Humbrol Dark Earth and Matt Green drying patchy

bertielissie

Hello Chaps and Lasses,

Well I'm in the process of building the Airfix 1/24th Big Spittie Mk 1. and I've struck a painting problem with Humbrol matt enamels.

As is my normal approach I gave the kit a jolly good sand to remove all the rivets . It's a kit I've had in the stash for some years. so it's not the new Airfix mould.

I've sprayed the bottom with Humbrol Sky and there were no issues. I masked it up and set about spraying Dark Earth on top..Thoroughly thinned with GP thinners as I have done for years. Applied 3 mist coats,allowing each coat to thoroughly dry. I noticed some patchy spots but thought I could gently sand them out after applying the Dark Green camouflage.

Guess what? The green had the same issues. So far I've gone over the Humbrol Green with Model Master RAF Green,which I think is too dark but I can live with that.

So my question is should I do the same with the Dark Earth? I've given the upper surfaces a few mist coats of Model Master Gloss Lacquer just to seal everything up.

I just don't want to go through the process of of using Model Master enamels for the Earth.

The Humbrol tinlets are the latest available here in Australia so I'm thinkinking the formulation is straight out of the UK.

Have any of you had issues with the "new" Humbrol tinlets.

I dread the thought of stripping back the complete upper surface,

Cheers from Melbourne on ANZAC Day.

Bertie

Hi Bertie,

Do you have any pictures? It's difficult to say without seeing the problem but as you describe it - well it might be that you have to go over the Dark Earth again in order to get a finish you can live with... that's really something only you can decide though.

As for how it happened, without wishing to seem that I'm advising you on how to suck eggs, sometimes a poor finish with enamels can be caused by insufficient stirring of the paint before use... otherwise it could conceivably be a dud tin of paint but I wouldn't necessarily arrive at that conclusion first.

Hope you are able to get a finish you find acceptable without too much remedial work anyway, good luck :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew for your reply but I've thoroughly stirred the paint before airbrush application because I've heard of others having problems with paint drying in a similar fashion. Humbrol Dark Earth seems to be spot on colourwise. What puzzles me is that both Dark Earth and Matt Green dried the same way. I've never had this problem before with Humbrol enamels. Guess I'll just have to put it down to experience.

Cheers

Paul (aka Bertie)

Hi Paul,

Yes I hope I didn't seem patronising but I thought it best to cover as many bases as possible. It might be you got a couple of dud tins, stranger things have been known to happen; I do recall a recent thread on here regarding the quality of the new Humbrol paints which seemed to divide fairly evenly between those who had never had a problem with them and those who had.

I hope you can get your Spitfire to a point that you are happy with it, it's a nice kit despite its age.

Best wishes on ANZAC Day,

Cheers,

Stew

Bertie, grab a couple of tins of Colourcoats enamel from creative models, and a couple of bottles of Tamiya enamel, give them a go, and report back. I have had so many issues with the new Humbrols, so while I still use them when required, I head to the other two brands whenever possible now.

Hi Sapperasto,

Yes, I do have a fave enamel and that's Model Master but here in jolly old Melbourne it is so expensive.

I've used Humbrols since the 60's so it's disappointing when a brand has these glitches. I've got heaps oh Humbrol but maybe it's time to swap over. I'll just have to get a massive loan from the bank.:worry: Hopefully some judicious weathering and a couple of flat coats will disguise the patchiness:yes: