Centauro B1 ... italian style

Etienne

Hello gents,

still thinking about my CV90 project, I put it aside for a few days to test news techniques I saw on the net.

So I build a Centauro B1 by Trumpeter ... nice kit with much detail and PE (perhaps a little bit too much PE :huh:), easy to assemble except the very small PE parts.

img_0514.jpg
img_0515.jpg

Inspired by AndyRM101's Rosomak and the techniques he used on that model, I tried a light colored primer with dark green pre-shading, complemented by a light mottling over the base NATO green color.

I have to admit that I have neither the experience not the talent of AndyRM101, but the result is not that bad, even if the photos don't do it justice ... however, the color ended up rather dark compared to what I wanted to achieve.

img_0516.jpg
img_0517.jpg
img_0519.jpg

Next step will be filters, I'll experiment noew techniques also, as I saw very interesting tutorials on Youtube ;)

Cheers, E

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's a helluva beast! I don't know whether it's too dark or not, but it looks really good. Nice one Etienne.

John.

Thanks John ;) ... I went back to photos and found that the Centauro do have a relatively dark color actually, good news B)

8 hours ago, Widow 65 said:

Another kit that I havent seen "in the flesh" before, its a cracker and as usual you have done it a great justice!

Hi Widow, Trumpeter did a fairly good job with this kit and I can tell you that AFV is a beast, perhaps bigger than the AMX-30 I build recently :o

Thanks for your comment !!

6 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

I think the paint finish looks beautiful Etienne. I'd say you've got the shade just about perfect.

Andy

Andy, I am a big fan of your painting and weathering techniques ... I have to learn and improve a lot before reaching the same level but I am very honored by your comment, thanks ^_^

I won't probably touch the Centauro before next week end, I'll be away from home the whole week for work ... see you next time !!

Cheers, E

• Like 1

Hello gents,

thanks for your comments B) ... a small update after the week end's modelling session !!

Mostly filters, pin washes and detail painting, a little bit of chipping, and the final steps before weathering, decals and a thin coat of satin varnish ... here is the result (I also experimented a new homemade photobooth :P) :

img_0524.jpg
img_0522.jpg
img_0521.jpg
img_0525.jpg
img_0523.jpg

As I was a little bit frustrated not to see my finished models, I ended up building a DIY showcase with 2mm thick styrene sheets ... unfortunately, the rear panel broke when I cut it but as it's more a dust preserving case than a real display cabinet, it's OK for me, light and easy to handle.

I'll probably do a few others, especially one to preserve ongoing projects from collecting dust particles between paint and varnish coats, styrene sheet being cheap and easy to work with !!

img_0528.jpg
img_0526.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 8

Hello gents,

thanks for your likes ... small update today, this week end, the Centauro got its horseshoes and I applied dry mud and dust ^_^

I tried to limit the dusting of the turret to conform to reality, but I think the contrast with the hull is too much so I'll have to rework the turret.

img_0530.jpg
img_0529.jpg

Cheers, E

• Like 5

Hello gents,

last update before going back to work tomorrow ...as I was not satisfied with the turret, I added a bit of dust and I'm now much more pleased with the result, even if the photo doesn't actually do it justice :huh:

Still some details to fiddle, probably a tarp folded in the rear turret basket and others ... next week probably.

img_0531.jpg

Cheers, E

Edited by Etienne
  • Like 3

It's looking really good Etienne. Just enough dust to make it look used.

May 8th, public holiday, but it doesn't stop the cold callers on the telephone!!! Why can't they take the day off as well? Don't they know that I'm busy cutting plastic?:D 

John.