Airfix Bf109e7 Tropical (1:48)

Hi, I am new to the forum and thought I would post my newly finished Airfix bf109.

Before i show you the pictures, I would like to state that I have only just got back into the hobby after buying myself a proper air compressor. I have been ordering Mr hobby Aqueous paints as I am starting to buy more expensive models and would like to do them properly.

For this model though, I used my humbrol enamel paints with some success.

I am a bit dissapointed as I scratched the model quite bad from succesfully removing the paint that humbrol suggested ( it was way too dark for the underside) and also some of the parts melted a small amount too.

All in all I think it went alright for my first proper airbrushing attempt although you will notice that my airbrushing needs a lot more practise and settings need more tweaking. 

The only extras I included was an edurd seatbelt taken from an old kit and a swastika taken from the same kit mentioned. 

Without rambling any longer, here is the finished kit, let me know what you think and more importantly, what you think I should do differently next time. 

As it will not let me post my images properly, I will add a link to imgur:

http://m.imgur.com/a/zy9yK

• Like 4

Hi- That's a good looking 109 you've done there nice finish on the camo. One thing that caught my eye was that the canopy framing looked like it could do with a bit more paint, (maybe after being masked off with tamiya tape or similar) Otherwise, good job!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dave N said:

Hi- That's a good looking 109 you've done there nice finish on the camo. One thing that caught my eye was that the canopy framing looked like it could do with a bit more paint, (maybe after being masked off with tamiya tape or similar) Otherwise, good job!

Hi Dave, yes. Luckily the 109 came with two different cockpits and therefore the cockpit which is meant to be on it could not be used. After freshly painting it I stupidly picked it up forgetting I had airbrush cleaner all over my hands and it fogged up. I wanted to get it finished before work so quickly painted the secondary one. I totally agree it needs a touch up so will do that now. 

• 1 month later...

W6fs79q.jpgpNTUnQp.jpg

FWIW I right clicked the Imgur pic, "Open image in new tab" and then  "copy image address"  and paste in. 

Black 8 is  famous,having been the subject of  some colour shots in Signal

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Bf-109E/JG27.III-MTO/pages/Messerschmitt-Bf-109E7Trop-8.JG27-Black-8-Franz-Elles-Libya-1941-03.html

Neat build.

PS  Mike mentioned you can 'drag and drop' photos,  I just tried that as well, which works too :)

• Like 4

Nice job !

I built the same 109 in 1/72 as my first airbrush attempt, upon returning to the hobby. Not as convincing as yours though.

The Mr Hobby paints are excellent and your results will improve dramatically.

I recommend thinning the acrylic paint (quite a bit) with isopropyl, and spraying at a low pressure, with lots of passes, and patience.

Clear coats will help remove decal silvering.

Lots of tips and advice available on here, from far better builders than I.

Enjoy !!

• Like 1

On 2017-6-3 at 8:40 AM, wayne 0 said:

Nice job !

I built the same 109 in 1/72 as my first airbrush attempt, upon returning to the hobby. Not as convincing as yours though.

The Mr Hobby paints are excellent and your results will improve dramatically.

I recommend thinning the acrylic paint (quite a bit) with isopropyl, and spraying at a low pressure, with lots of passes, and patience.

Clear coats will help remove decal silvering.

Lots of tips and advice available on here, from far better builders than I.

Enjoy !!

Hi,

Sorry I did not notice any replies to this thread earlier and thankyou. You are definitely correct about the tips and advice, from this model being my first proper model I had made in a little while I had the bug for making 1 48 kits. I have since made a FW 190 A-8 and from using advice as well as taking my time a lot more to research the aircraft the results are a lot better. I will try and upload a photo of this soon as it has been built for quite a while but have not got round to taking any pictures.

Cheers