Why no injected 1:48 Scimitar ?

gareth

Considering how the Scimitar is a historically important aircraft; being last aircraft produced by Supermarine, how come there's not been an injection plastic kit in 1:48 ?

Of course there's the Dynavector kit but that's both vacuumform and starting to become both uncommon and expensive !  Is there a reason as to why a kit was never made by Classic Airframes who appeared to make kits of most other FAA aircraft during the 1950's/1960's ? With the release of other post war FAA subjects within the last 5 years like the Sea Vixen and Sea Hawk surely someone should have made one by now ?

Gareth

• Like 1

Probably because the manufacturers consider it to be too niche a market to risk significant outlay in a tool that probably won't sell enough.

Sea Vixen and Sea Hawk are more marketable because there are extant example still flying, thus giving an Airshow factor.

Haven't we done this to death anyway?

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, gareth said:

Considering how the Scimitar is a historically important aircraft; being last aircraft produced by Supermarine, how come there's not been an injection plastic kit in 1:48 ?

Of course there's the Dynavector kit but that's both vacuumform and starting to become both uncommon and expensive !  Is there a reason as to why a kit was never made by Classic Airframes who appeared to make kits of most other FAA aircraft during the 1950's/1960's ? With the release of other post war FAA subjects within the last 5 years like the Sea Vixen and Sea Hawk surely someone should have made one by now ?

Gareth

Because besides being Supermarine's last aircraft, what is there to recommend the type?

Wooksta has given valid reasons for there being Sea Vixens and Sea Hawks but let's face it, the Scimitar was hardly a spectacular aircraft, condemned to mediocrity by ever changing requirements, never a stellar performer.  I'm afraid historically it's really just an also ran.

• Like 4

There are many 50's planes which have been poorly presented in plastic, sadly as noted above the Scimitar is now virtually forgotten among the general population. Douglas Skyraider for example is virtually unobtainable in 72nd apart from very expensive Hasegawa or poor elderly kits issued when it was still in service. Try getting a good kit of the FJ-3 or FJ-4 Fury  despite being built in quite large numbers.

Cheers, Paul

I think the Dynavector vacform (a very nice kit, BTW) is as close as you'll get. You're unlikely to see an injection moulded Scimitar in 1:48 when we can't even get a decent Hunter (no, the Academy kit doesn't qualify) or Vampire, one hole or two, from any of the major manufacturers - and they're two types that saw a lot more service.

• Like 2

I've been banging on about this for years; it is an absurd omission from existing portfolios. The arguments about 'mediocrity', 'historical significance' or lack of marking variety don't really hold up in the modelling context -the market is awash with kits of white elephants (TSR2, anyone...?) and obscure nonsenses in all scales that, apparently, we cheerfully lay in by the score. But no, there'll more likely be a new tool of the awkwardly gravid-looking Buccaneer looong before the graceful Scimitar sees light of day!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Because besides being Supermarine's last aircraft, what is there to recommend the type?

Wooksta has given valid reasons for there being Sea Vixens and Sea Hawks but let's face it, the Scimitar was hardly a spectacular aircraft, condemned to mediocrity by ever changing requirements, never a stellar performer.  I'm afraid historically it's really just an also ran.

The same thing could be said for Supermarines' other post war FAA jet, the Attacker, yet there's two kits available of it in 1:48.

Also to clarify I mean I'm surprised that none of the smaller, more niche makers have released a kit, such as Classic airframes or Special Hobby. Obviously we'll never get one from the likes of Airfix or Tamiya (I can dream....) !

P.S does anyone know why Classic Airframes didn't make one when they basically did all the other FAA aircraft from the era such as the Gannet and Sea Venom ?

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

I agree both this and the Swift are needed badly in 1/48 and injection moulded , as has been said above we get models of all sorts of obscure stuff but these two have been virtually ignored

I do hope someone will eventually get around to it 

Heres hoping !

