Avro Anson ambulance

Pameinos

Can someone help with a photo or drawing of the stretcher installation in the cabin?

I know from a tech manual description that three stretchers could be carried, two on the floor an one suspended from the roof.

Was the fuselage gun removed from military ambulance MkI's?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

I'd be very surprised if the Ansons used for ambulance work carried any guns...it rather goes against the Geneva Convention for anything wearing the red cross to be armed.  Certainly Oxfords used as air ambulances had their gun turrets removed.  It seems that photos of Anson ambulances are hard to come by but removing the gun would be entirely logical.

Edited by mhaselden
  • Like 1

Looking at the Air Britain Anson File it appears the ambulance conversions were done on Mk.X and Mk.XI versions. At a quick glance there doesn't seem to be a mention of the Mk.I as an ambulance but if they were converted at an MU that might explain it. The factory conversion may have been a response to problems with more ad hoc conversions ??? There is some text and a couple of photos of the wing root door for loading stretchers. I'll try to post a scan in the next few days but am pressed for time this week.

The second illustration incorrectly shows yellow undersurface.  Dedicated ambulance aircraft had white undersurfaces, at least from July 1941. Which would be, I think, before the adaption of the "C" fuselage roundel.  [I know, "C" roundel is no longer the correct term, but I'm an old dog and nearly unteachable....]

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jimmaas said:

The second illustration incorrectly shows yellow undersurface.  Dedicated ambulance aircraft had white undersurfaces, at least from July 1941. Which would be, I think, before the adaption of the "C" fuselage roundel.  [I know, "C" roundel is no longer the correct term, but I'm an old dog and nearly unteachable....]

Hi Jim,

what second illustration?

jw edited his post so all is now  clear

Edited by spaddad

Here is an Anson ambulance in NW Europe,.....looks like a later variant?;

Image result for anson ambulance

As has been said above,......the Geneva Convention prevents any vehicle or aircraft that is displaying the red cross from being armed in any way,..... I`m an ex Army Medic and we studied this in detail, Ambulances bearing a red cross cannot even carry ammunition for offensive actions,.... but occupants can be armed for self defence and defence of their patients. 

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for your answers.

This is the Greek Anson I want to model in 1/72:

GreekAnson1949_cc%20-%20Copy_zpszb8pibdn

GR%20Anson%201949%20-%20Copy_zpsrvlc0abs

NK603 was a MkI converted to ambulance with late type engine cowls and stabilizer wingtips. As it displays a red cross, the fuselage gun should have been removed. 

Question remains for the stretchers installation...

• Like 2