Polish Yak-23 with red go faster stripes

Here is my entry into this group build!

33268452505_dae5bd5627_o.jpg

I was hoping that Dawn of the yet age were going to make it for this year, but it fits here so...

A quick look on box contents is in order. Here are all the plastic parts

32453935853_36a2f837ff_o.jpg

33268452285_fe2de49b4c_o.jpg

This thing is TINY!

But you do get a few resin items

33227173366_7e2a8143c4_o.jpg

And also etch!

32885732980_70081c4915_o.jpg

The decals were quite boring though

32885734290_2bbdbdcfdf_o.jpg

So I bought a new set from Model Maker

32453935533_a27fa8e3dd_o.jpg

And this is the one I will do

32425512954_d6b10a1976_o.jpg

This should be fun, I hope!

• Like 8

32885734290_2bbdbdcfdf_o.jpgNever even knew the Czechs flew this...AND Warsaw Pact decals by Sean Connery. Decals do look good, all the best with this interesting build

• Like 2

Sorry for the late update! This was supposed to go up earlier in the week, but life got in the way...

Those pesky ejector pin towers were filed off, and then I started to check if all the internal gubbins will fit properly:
34059816390_c47eaf1a78_h.jpg.
A fine mixture of plastic and resin parts, and there appears to be enough space for a hefty nose weight. Good news!
Before a feeling of Tamiya-bliss settles over this build, behold the Derwent Mk 5 exhaust.
33634758303_ab65dba72f_h.jpg

Sorry, that's the Klimov RD-500. It's quite easy to mix them up....

34444658355_844e1d5d9e_h.jpg
The resin exhaust is attached at a nice angle against a small scribed line in the fuselage, but it looks to me like the outside need some work. Not the brightest idea to have the exhaust in place then. Just hop to it, and make a new bulkhead from plastic stock.
34059816330_7d8f6d8f1d_h.jpg
With the bulkhead in place, the exhaust were sawed of, and put in a safe place for future paintjobs. Merrily I then took to painting the insides of the fuselage.
34403198046_46f382c66d_h.jpg
Valllejo metallic colors were used, Dull aluminium in the front, Steel for the exhaust area and to top it off, some sprinkling of Gunze H302 in the cockpit region.

The green is supposed to be A-15f, which to me looks quite dark. Special Hobby would have me use H312 instead, which is RAF Interior Grey/green, and I think that is not dark enough...

Confusion abounds!

I'll probably get back to that topic further on, but for now, lets focus on the MTV programme Pimp-My-Bangseat:
34444658505_327dcce579_h.jpg
The plastic looks nice enough, so let's add some etch to it.
33634758113_bf6f91f9a5_b.jpg
Ok, that will be enough for shooting some paint on it I think.

Then I was out of time, because the rest of the family decided that we should go an listen to the spring festivities, bonfires, singing and a sun that sets in the sea:
34444658295_de442b5a2f_k.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

No, this little bugger has not been forgotten!

In fact, I have been painting the front end of the Derwent

33962612063_1fd5602d6a_o.jpg

Added some strips of plastic to get the nose wheel well/airflow divider to fit better

34385805070_7b2486f74d_o.jpg

And finally settled on a cockpit color. This time I'll go with Tamiya RAF Dark green 2:

33962611943_48b2de4ed7_o.jpg

Once I've retouched the cockpit dials, instrument panel and so on it's time to close the fuselage.

Finally... it was supposed to be a fast build.:rolleyes:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Christer A said:

... it was supposed to be a fast build.:rolleyes:

They never are. :(  But some great progress there and considering it is a short run kit, you managed to get it all nicely together. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

It looks great Christer :thumbsup2: 

Special Hobby are one of my favourite manufacturers, they seem to be getting better and better.

Their inclusion of resin and etch on such a tiny aircraft model is impressive. It's reasonably priced too.

Regarding the cockpit; you're right, confusion really does abound. I have photographs of e.g, Bulgarian ones, and some Russian, that have grey interiors. Then some that are grey and green, then some metal and green. After about three nights of research, I gave up and just decided to go with what I felt like, based on what I'd seen.

Its the same with the wheel wells. Some unrestored examples on display have grey. Many restored ones have a very lurid, slightly more modern, green ( a la, e.g. Sukhou SU-9 et al).

Some period photos show the more expected, quite, but not so lurid, green.

Have you decided which way to go for the wheel wells? So tiny, so simple, so many extant research subjects, but so mind boggling :D!

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Thanks Tony!

It is a lovely little kit, but not a total walk in the park to put together.

I've just noticed that the intake splitter is angled towards one side, and that looks quite bad. No way to fix that, but perhaps one can make a cover of some sort?

Could be worth a try...

Yes, it does contain a lot of etched parts end resin, but all of them are super tiny!

I almost wish that I'd gone for the 1/48 version...

For the undercarriage bays and landing gear cover I'll go for gray of some sorts like A-14f or DD-118.

Or just grab the nearest Tamiya steel gray and rund with that.

Today I hope to be able to atleast finish the priming session.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Christer A said:

There's always something isn't it?

There certainly is :( Sometimes I feel that the main task in making a model is to fix all the unforeseen mishap :o

But at least your splutter can be corrected and it just takes a bit longer to the finishing line.

Cheers, Peter