Revell MiG-31 1/72

Valkyrie

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

My entry shall be a MiG-31 by Revell in 1/72. Only second ever group build and looking forward to seeing all comrades entries..

IMG_4515_zpsnylq4yhr.jpg

You must have had an extension on your modelling shelf to fit this and your mig 25:P

She's another big un ,,over 300 mm for a 1/72,  has this got engraved panel lines val or are they raised,looking forward to seeing this fall together

• Like 1

Yeah I am shocked by the size of these Russian jets! My first jet was a Czech MiG 15 then when I entered the Warsaw PACT GB ordered a MiG 25 and she's huge, this is even bigger, box is massive. I've not opened her up yet to check the detail. I was sure I built this with my dad when I was 11 at Christmas but couldn't have been cos this is huge 

30 minutes ago, Hewy said:

You must have had an extension on your modelling shelf to fit this and your mig 25:P

She's another big un ,,over 300 mm for a 1/72,  has this got engraved panel lines val or are they raised,looking forward to seeing this fall together

• Like 1

I'll be looking in on this, I think this is the Zvezda kit reboxed, I've a Condor one. :( raised detail & all & not an easy build, its a candidate for replacement so I'll be keen to see how you go with this.

Steve.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

Hi Hewy, opened up to have a quick preemptive peek and......it looks good deep detail

IMG_4522_zpsl92goq0y.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hacker said:

following this one as l intend to buy one myself 

Does look a good kit, I'm not an expert but looking at the decal sheet you could do 2 aircraft from as there's 12 stars...I think...

IMG_4519_zpsd3cea12d.jpg

• Like 1

Craigs right that decal sheet looks like its going to cover everything, looks like some nice detail there too. 

Good luck val

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Val, looks like a nice kit and is certainly a comprehensive decal sheet.

I was thinking of doing my 1/48 AMK one but after the Foxbat I think I might want to do something a little smaller.

I've  been stalling on pulling the trigger on a 31 kit craig but now I've experienced hobby boss's mess with the f-111 its going to be amk,they've apparently just brought out another,  do you know the difference off hand

Cheers

Glynn

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Craigs right that decal sheet looks like its going to cover everything, looks like some nice detail there too. 

Good luck val

I've  been stalling on pulling the trigger on a 31 kit craig but now I've experienced hobby boss's mess with the f-111 its going to be amk,they've apparently just brought out another,  do you know the difference off hand

Cheers

Glynn

I'm no expert on the -31 (or much else really!) but the version of kit I have is the B/BS and the new version is the BM/BSM, I know there are differences between the 2 but not sure exactly what they are. I bought the version I did because it comes with Kazakh (is nice!) markings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Val, looks like a nice kit and is certainly a comprehensive decal sheet.

I was thinking of doing my 1/48 AMK one but after the Foxbat I think I might want to do something a little smaller.

You didn't call it the beast from the East for nothing haha.. I don't think il opt for weathering this one, factory fresh and try out pre-shading..

• Like 1

Sounds good to me Val. Give the pre-shading a go it works quite well. If you want to do it simply and quickly use a fine permanent marker on the panel lines, i have done this several times and it does work.

As for my build I think I've made my mind up, and I think it might surprise a few of you.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds good to me Val. Give the pre-shading a go it works quite well. If you want to do it simply and quickly use a fine permanent marker on the panel lines, i have done this several times and it does work.

As for my build I think I've made my mind up, and I think it might surprise a few of you.

Il defo give that a go. Ooooh interesting I can't wait to find out now......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A 1/48 of one of these? Where would you keep that? A hangar?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

A 1/48 of one of these? Where would you keep that? A hangar?

And that's one of the reasons she is not being built yet, I need to create some serious room to display her.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Ooooh interesting I can't wait to find out now......

Just about to post it now.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

And that's one of the reasons she is not being built yet, I need to create some serious room to display her.

Just about to post it now.....

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr💂🏻‍♀️👨🏻‍✈️🙇🏻🥁

• Like 1

And.....we are off! Just driven to and back from my first show at Perth (Scotland) today it was amazing. The builds up there are awesome and there was a MiG-31 in one of the competitions, think I took 90+ pictures it was so good I went back to view another couple of times...then inspired to get onto my own MiG-31 i mach 3'd it back down to begin....with 3 MiGs and an SU-33 and 27...and £40 worth of Russian AKAH Paints....I get married today in 8 months and she'd have a fit if she knew how much...

MiG-31...begins and I am not going to rush this one...

IMG_4639_zpskd1hpgyy.jpg

• Like 2

Work on the cockpit saw me remove 4 parts from sprues and use one of my brand new Russian paints from AKAH/AKAN. Radio transparent grey, meant to be dark grey camo on MiG-29 SMT but I wanted to try it out. Apllied to sides of both ejector seats and instrument panel cover and stick control panel. Lovely grey, lovely paint and went on a treat with my new detailing brush which makes small bits easy to paint accurately. I should have bought a pack! Quick drying so posting on here before moving on to paint the green cockpit interior. Says light green on instructions....do I not need my emerald green for this one? 

IMG_4641_zps7i6b8row.jpg

• Like 2

Interior emerald Russian green and decals from the kit. My research showed an emarld green cockpit and position of decals so let this quickly dry off then fit together. Should I paint the parts first then decal on top or decal and paint around? I do the latter but be nicer if paint was on background behind the decals, but would it stick? 

IMG_4642_zpsxkwffmzu.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

....I get married today in 8 months and she'd have a fit if she knew how much...

There is something to look forward to - My lips are sealed. :whistle:

Good start on the kit. Your cockpit will be done in no time.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Cockpit decals on, emerald green and all other colours and then a wash. Glued in and top and bottom front end glued together. Used my tamiya ultra thin cement for first time. It's virtually invisible but I don't feel it's really stuck the parts together all that well. May have to re glue with liquid poly. Sealed up and forgot 7 grams of nose weight. Opened it up and and added it to the nose cone and resealed...should be more than enough weight in there now. It looks a right mess but I think it's the light and the camera because it looks ok in real life.

IMG_4652_zpsrf7dqkmi.jpg

• Like 3