky though - you have to be very careful with the placement, once they're on they're not moving!

A bit of dust on the inside of the windscreen unfortunately. A bit late to remove it now!

Here's how it looks this afternoon. Moving on to the decals on the An-30 now, probably won't finish them today though. Will do it when I can grab a bit of time here and there during the week... going to be a big week at work though.

An-24T WIP

An-24T WIP

An-24T WIP

• Like 2

Thanks Peter. Will get a bit more done on the An-30 today, unlikely to be finished today though. Decals are on, with mixed results - I'm happy with the markings but the decals are a bit thick so whilst they've gone on ok and there's very little silvering, the carrier film is still visible. About to go into the garage to spray a coat of semi-gloss varnish, hopefully that will make it less visible.