McDonnell Douglas Harrier II

59 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Jean, 

This is my first Tamiya kit so their instruments were quite a shock....I find Airfix and Revell quite informative in their direction. I brush paint everything, normally I'm quite happy doing so but I find with camo it doesn't look blended....if that makes sense?

Thank you for your kind comments, 

Michelle. 

Hi Michelle,

Your comment on "blending" makes a lot of sense. But remember the scale you are working on; airbrushing very diffuse camo boundaries in 1/72 or 1/48 does not look very realistic. Seen from several meters away, the boundaries between colors of a diffuse camo become almost sharp. So yes, Patafix/Blue tac will help, but remember to be careful when you paint free hand with an air brush.

Your camouflage has actually come out rather nice. For any ridges between camo colors, I would suggest you use Micromesh rather than sand paper, as it is far less aggressive. Although very fine sand paper grit (1200, etc.) handled with kids' gloves works well too.

Anyway, great progress on previous builds!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the build today by giving the aircraft a coat of Windsor and Newton matt varnish. I have to say this hasn't been my favourite or best build, but the matt coat has given the model a meaner look like a real Harrier. 

DSC_2209

DSC_2210

DSC_2212

• Like 5

Hi Michelle,

your Harrier does indeed look a lot meaner in a matt camo. I like it and it does look like a Harrier, even if the additional doors are not open on the top of the jet intakes (Blame the kit manufacturer for that!).

One is seldom 100% happy with a finished model. It's merely a matter of improving steadily and not repeating previous mistakes, but even that simple thing is not easy!

I am not a fan of the Harrier, therefore I am slightly biased, but you've done a great job!

Keep at it and have fun!

JR

• Like 1