• Like 1

Sadly there are many aircraft which have not been adequately kitted but happily also lots which have been these days. Try modelling 1920' s aircraft. I like the Scimitar and have the 72nd  Xtrakit but can quite understand why its not a priority for kit makers, a British naval aircraft from the 50's which served for less than ten years, of which about 70 were made and none has flown since the sixties. The Buccaneer served for over 30 years and is regarded as a great aircraft yet still not available in a good, fairly priced and up to date kit. TSR2 is still remembered as hugely important politically and technologically so even though only one flew it's still an important aircraft unlike the Scimitar.

Sorry for bit of a rant but manufacturers are under no obligation to make kits of a particular favourite plane, they are in business to make money or to bring to the market kits of subjects of their own liking in the case of some niche manufacturers.

Cheers, Paul

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gareth said:

P.S does anyone know why Classic Airframes didn't make one when they basically did all the other FAA aircraft from the era such as the Gannet and Sea Venom ?

Because the return on investment became negligible for Classic Airframes.  It was no longer comfortably profitable, and continuation of the line was not affordable.  I believe a Gannet AEW was in preparation, and just like the Firebrand that DynaVector actually had patterns for, would not have made sense to produce for the sake of continuing a line that count not be counted on to be financially burdensome to the owners.

4 hours ago, gareth said:

After the unadulterated smeg up they did with the Sea Venom I'd much prefer they left things alone.

• Like 6

I'd be happy with a reasonably priced 1/72 one which, given my advancing years, I could build straight from the box but should Airfix do one then even I would change scales!

As it isn't a Spitfire or F-16 we enthusiasts would have to buy a few before they made any money as it's not going to appeal to the general populace is it ?

• Like 1

I am a Scimitar fan and would like to see a 1/48 model of this aircraft - I think it was a significant aircraft because of the  challenges in the jump from operating the dainty Seahawk to the 30,000lb Scimitar on Royal Navy carriers - a handsome aircraft in elevation and plan & I would like to have a couple in my collection

CJP

• Like 4

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, AngstROM said:

I've been banging on about this for years; it is an absurd omission from existing portfolios. The arguments about 'mediocrity', 'historical significance' or lack of marking variety don't really hold up in the modelling context -the market is awash with kits of white elephants (TSR2, anyone...?) and obscure nonsenses in all scales that, apparently, we cheerfully lay in by the score. But no, there'll more likely be a new tool of the awkwardly gravid-looking Buccaneer looong before the graceful Scimitar sees light of day!

TSR.2 is famous and the entire Airfix production run in 1/72 sold out immediately. If you want a commercially-available, injection-moulded kit of a Scimitar or anything else at an affordable price then it has to be commercially viable.

There's nothing to say that Airfix won't tool one at some point in the future though, provided they can get the appropriate research materials and access to one to measure / laser-scan it.

• Like 1

Airfix made a Swift in 1/72.

Airfix made a Whitley.

Airfix have a real FAA flavour to their catalogue.

I have a feeling we will see one from Airfix in the future.

But then Italeri made a great Wessex series and Trumpeter made a Wyvern, so who knows. In a crowded market place some manufacturer or another will come along and see the gap in the line up and need a 1/48 release.

It does matter how good/bad, significant/insignificant an aircraft is! If the kit won't sell in numbers to make it profitable no-one is going to tool it. There isn't even one in 1/72 apart from a short run kit.  If it happens it will most likely be Trumpeter ( you can start condemning it now :wicked:) as I assume their tooling/manufacturing costs will be far lower than Airfix's.

... and it doesn't matter if you want to buy 3 of them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Maybe Airfix will listen this time :idea:

I seriously hope not, there's far more significant, popular, more prolific and successul aircraft which are needed long before the Scimitar - Hunter F.4/F.6/T.7/FGA.9, Vampire FB.5/9, Venom FB.1/4 in 1/48th for starters, in 1/72nd I'd add Lightning F.1/3, Canberra B.2/6 to the list...   ...the Scimitar should be well down the list I'm afraid.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

Will we, won't we? 

