A little help.

hello everyone, I have come here looking for abit of advice.

I've been toying with the idea of building a ship for a while now (mainly building 1:48 aircraft). But not sure where to start. im interested in RN ships and

I like the look of trumpy warspite but am not sire if this is a good starting point, due to the vasts amounts of photoetch! Or would something like hms zulu be a better point to start due the low price bracket and smaller ship?

Sorry to rant, any advice would be much appreciated (:

Joss

Hi Joss, what scale are you looking at?  1/350 or 1/700? 

If you're thinking 1/350 I'd look at one of the Trumpeter Tribal class although they're not 100% accurate.

If you're looking at 1/700 then you're really spoilt for choice!

The Flyhawk models are beautiful and come with photoetch. I've the Aurora and Naiad in the stash, can't wait to start them!

There's the IBG hunt class which build up easily and again come with photoetch or you have the good old Tamiya and Trumpeter range.

Really just depends on your taste and budget! Have a butcher's around here and see what people are building and see what catches your eye.

Good hunting! 

Geoff 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

Hi Joss, what scale are you looking at?  1/350 or 1/700?

If you're thinking 1/350 I'd look at one of the Trumpeter Tribal class although they're not 100% accurate.

If you're looking at 1/700 then you're really spoilt for choice!

The Flyhawk models are beautiful and come with photoetch. I've the Aurora and Naiad in the stash, can't wait to start them!

There's the IBG hunt class which build up easily and again come with photoetch or you have the good old Tamiya and Trumpeter range.

Really just depends on your taste and budget! Have a butcher's around here and see what people are building and see what catches your eye.

Good hunting!

Geoff

thanks Geoff, Im not sure on scale. Im not really sure how big or small 1/350 or 1/700 are? Id say id like something big enough not to be dwarfed among 1:48 aircraft?

I do like the tribal class and accuracy is not an issue at the moment as id just like to get stuck in building something.

I shall have a look at the flyhawk models and may have to try a 1:350 and a 1:700.

Will photoetch be necessary in 1:700 or will what comes with the kit be sufficent?

Thanks again

joss

Hi Joss, 1/700 destroyers are pretty small, somewhere around 5" depending on the class. Few come with photoetch in the kit, apart from resin kits and the IBG mentioned above. But specific etch sets are readily available. 

The cruisers and battleships are a different matter! Although the part counts and amount of photoetch goes up accordingly...

1/350 destroyers would sound like a good place to start for you, not too small, lower parts count and a good few come with basic etch to bring out the details. 

Geoff

• Like 2

Hi Joss

I, am building one of the trumpeter  tribal class at the minute Huron and they are very good value for money small amount of PE but no railings

Take a look in the work in progress section and you can see what I have done I will also be doing Eskimo for more practice with these kits as I too am just really starting to get into 1/350 as I find some of the 1/700 to small for my old eyes  :coolio:

Beefy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Hi Joss

I, am building one of the trumpeter  tribal class at the minute Huron and they are very good value for money small amount of PE but no railings

Take a look in the work in progress section and you can see what I have done I will also be doing Eskimo for more practice with these kits as I too am just really starting to get into 1/350 as I find some of the 1/700 to small for my old eyes  :coolio:

Beefy

Thanks beefy good to know!

I was thinking that 1/700 was going to small. 

I've just got my phone back so I've been perusing eBay normally now and I've seen flyhawks 1:350 royal navy railing is this any good?

Your Huron looks awesome, I hope mine will look just as good!

Thanks

Joss

• Like 1

Yes the Flyhawk are good and thanks for your kind comment 

you could use these rails rails with The PE that is already in the kit 

Beefy

• Like 1

Here's a radical idea- play to your strengths regarding scale- bigger is better. Assuming WWII RN is your bag,  what about about the 1/72 Ex-matchbox Snowberry- the Revell boxing is available with lots of aftermarket and wood decks too. Or how about the ancient airfix RAF rescue boat? If not dedicated to the RN, how about a 1/72 Revell U-boats or Gato submarines, of which there are several varieties on sale. Dropping down a scale- 1/144 Revell Fletcher class, or even their Landing Ship Tank (LST). All of these would  offer kits in which the 'language' of aircraft modelling would still be relevant.

A real wildcard- howabout the Merit 1/35 X-craft midget submarine?!?

Will

Edited by Killingholme
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2017 at 01:34, Killingholme said:

Here's a radical idea- play to your strengths regarding scale- bigger is better. Assuming WWII RN is your bag,  what about about the 1/72 Ex-matchbox Snowberry- the Revell boxing is available with lots of aftermarket and wood decks too. Or how about the ancient airfix RAF rescue boat? If not dedicated to the RN, how about a 1/72 Revell U-boats or Gato submarines, of which there are several varieties on sale. Dropping down a scale- 1/144 Revell Fletcher class, or even their Landing Ship Tank (LST). All of these would  offer kits in which the 'language' of aircraft modelling would still be relevant.

A real wildcard- howabout the Merit 1/35 X-craft midget submarine?!?

Will

That is a good idea I do like the look of the snowberry model although 1:72 is a little to pricey for me at the moment. I was mainly looking at ship but I think I could be pushed on to subs but I would like to get a ship done first.

As i have already just bought the trumpeter Zulu model in 1:350, I shall see that goes and then scale up or down seeing how it goes. I did open up a tamiya king George in hobbycraft yesterday and the pieces seemed reasonably sized.

Thank you very much for the advice!

Joss

On 30/04/2017 at 12:02, Rob G said:

Or indeed Italeri's 1/35th 77' Vosper MTB. And to stay Allied but move navies, both Italeri and Merit do Elco PT boats (35th and 48th respectively.)

I have to admit I did look at italeris offering and was very impressed. However just a little to high for what I want to spend on my first maritime model! But I shall file these suggestions away until the next kit spending time ;)

Thanks for the advice

Regards 

Joss

It's not RN, but... Italeri do a rather nice little 1/35 M.T.M. Barchino, an Italian Navy motorboat with an 'interesting' concept. Not terribly expensive, simple and large enough to see.

Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

HMS Zulu in 1:350 should be a good one to start with. For going bigger, the Tamiya big 1:350 ships (such as King George V and Bismarck) make very good larger models, and are exceptionally good value for money. Also handy that branches of Hobbycraft seem to stock them (along with paints and accessories).

Edited by Rob 1