Mikromir Argosy

Hi, have recently purchased the Mikromir 144th Argosy srs 100,looks very good in the but I would like to model G-BEOZ as on the box top as I have seen this plane many times at East Midlands Aeropark. My problem is that the decal sheet only provides serials and titling but not the red pinstripes along the fuselage. Also the red on the sheet is much brighter than on the aircraft as it is at present although the colours seem faded on the real aircraft. Can anyone suggest how to reproduce the striping or maybe willl have to wait until aftermarket decals are issued, if ever.

Cheers, Paul

Although it wouldn't be easy it should be just possible to mask and paint the stripes. If you don't want to do that decal stripes are probably the only way to go.  Hannants have sheets of red stripes by Microscale and Xtradecal although the colour might be a bit too bright.   Alternatively you could paint the lower fuselage red up to the position of the top stripe then apply white decal stripes.  Either way good luck with getting decal stripes round the nose and tail!

• Like 1

This is the only problem with these Mikr Mir kits as the decals are not only inaccurate, but also the colours. Hannants Xtradecal range includes a sheet of red stripes of several thicknesses, but it is 'bright red' and the Elan colour is maroon.  If I were you, I would get this sheet and overpaint the red with maroon paint, then with a sharp knife and metal ruler, cut out the stripes carefully to ensure the edges are sharp. Alternatively as Skodadriver  suggests, mask and paint the stripes, but that could be tricky.

I just noticed on another modelling site that Nick Webb (aka Classic Airlines) has produced some decals for the Mikromir kit - Sagittair, Air Anglia, Rolls Royce and Universal so far.  I don't know if he's planning any more but if Elan doesn't work for you there are four other schemes to fall back on.  I'll certainly be ordering the kit and the Air Anglia decals.

• Like 1

There appears to be a problem with the decals in these kits.  The sheet seems to have been designed for both iterations (BEA and Élan) and then arbitrarily divided, with some decals for one boxing in the other so that neither kit has a full set of decals for the colour schemes shown in the instructions.

• Like 1

I'm currently working on this kit too. I also bought the Rolls Royce set mentioned above from the LGW event at K2 in Crawley recently as its far better than the kit especially when I compared the RR logo.  As for the red stripes, one of the ranges from Hannants has the red a deeper colour that would probably be OK for the ELAn  subject. I think its the Xtradecal one.

The kit has a lot of flash!!!  A lot of it is quite thick and needs careful removing. I added nose weight to the upper floor of the cockpit are behind cockpit bulkhead as there is no room below if you want the huge cargo doors open.

Good luck with your build and decals.

• Like 1

I was chatting to Nick @ LGW2017 I hope to persuade him to do decals for the Aer Turas Argosy in both 1:144 & 1:72 perhaps if there is enough interest he may do other schemes too. 

The decals he had for this plane were very tempting especially the Air Anglia one!

Eamonn

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

I was chatting to Nick @ LGW2017 I hope to persuade him to do decals for the Aer Turas Argosy in both 1:144 & 1:72 perhaps if there is enough interest he may do other schemes too. 

The decals he had for this plane were very tempting especially the Air Anglia one!

Eamonn

Well, I'd buy a set because the cheat lines have been putting me off building mine. The Aer Turas scheme being one I'd like to do along with various others.

I also quite fancy the IPEC aircraft as I remember an article in Scale Models International from the late 80s/ early 90s in which the modeller ( can't recall the name and apologies if it's a member on here) made a great job of the Welsh Models vac form.  Since then I've always been keen to build one, there's something attractive about a bright yellow aircraft.

Jeff 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Séan Pádraig said:

The kit I bought at Southern Expo last month comes with Aer Turas decals already...

mm144-014_7.jpg

Thats interesting. Not in the kit I've got. Only BEA, BBA , R-R, Universal, ELAN and Sagittair. All with incomplete schemes as all the striping are not included in the kit. Just logos and reggie lettering and a couple other items.

• Like 1

^ Ah, that explains a lot!  Thanks for the info.  There was a discussion over on Airlinercafe about Jennings doing a supplementary sheet for these 'missing' items for the BEA scheme.  I was going to get a second kit anyway so I'll now get the Elan boxing version to get my missing bits for BEA.

Right, brain re engaged and reading the post properly. ... I got the impression that the kit supplied decals were no good and that having taken the trouble to paint the aircraft I would be without the titles to finish it. The kit is going together quite well and my only problem so far has been the step through the middle of the flaps underside. I  had to do a little thinning on the trailing edge of the lower wing and remove a little of the  area on the top wing that it sits on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

The boxing I bought has a set of Aer Turas decals. The Aer Turas Argosy is in basic Transair colours as it was leased from the Canadian airline.

The Brown mid fuselage was painted green while on lease to Aer Turas but rest of aircraft was left in Transair colours.

Bit confusing but there are two boxings by Mikromir, the series 100 and the 200. Not sure of the differences in the plastic but I got the series 100 as wanted to do Elan colours but no striping included, or for the Sagittair or Rolls-Royce options.

Cheers, Paul

PS not sure if the 200 had any external differences but the wing structure was completely revised

On 26/04/2017 at 7:58 PM, Paul J said:

Thats interesting. Not in the kit I've got. Only BEA, BBA , R-R, Universal, ELAN and Sagittair. All with incomplete schemes as all the striping are not included in the kit. Just logos and reggie lettering and a couple other items.

Picked up a BEA one at the Perth show today.  The decals in mine are exactly as illustrated by Séan Pádraig.  They put me in mind of what came with early Welsh Models vacforms - basic titles, registrations, flags and not a lot else. Masking cheatlines really isn't difficult unless you're determined to do something like Elan but it's a bit of a dying art because we've become so accustomed to decal makers handing us everything on a plate.

For any striping I always make sure I have a good supply of striped decals in all colours available. That way I have (hopefully) what I need. On the Micrscale/Superscale sets a  range of widths are supplied and as for the BEA scheme you should be able to find one wide enough for the main black stripe and just build up the black stepped up section/area. 

If anybody else wants any of the kit decals............