Personally I think it is possible that we might see a nice mainstream Scimitar kit one day.  

CJPs reasoning above is a great argument for seeing a kit, the Scimitar was a vital transition type for the Navy.

Why do kits sell or not, I seriously doubt that any one of us can really answer that, though we will have our opinions on it.

TSR.2 might be famous amongst aircraft fans, but it isn't that well known generally. I work in the aviation industry, with people that have never heard of it.  Yet the kits sold well enough.

We could drag up the other types need doing first debate all day long (Gannet AEW being my bugbear), but kit choice must partly come down to company financial bods, and if they can see that a kit of a Lightning, Hunter or Canberra already exists, however old or bad (which they probably don't care about, or unaware of anyway), then they are unlikely to want to produce another kit of it.

The Scimitar was a pretty and striking looking jet with some great unit markings, decent box art alone could possibly shift some kits.

A few years ago we would never have thought that there would be two injection Wyvern and Attacker kits

I know I don't buy kits on type popularity. 

PS just look at Mikes Dynavector Scimitar build in the link above, that alone would sell Scimitars to me!

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, 71chally said:

PS just look at Mikes Dynavector Scimitar build in the link above, that alone would sell Scimitars to me!

Best ever Scimitar kit from a Hi-Fi company! :nodding:  Every bit as good as Quad's remarkable but pricey B-47E. Which is a figment of my imagination. But I think if non-IMP media are being considered, I'd switch scales for the CMR jobbie rather than have to scratch half the noodly bits. But that's Sunday modelling for you! (Well, for me actually.)

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

if they can see that a kit of a Lightning, Hunter or Canberra already exists, however old or bad (which they probably don't care about, or unaware of anyway), then they are unlikely to want to produce another kit of it.

I can't subscribe to this point of view, if that was the case we'd still be making the Airfix BTK Spitfire or the Frog Hunter F.1, we wouldn't have the plethora of Bf-109's or F-16's that we do, fortunately there will always be somebody who wants a piece of the pie or thinks that they could do a better job  than what's out there or spots a gap in the market - hopefully this attitude will prevail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I seriously hope not, there's far more significant, popular, more prolific and successul aircraft which are needed long before the Scimitar - Hunter F.4/F.6/T.7/FGA.9, Vampire FB.5/9, Venom FB.1/4 in 1/48th for starters, in 1/72nd I'd add Lightning F.1/3, Canberra B.2/6 to the list...   ...the Scimitar should be well down the list I'm afraid.

Sorry Wez, I have to disagree with you, there have been 1/48 kits of the Vampires, Venoms, Lightning's &  Canberra's, so let's have a 1/48 kit of what I think was one of the most important FAA jets ever. However, I do agree that it's about time we had a new 1/48 kit of the Hunter, maybe with bolt on kits to make any of the marks produced?

And that comes from a former crab fat!!!!

XVTonker  :pilot:

30 minutes ago, xvtonker said:

let's have a 1/48 kit of what I think was one of the most important FAA jets ever

:hmmm:...aah yes, the Buccaneer, Phantom and Sea Harrier!  Fortunately, Tanmodel are giving us the Bucc', the Hasegawa Phantom is still a serviceable kit, not sure about the navalised Steam Budgie?

The only reason the Scimitar had such a long career was to act as a flying bowser for the early Bucc's, probably the most useful role it performed, I'd disagree that it was such an important jet.

Agreed we've had 1/48th kits of the Lightning and Canberra but I listed those in 1/72nd scale not 1/48th!  As for the Vampire and Venom the only mainstream kit of either in 1/48th is the Trumpeter Travesty Vampire, there's no mainstream Venom.  I don't understand why there's a 1/48th Attacker but as we are seeing here, it takes all sorts!

The Vampire and Hunter are significant, important aircraft, I'd much rather have decent, mainstream kits of these than what's currently on offer and certainly before a Scimitar.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2