Another Danish F-100 question!

RidgeRunner

The upper right one is the Danish squadron badge (727 Sqn), and the foremost one is a goofy face. I think the rest might have been applied after the airframe entered Turkish air force service.

Jens

Edited by Jens
Wrong sqn

Ooops, that would be 727 Sqn (duly edited).

Yes, I believe it would be correct to model her with the sqn badge and perhaps the individual markings on the tail as seen here:

G_744_01.jpg

Jens

• Like 1

Thanks Jens. Actually the moment in time I intend to replicate is later when that chevron was over painted. By the way, do you know the FS number of the green that was used?

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Martin, it is another of those strange greens that looks different in different lights.

When first applied it seems to be a rich glossy olive in bright sunlight, but brown under a cloudy sky and then faded (as if 'chalked'), very non-reflective and worn away in use.

This covers the F-104 but I believe it is the same paint applied to the Super Sabres and Drakens:

http://www.amarc.dk/index.php/feature-articles-mainmenu-28/15-f-104-modelling/50-royal-danish-air-force-f-104-starfighters

I believe the same colour of paint was used on most Danish military vehicles and even some coastal vessels at that time.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for that great article! :). However, I see the FS number but honestly, having seen these machines in the flesh (see my F-104 tail shot in my "Reaching for Stars"

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner