Hi all,

I finished my first mini of 2017 :) I usually switch from modelling to painting in the (antipodean) winter as it's easy to do in front of the telly in the warm. I'm a bit early this year but I was inspired by the release of Shadow War to make up and paint some Space Orks. This is one of the Warhammer 40K armies I really like and have collected a few models for but haven't actually built and painted much to date. 

34077743552_5bfea164a7_b.jpg

He's a Bad Moon Ork, which means he should have some yellow on him. I don't have many (any?) figures with yellow so it's a bit different, and I do like the colour. I sprayed white primer from above where the yellow and skin areas would be to get a bright base, the rest is grey primer so there's a little bit of pre-shading from the primer highlight.

34104118651_2e9abda01f_b.jpg

His skin is painted with washes and glazes over the primer, the rest of the colours are applied more traditionally with layered or stippled highlights and a little bit of wet blending in places. All the paints are Citadel apart from the primer and varnish which are Alclad. That reminds me - I ought to put a bit of gloss on the eyeballs before I put him away in the cabinet. 

There are another eight or so which still need paint, so it's probably time to switch to batch painting mode for those (bah!) I'm also working on the scenery over in the sci-fi section.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 8

Great job Will. Nice to see some Orks again. It feels like GW have pushed them into the background in recent years.

Love the tonal variation you've got on the skin, and that neat demin-y look to the trousers.

Andy

I know what you mean, it feels like they're really into the Marines vs. Chaos thing to the extent of almost everything else sometimes. The Orks did get a new sprue for their bommer last year which adds some pretty cool wurrin mekanikal gubbinz.

I have a longer-term Ork project in mind if this all goes well - some kind of land-carrier - but that's going to take a while.

Cheers,

Will

1 hour ago, LotusArenco said:

I could be wrong, but I’m sure that’s the first time in thirty odd years that anyone’s made reference to an Ork having a ‘great bum’.:blink2:

:D

Mart

Ah but it's all down to the quality of his kegs!!! B)

Ah yes , I used to live and breath these things and the rest of the GW range.

Really nice job on this Ork.

I like the skin tones especially .

• Like 1

On 4/29/2017 at 4:43 PM, Mrs PlaStix said:

Hi Will, he's got a great bum! love the denim and the yellow works a treat!:D

Thanks! I thought his bum was a bit lacking in crucial definition but he's definitely (t)working hard with what he's got :P

The denim was quite easy to do, just a couple of layers of blue stippling brought back down with a black wash and a blue glaze IIRC.

4 hours ago, sonofjim said:

Ah yes , I used to live and breath these things and the rest of the GW range.

Really nice job on this Ork.

I like the skin tones especially .

Thanks, I used to be a fan as a kid and then came back to it in my late 30s after a ten year gap. "New" GW can be a bit weird at times but they seem to be moving in the right direction at the moment.

The skin tones were a bit of a shot in the dark as I don't have a good Ork recipe but I think they've come out well enough that I can stick with this over the rest of the team.

Cheers all!

Will

• Like 1