Hasegawa Mitsubishi Ki-46-III 'Dinah'

Hasegawa Mitsubishi Ki-46-III (Dinah). OOB except for the usual Eduard seatbelts. Nice easy build this one, where everything fits as it should. I used it to try the new Vallejo Model Air IJA Aircraft paints, which proved easy to use.

thanks

Mike

Image may contain: aeroplane

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 16

Hi Mike,

Very nice Dinah.

I was reading a review of these IJA and IJN sets from Vallejo on another site, and opinion seemed split on the accuracy of some of the colours. What is your feeling on that? I need to get a selection for both IJA and IJN but didn't want to buy entire sets, especially if some colours wouldn't get used.

By the way, do you use them with an airbrush?

6 hours ago, pizzapaolo said:

I will have to hunt one down for the stash.

Pizza, FWIW Arii also do a Ki-46 III in 1/72 and these can be found online pretty easily, although I should add that all the external surfaces have a slightly rough finish and would need to be sanded down!

Regards,

David

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pizzapaolo said:

Nicely done, I did not know Hasegawa did a 1/72 Dinah, I will have to hunt one down for the stash. What do you use for aerial? Looks really thin.

The certainly do. I did get mine second hand but I can't remember from where. I usually get any second hand kits from Kingkit, Ebay or at shows. It's well worth getting, plus Eduard do a very handy masking set for the glazed areas. The aerial is the kit part. Any Japanese aircraft fan who builds in 1/72 should get this kit if they can!

30 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Hi Mike,

Very nice Dinah.

I was reading a review of these IJA and IJN sets from Vallejo on another site, and opinion seemed split on the accuracy of some of the colours. What is your feeling on that? I need to get a selection for both IJA and IJN but didn't want to buy entire sets, especially if some colours wouldn't get used.

By the way, do you use them with an airbrush?

Pizza, FWIW Arii also do a Ki-46 III in 1/72 and these can be found online pretty easily, although I should add that all the external surfaces have a slightly rough finish and would need to be sanded down!

Regards,

David

I don't think any colour (or colours) are 100% accurate, in fact it's pretty much impossible to make any 2 batches of paint exactly the same, plus there's wear, tear and fading and different people painting the real aircraft, so again, no 2 aircraft will be exactly the same. So I don't get too worried about 100% accuracy as long as they look about right. There is some info about it on Nick Millman's Aviation of Japan blog, it seems some colours aren't too bad but for ease of use and consistency I'm quite happy with them. Also remember 99% people who see them won't know if the colours are right or not. I bought both Vallejo sets as well as the AK Interactive sets, so I have the full range of colour options (and they will all be used for something!)

Yes, I used my Iwata revolution airbrush.

I did have an Arii Ki-46-II and it's not as good as the Hasegawa kit but I wouldn't say it's a bad kit either, it's a good plan B!

thanks

Mike 

Edited by Mikemx
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information, Mike. 

Did you go with khaki brown/grey green for this? Was that what was recommended in the kit? I was thinking of dark green/grey for the Arii Dinah. 

6 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

I don't think any colour (or colours) are 100% accurate

That is very true for IJA and IJN colours – you just read the discussions on ash grey and ame-iro and you know you have plenty of room to move.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Thanks for the information, Mike. 

Did you go with khaki brown/grey green for this? Was that what was recommended in the kit? I was thinking of dark green/grey for the Arii Dinah. 

That is very true for IJA and IJN colours – you just read the discussions on ash grey and ame-iro and you know you have plenty of room to move.

Regards,

David

The Kit had options of Brown and Green aircraft and I went for Brown as I've got others to paint Green. It's the Brown/Grey Green combo you mention. We have the only surviving Ki-46-III in the world here in the UK. It belongs to the RAF museum and last time I saw it, it was in the Cosford museum, along with the Ki-100 (the world's only surviving one!) but they do swap the exhibits between Cosford and Hendon.

thanks

Mike

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mikemx said:

The Kit had options of Brown and Green aircraft and I went for Brown as I've got others to paint Green. It's the Brown/Grey Green combo you mention. We have the only surviving Ki-46-III in the world here in the UK. It belongs to the RAF museum and last time I saw it, it was in the Cosford museum, along with the Ki-100 (the world's only surviving one!) but they do swap the exhibits between Cosford and Hendon.

thanks

Mike

The brown looks good, and yes, there are plenty of others to paint green.

I've seen photos of the Dinah at Cosford – it is dark green over a bluish green? But that example may have been restored, I think.

Regards,

David

• Like 1