Scout Experimental 5a, 6 Sqn, AFC, 1918.

G'day All,

This is my representation of the Wingnut Wings SE.5a "Hisso" as operated by 6 Sqn AFC in 1918. I didn't aim to have it finished on ANZAC Day but its a most appropriate day to do so.

Built OOB except for the strap on the Lewis gun mag. All rigging was done using EZ Line. All painted with a hairy stick using Humbrol and Tamiya paints. I had a couple of goes doing the prop and I'm happy with it now. Not sure if the Bowden cable for the Lewis gun is that accurate but I will do me.

Oh and if you don't break and re-attach the rudder at least 5 times...........well you are not trying hard enough!!

Regards,

Devo

1_zpsha0bq7ub.jpg

3_zpsklpsbn7f.jpg

2_zpsu777etow.jpg

4_zps6jkv49rd.jpg

5_zpsjhppoxux.jpg

6_zpswqldirdb.jpg

7_zpszrekes5h.jpg

8_zps5l1rkn1d.jpg

9_zpsyiyzc3ey.jpg

Edited by Devo
Got rid of doubled up picture.
  • Like 48

21 minutes ago, cngaero said:

A superb model and a fine tribute to ANZAC day.

I must admit that these Wingnut Wings kits are very tempting. 

Thanks Chris.

Get a WNW kit and have ago! I bought this one in 2010, so it only took me 7yrs to muster the courage to tackle it!:thumbsup:

• Like 2

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

Brilliant 😎 model, so well made, and it would take me a long time as well to pluck up the courage to make one of their kits, I do plan on buying one this year 😊

21 hours ago, greggles.w said:

Excellent kits they may be, but an excellent outcome still takes a skilled & patient modeller such as you evidently are.  Congrats, looks most impressive!

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Outstanding work:worthy:

Thanks for looking and the comments Gents. I hope it helps to inspire those who have a WNW kit in the stash to get it out and have a go. The SE.5a is only my second ever WNW kit.

19 hours ago, Calum said:

It looks terrific Devo, I really like it. The prop looks great as well. 

You really get a good finish with a brush. Much better than I could. 

Thanks Calum. I'm still learning the prop thing, the first attempt was a bit ordinary and I'm glad I re-did it.

Doing the rigging does my head in though!:angry:

Brush painting is all I know, I've never had the gumption to pick up an airbrush in the 40 odd years of making models.:D

On 26/04/2017 at 11:26, Calum said:

It looks terrific Devo, I really like it. The prop looks great as well. 

You really get a good finish with a brush. Much better than I could. 

+1

Superb modelling and a great, and appropriate, scheme.  I love how Wingnut moulded the fabric creases in the fuselage.  Very convincing.  I think this scheme is included in one of the Roden 1/72 boxings. 

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

That is a truly beautiful bit of modelling. I guessing the Skippy on the fuselage band signifies an Australian pilot, do they give any info on him?

Steve.

Steve,

6 Sqn AFC was a training squadron set up to prepare fighter pilots for operations over the Western Front with 2 Sqn AFC.

7 aircraft types were used by 6 Sqn: SE.5a, Bristol Scout, Sopwith Camel/1 1/2 Strutter/Pup, Airco DH.5, Avro 504.

Only a guess by me but I'm tipping that the kangaroo was applied to the Sqn's aircraft so as to leave no doubt that the aircraft were part of the Australian Flying Corps( from Jan 1918), as opposed to being  30 (Australian Training) Squadron Royal Flying Corps, prior to Jan 1918.

Major Roy Cecil Phillips MC(Bar), DFC who had 15 kills was at one time the CO of 6 Sqn. 

Thanks for that info, sounds like something I need to swot up on a bit, I'm a bit detail light when it comes to this era. Is this the same 6 Sqn that went on to become the Flying Can Openers in WW2 or a specifically Australian 6 sqn, in what would have been the forerunner to the RAAF?

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Thanks for that info, sounds like something I need to swot up on a bit, I'm a bit detail light when it comes to this era. Is this the same 6 Sqn that went on to become the Flying Can Openers in WW2 or a specifically Australian 6 sqn, in what would have been the forerunner to the RAAF?

Steve.

Steve,

The "Flying Tin Opener's" were the WW2 Royal Air Force (RAF) 6 Sqn,. They got the nickname whilst flying Hurricane IID in North Africa.

6 Squadron was formed at Parkhouse, England, on 15 June 1917 as a flying training unit of the Australian Flying Corps (AFC). The unit was initially designated  30 (Australian Training) Squadron, Royal Flying Corps and its role was to train fighter pilots for service with No. 2 Squadron of the AFC (which was designated No. 68 (Australian) Squadron RFC at the time) on the Western Front. 6 Squadron was disbanded in March 1919.

In January 1920, the AFC was replaced by the Australian Air Corps, which in turn became the Australian Air Force on 31 March 1921 with the King’s consent to become the Royal Australian Air Force on 13 August 1921.

HTH.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, WildeSau75 said:

Wow - impressive model - like it.

Cheers,

Michael

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, matteo44 said:

Fantastic model !!!

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, Mountain goat said:

My hat off to you Sir. Very nice job.

Jay

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:51 AM, Viking said:

Outstanding result Devo, it is a real beauty. And brush painted too, amazing!

Cheers

John

16 hours ago, Michael louey said:

Great build of the Wingnuts kit. I've just bought a 1/72 Roden kit and it has the same marking options!

15 hours ago, TheLurker said:

+1

11 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice SE5, looks great 

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Superb modelling and a great, and appropriate, scheme.  I love how Wingnut moulded the fabric creases in the fuselage.  Very convincing.  I think this scheme is included in one of the Roden 1/72 boxings. 

1 hour ago, kiwitrogg said:

Nice work Devo, you've done it justice.  Your brush painting is spot on and the prop looks good to me too.

:speak_cool:

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks fella's:D