Sky paint and sky decals...

Andre B

Hello,

For a while ago I've got Xtradecals X72189RAF Sky Code Letters in 1/72 and noticed that they where much darker and had an more greygreen tint compared to Humbrol 90 Sky. What I learn of older discussion here at Britmodeler Xtracolour X7 and Xtracrylics 1007 also are darker and seems to have a more greygreen tint compared to Humbrol 90 Sky. So just wonder, If one want to make sky spinners and fuselagebands on for example an Spitfire are the colours to use for Xtredecals Sky Letters Xtraxolours or Axtracrylics as mentioned decals does not match sky decals from Spitfire, Hurricane, Typhoon and Mustang Airfix kits in 1/72 nor Humbrol 90 Sky? 

Sheers / André

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72189

Without delving into color theory, not policies surrounding what color was what, I personally prefer a slightly different shade of Sky for the two sets of items that should be Sky. Specifically, the spinner and fuselage band were both painted at the factory or MU whereas the squadrons painted on the squadron codes. So there is very likely some slight variation between the codes and the spinner/band. 

So I generally paint my own band and spinner the same shade of my favorite Sky paint, but then use whatever decals I think are close enough to Sky even if different than my paint as normal variation. If the difference in the decals are significant (white-ish or a sickly green) I won't use them and find replacements. 

• Like 2

I happen to use Xtracrylix sky and Xtradecals lettering quite alot and I find they are quite a good match for each other. 

Best regards

Nick