Revell MiG-31 1/72

Valkyrie

On 05/07/2017 at 13:47, Valkyrie said:

Thanks Stix, do you do a rough mask then finite trimming with ct stick?

cheers 

Hi Valkyrie. Good to see your lovely progress! With regards my work on canopies: I don't use any masks at all. My usual process is to paint the framework first with whatever the inside (cockpit) colour is. I use very thinned acrylic paints, thinned with water and applied with a very fine, pointed paintbrush. If needs-be I add a second coat. Next, once dry, I tidy up wherever I have got this paint on the actual 'glass' areas using the edge of a cocktail stick - pushed sideways towards the frames - never along them. Over this I then paint the main outer colour in the same way. Finally I add what ever the second camo colour is in the same way and then, at the end, I then tidy up using a cocktail stick again.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Some disaster but some success with this update. My first two grey choices ran out mid spray can sesh so I had to revert to Ocean grey which is too dark but my favourite MiG-31 photo is a dark grey MiG-31 so I am pleased I was forced into it, rather than chose the colour that looks to be wrong. I can also give lightening some parts a shot, if time. Success came with my panel lines, shows through on starboard side and main airframe but completely covered over on port wing. Spraying across the aircraft to opposite side works. Anyway, some varnish tomorrow and i have a package to collect from Russia at sorting office, i hope its my bumper order of Russian Navy and Airforce decals from Begemot. Anyway, what do you think of my lines and any tips always well received.

IMG_5348

• Like 3

Right, I am at a real crossroads, should I repaint a lighter grey over the top? And would re doing the black into the panel lines work again? 

In regards to the grey, I don't know the correct shade on MiG-31s. But yours does look a bit too dark. Grey should be easy to lighten by adding white.

If you like just black panel lines, a panel line wash after painting would give you better results. If you like to use pre-shading, then applying the black by airbrush gives you a nice graduation into a darker colour towards the panel lines. But the main colour then needs to be applied very thinly so that the black is still visible.

A great source of information is the Encyclopedia Of Aircraft Modelling Techniques Vol.3 Painting. Actually all the five volumes are a valuable resource to have.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Thanks for that Peter, I don't think il be upgrading to airbrush until next year but I will be keeping this in mind. I like what I have done on one wing and I haven't done well with post shading. My inking didn't go to well either 

'Thanks for that link, some bed time reading. Advice will definitely be taken on it will help me 

Ok I have decided to be brave, redone the black post shading in the still deep panel lines and I will paint a lighter grey on top. I've got some decal goodies for a modern well current Russian navy Mig 31 Pacific fleet 

IMG_5770

• Like 2

Revell hellgrau on now and yes I am glad I did. This was the colour the instructions called for and does look much better. It used all that Revell spray can. Working on wheels etc while this cures, then a varnish and some modern Russian decal action.

IMG_5771

• Like 5

19 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Well done on getting the paint sorted! It looks excellent! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I'm am glad you like it too, I'm getting more confident, I suppose that's how we learn by trying things.

• Like 1

Hopefully a big weekend at the bench is on the cards. Masked up and radome and fins and brush painted Akan radome grey and exhausts got Matt life colour black, it needs lightening up though, a light grey dry brush over the top?

IMG_5791

• Like 3

Calling it a day, not much progress but the fin decalling was pretty tough, had a few goes at the modern Russian stars, nice decals but struggled to get the blue star over the red and took a lot to get the RF numbers on half decent. 

IMG_5792

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Hopefully a big weekend at the bench is on the cards. Masked up and radome and fins and brush painted Akan radome grey and exhausts got Matt life colour black, it needs lightening up though, a light grey dry brush over the top?

Coming along nicely! As you brush paint, I wouldn't use paint to lighten up the grey - just can't see this working.

I would do it with white oil paint (from the tube) - either diluted with white spirit and applied as a filter or as an oil dot modulation directly applied to the surface in very small amounts and then spread by brush - like dry brushing. This will lighten the base colour.

Cheers, Peter

36 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Coming along nicely! As you brush paint, I wouldn't use paint to lighten up the grey - just can't see this working.

I would do it with white oil paint (from the tube) - either diluted with white spirit and applied as a filter or as an oil dot modulation directly applied to the surface in very small amounts and then spread by brush - like dry brushing. This will lighten the base colour.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter, I will give this a try on something as a practice first as I'm not too confident, but the guidance is certainly welcome, it improves people like me making their way through this hobby. 

Can't decide if I like decalling, it's very therapeutic, until one gets destroyed. Thought I got the blue star on pretty well within the red line. It's a decal on top of a decal, a few were lost in training yesterday.

IMG_5809

• Like 2

Wow, there is a lot of decals for this, been at it most of the day, poached a few from other kits. I hope I can get this finished in time

IMG_5818

• Like 2

On 21.08.2017 at 9:34 PM, Valkyrie said:

Wow, there is a lot of decals for this, been at it most of the day, poached a few from other kits. I hope I can get this finished in time

IMG_5818

Funny cover in the right bottom corner!
"Russian FeDeration" (Российская ФеДерация) it is written on cover with mistakes how the "Russian FeAeration"(Россииская ФеАерация) !

B.R.

Serge

Small update, plethora of decals on and fingers crossed tomorrow I can get the final paint details done and give myself a fighting chance at making the deadline...

IMG_5843

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Small update, plethora of decals on and fingers crossed tomorrow I can get the final paint details done and give myself a fighting chance at making the deadline...

IMG_5843

Decals were actually quite fun, took a lot of hours and patience and looks like it's got Russian measles but in real life it does make it look pretty good

1 hour ago, Sobby_23 said:

Really coming alive now, looking forward to seeing this finished up :)

Thanks Sobby, it certainly is coming on. Got my super detailing on the fins and stabilisers etc. I think we could be at the varnish stage?....

IMG_5850

• Like 3