1/72 speedy Spit

Here's another model built in a day a couple of years ago.  It's made from the Daily Mail (wash your mouth out with soap and water, boy) starter kit I picked up about half-a-dozen of from the local newsagent for 99p each.  As the "model in a day" was supposed to be light competition i decided to experiment.  I'd read wartime model books with the description "sand and spinach " to describe RAF DE/DG camo.  So i used some light tan and IJN Green.  Due to the timescale involved in completing in 7.5 hours flat there was no time for niceties like glossing before decalling.  So the decals were laid into puddles of Klear and not a sign of silvering even on those massive areas between letters and roundels.  I thought the colours looked interesting but obviously the other competitors didn't.  My daughter (then 9) entered with a straight and normally coloured BTK and won a certificate, whereas it took another 5 years of our club's competitions before I won anything!

72nd Airfix Mk.Ia72nd Airfix Mk.Ia

Cheers

Will 

• Like 15

You say sand and spinach?

OK I would say dark green and dark earth; which means those colours

are intended to be DARK. Your colours are rather light; don't search too far.

And the underside should be sky and not light blue.

Don't take it bad but I think that sometimes thinking would be better as rushing, wouldn't it ?

Yes, I was just trying to experiment, as whilst spinach could be a description of RAF Dark Green, sand does not suggest Dark Earth to me.  But "sand and spinach" was a published nickname for that camo early in WW2.

The underside is painted sky but the colour in the photo looks bluer than on the model.

Thanks for everyone's interest and likes

Will 

1 hour ago, polo1112 said:

You say sand and spinach?

OK I would say dark green and dark earth; which means those colours

are intended to be DARK. Your colours are rather light; don't search too far.

And the underside should be sky and not light blue.

Don't take it bad but I think that sometimes thinking would be better as rushing, wouldn't it ?

I can see that as you are not from the UK you may not have understood the 'Light' competition comment.

Decent build by the way, although when I was eleven I could build and paint in a couple of hours let alone 7 hours !!!.

• Like 1

Yes you are right, I am not from the UK, I am French but I don't know what a "light" competition is.

I would be very glad if you would be so kind and give me some explanations.

Many thanks in advance. Polo.:please:

Hi, Polo1112, in this case "light" was meant as "not serious".  The main idea of the day was to complete a model (any model) in the 7.5 hours.  The competition was just all the modellers deciding at the end which of the finished models they liked best, or possibly the most unusual - one year it was the Airfix human skeleton!

OK Thank you Malpaso for your explanations; I understand better now.

So far are those challenges unknown in France (as I know).

I am very sorry and would apologize for my critics, as I was not aware about the context.

Keep on the good job. Polo.