What paintbrush brand is recommended for a beginner?

Valleyofvallejo

Yes they should be pretty good. Winsor and Newton are well known for producing good quality brushes of all types although, as always try to avoid their 'student' ranges like 'Cotman' and 'Galeria'. Their 'Cirrus' pure sables are a rather good brush as well at a very reasonable price if you are looking for small round brushes for detail work.

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:07, LaurieS said:

That is the problem Beardie. Once the point separates into a fork toss it in the bin as they do not recover

Nooooooo.........don't do that! That's when they take on a whole new use. Applying pigments and pastels. It doesn't matter so much about them forking. And when they get too bad, just cut the hairs to about 3mm and use them for stippling. Ideal for creating a cast texture on the hull of a tank after first applying some MEK.

John.

• Like 3

Valleyofvallejo, do yourself a favour and pick up a set of Humbrol Coloro brushes.

Here in the UK they work out about £1 each. Since getting back into modelling last year, I’ve used them on every build. Value for money, and great with acrylics.

I can only speak from my own experience, but in use they behave wonderfully, hold the right amount of paint and clean easily keeping their ‘point’ when washed. I do use ‘Masters’ brush cleaner, so perhaps that helps.

I’ve used many brands of brush over the years and have an ‘adequate’ supply of W&N Series 7s stashed away (I used to work for them;)), yet I still reach for the Coloros first.

The Humbrol brushes will never be as good as the more expensive ones, but for beginners (and even old hands) they are worth a punt.

4b68dc68-c6c2-4c9a-a522-00ca0cff7fd7.jpg

Mart

• Like 1

On 2017/4/29 at 00:59, Beardie said:

Yes they should be pretty good. Winsor and Newton are well known for producing good quality brushes of all types although, as always try to avoid their 'student' ranges like 'Cotman' and 'Galeria'. Their 'Cirrus' pure sables are a rather good brush as well at a very reasonable price if you are looking for small round brushes for detail work.

Are Royal & Langnickel brushes any good?

Now that is a difficult one. In my experience they are patchy, some are really good and some are no use. The plus side with them is that they are generally pretty cheap so can be considered reasonably disposable. For detail brushes you really want the best you can afford. You only need a few small round brushes. For painting larger areas flat brushes are the way to go and there is far less need for them to be first rate brushes.

I have always used red sable brushes for both enamel and acrylic.

Winsor & Newton 220 series Cirrus Kolinsky Sable are my favorites.

Pay a little more for a good brush, you will not regret it.

Edited by bcmmodels

8 hours ago, bcmmodels said:

I have always used red sable brushes for both enamel and acrylic.

Winsor & Newton 220 series Cirrus Kolinsky Sable are my favorites.

Pay a little more for a good brush, you will not regret it.

Thanks!

Many painters recommend W&N Series Kolinsky 7 over Miniature series 7 for the longer bristles, any opinion?  And which sizes are most usable for 1/35 figures, now I can only buy 2 Winsor brushes (one for general work (maybe "1" and the other for details- "00" or "000"), any recommendation?

Regards,

Proarte for me. Although I have many different makes and favourites for particular jobs. 

Cleaning them and wetting them with the right paint thinner is the key to long life.

I still have some cheap brushs from about 35 years ago that are still pretty good.

Rick.

2 hours ago, Venelin said:

Thanks!

Many painters recommend W&N Series Kolinsky 7 over Miniature series 7 for the longer bristles, any opinion?  And which sizes are most usable for 1/35 figures, now I can only buy 2 Winsor brushes (one for general work (maybe "1" and the other for details- "00" or "000"), any recommendation?

Regards,

Yes I'd say you're better off going with the standard Series 7 as these hold more paint. I've got a couple of miniatures and only use them for painting very small details, I won't replace them as the same can be done with the standard size!

I've never painted figures but I'd imagine a size 2 + 0 or a 1+00 combination would work fine. Someone has already mentioned it earlier but it is also worth thinking about purchasing some Master's brush cleaner to keep them in good condition.

This is where I purchase my Series 7 brushes from, I see you live in Bulgaria, but it may still work out cheaper for you?

http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/all-products/top-brands/winsor-newton/winsor-newton-series-7-finest-kolinsky-sable-brushes.html

This is the brush cleaner, 

http://www.artdiscount.co.uk/the-masters-brush-cleaner-75ml.html

Tim.

The DaVinci red sables are very good brushes.

One area I would go for the smallest brush you can get with a short synthetic hair is for those tiny details like the pupils of the eye on a figure and buttons etc. The synthetic won't hold as much paint and so is at less risk of flooding the area around the detail with paint. For this kind of work I use Proarte series 60 (prolon synthetic) size 20/0 and good magnification to steer me in to exactly where that tiny amount of paint needs to go.

I have no problem ordering brushes from UK via ebay, also I will buy the Masters cleaner/preserver (maybe the most important toll in the end, I didn't find it in my country). 

But I think will go with Da Vinci sable brushes for general work, more available and cheaper in the local stores, and one W&N brush for details (really want to try these :) ).

Thank you for the recommendations, Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-4-30 at 17:43, Beardie said:

Now that is a difficult one. In my experience they are patchy, some are really good and some are no use. The plus side with them is that they are generally pretty cheap so can be considered reasonably disposable. For detail brushes you really want the best you can afford. You only need a few small round brushes. For painting larger areas flat brushes are the way to go and there is far less need for them to be first rate brushes.

So Royal & Langnickel brushes are hit or miss? Which types (eg: round, flat) are the hits & which ones are the misses?