Beaufighter TF.X 404 Squadron RCAF Spring 1944

Good morning!

As stress relief from the god-awful Revell Mosquito I decided to build a Tamiya kit and chose the Beaufighter TF.X. Loosing sight of my plan for a nice easy build I added the following:

Aires resin cockpit

Changed Elevators to the correct earlier style and added droop

Added the internal exhaust pipes and braces to the engine cowlings

Quickboost hedgehog exhausts plus stretched sprue braces

Internally detailed the navigators station to match the cockpit

Scratch built Yagi/Rebecca aerial and bomb rack

Rescribed the wings to represent the gun panels and dingy stowage

Plated over the landing light

Doped fabric over the cannon ports and wing guns as well as deleting the extra set of ejection ports

Rockets pinched from a Tamiya Mosquito to replace the pitiful kit items, arming cables and plugs added

Xtradecals decals

Paints were by Vallejo and final flat coat by Windsor and Newton. There is some confusion as to wether this a/c had the serial NE425 or 825 but since I did not have any suitable decals to change this I stuck with Xtradecals' NE425.

Coastal Command's early 'pimp-my-Beaufighter' configuration with bomb racks, rocket rails and the ASV aerial certainly makes for a busy looking model!

Thanks for looking,

Chris

IMG_9473.jpg

IMG_9474.jpg

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9478.jpg

IMG_9479.jpg

EDIT: Here are some photos showing the cockpit and elevator mods:

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

Edited by airbus320
  • Like 50

On 23/4/2017 at 09:47, airbus320 said:

Good morning!

As stress relief from the god-awful Revell Mosquito I decided to build a Tamiya kit and chose the Beaufighter TF.X. Loosing sight of my plan for a nice easy build I added the following:

Aires resin cockpit

Changed Elevators to the correct earlier style and added droop

Added the internal exhaust pipes and braces to the engine cowlings

Quickboost hedgehog exhausts plus stretched sprue braces

Internally detailed the navigators station to match the cockpit

Scratch built Yagi/Rebecca aerial and bomb rack

Rescribed the wings to represent the gun panels and dingy stowage

Plated over the landing light

Doped fabric over the cannon ports and wing guns as well as deleting the extra set of ejection ports

Rockets pinched from a Tamiya Mosquito to replace the pitiful kit items, arming cables and plugs added

Xtradecals decals

Paints were by Vallejo and final flat coat by Windsor and Newton. There is some confusion as to wether this a/c had the serial NE425 or 825 but since I did not have any suitable decals to change this I stuck with Xtradecals' NE425.

EDIT: Here are some photos showing the cockpit and elevator mods:

IMG_0539.jpg

I'm very interested in the elevator mods,  from the pic it looks like the earlier type are smaller?

There was a post from Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies mentioning that the Tamiya Beaufighter had some problems with the tail plane.

A bit more information on the wing panels would be useful too,  IIRXC the Tamiya is based on an Australian example, and they faithfully reproduced the repair patches?

Great build,  I particularly like what look to be some subtle use of washes.

cheers

T

• Like 1

Hi Troy,

Yes as captured Tamiya have made a hybrid of both types of tailplane and elevator and both types of trim tab.

The Tamiya elevators are shaped like the early-mod production type with the balance horn outboard, but they have muddled the hinge line up with the leading edge of the late type elevators with full span aerodynamic balance.

Airbus320 has correctly moved the hinge line aft and consequently reduced the whole chord of the elevator to accurately represent the early type.

I'm going to cast this style and the late ones as direct fit replacement tailplanes and elevators soon for anyone who cares but can't be bothered with the surgery.

• Like 1

Thanks Jamie, that explains it better than I can!

Troy I used a set of plans in the May 2015 Airfix Model World for the elevator mods, gun bay panels, bomb racks and ASV aerial. With regards to the wing patches I couldn't find any evidence of them on Coastal Beaus so I removed them, you can see the scars in the WIP cockpit picture. If you can get a copy of this magazine I highly recommend it, the info contained within is a great resource on the mighty Beau in Coastal Command!

Chris

Hi all and for Jamie,

I have the Tamiya kit in 1/48 scale and have plans to finish her as Mk Ic from 1942.  I have an older set of resin horizontal tails for the early flat configuration.  I do not have my information handy, but I am interested in your offer of resin correction pieces.  Do you reckon I can make use of the appropriate version that you are thinking about?

Thanks, Jim

P.S.  The model is a beaut!

Edited by Jim Kiker