Mikromir Argosy

Having had Dave Halcyonjet very kindly send me the missing BEA decals for my 200 series Argosy, a review kit of the 100 series boxing arrived from MikroMir containg those same decals! Dave's decals will be passed on to my good friend Chris Stringbag, so are still much appreciated.

Having now had a chance to look at both kits side by side, there is a simple answer if you want to build a BEA Argosy 'out of the box' - Buy the 'Elan' version.

It has all the parts and decals to make either a 100 or 200 series machine.  Full review is here.

Of course, if you are not making a BEA version, either boxing will do. They both contain exactly the same parts, so a 100 or 200 series can be made fom both, only the main decal sheets are different (and some minor variations in instructions).

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Now all we need is for Mikr Mir top make a RAF version?  Surely this is a no-brainer? Then they can include decals for an all-dayglo OTRAG Zaire-registered version, who bought a couple of ex-RAF Argosies.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 1:40 PM, ptmvarsityfan said:

Thanks for that Skodadriver and AMB, very helpful and have ordered the Xtradecal stripes. Will see how it goes, does look very good in the box!

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Today I picked up the Elan version of the Argosy kit from Mel of S&M Models, who was selling them for a very good £20 at the Heathrow Aircraft Enthusiasts Fair today. Looks like they really screwed up the decals sheet as the BEA red square has BLACK 'BEA' letters in it, the BBA Cargo titles are black insead of white, but thankfuly they realised these errors and included a corrected replacement decal sheet. However, as you are doing the ELAN version, the decal titles for this have incorrectly been printed BRIGHT RED and should be in the same maroon colour of the belly and fuselage stripes. Even if you get the stripes n the correct colour, it will look odd if you use the mis-matched 'Elan' titles on the decal sheet in bright red! 

Another point with this kit is that is there is an etched brass detail set  included with a wing-fence for a 200 Series Argosy, but nothing in the instructions that even mention this. I suspect there may be a third release as a '200 series' with this later? 

14 hours ago, AMB said:

However, as you are doing the ELAN version, the decal titles for this have incorrectly been printed BRIGHT RED and should be in the same maroon colour of the belly and fuselage stripes. Even if you get the stripes n the correct colour, it will look odd if you use the mis-matched 'Elan' titles on the decal sheet in bright red! 

Too true AMB, looks like will have to wait to see if Classic Airlines decals or another

aftermarket decal producer produce the Elan markings. On the positive side I now

have a good selection of decal stripes from xtradecal and also have the Classic

Airlines Sagittair decals. Not in a great hurry to build the Argosy so will wait a while!

Cheers, paul