Supermarine Seafire FIII 887 NAS August '45 SH 1/48th

Ah, hello, there you all are !.  So I've been busy with life and other stuff, but in the meantime - here's one I just finished.

Special Hobby's OK-ish Seafire III, with (quite a few) bits added from a other Spit kits to make it look a little better. Paints are home brew Tamiya and Gunze.

This is "Spud" Murphy's machine NN212 from the battle over Odaki Bay, 15th August 1945. Significant for being the last aerial action of WW2 for Britain's armed forces.

As ever, all comments welcomed.

Jonners

P1070119_zpsovzpnewl.jpg

P1070129_zpsbpy33nxw.jpg

P1070123_zps9zbtd9zk.jpg

P1070118_zpslzc9d0dz.jpg

• Like 43

Looks really lovely! I have one to do shortly- what other kits parts did you use?? May I also say what a great touch with the green doped patches- I've seen some colour photos of seafires with this. 

10 hours ago, 85sqn said:

Looks really lovely! I have one to do shortly- what other kits parts did you use?? May I also say what a great touch with the green doped patches- I've seen some colour photos of seafires with this. 

Cheers all - glad you like her - this was a mojo restoration job.  

I robbed the rudder and tailplanes from a spare Hasegawa Mk IX with the late style elevator horns.  The nose underside and universal carb intake were also stolen from same kit ( its short for the Mk IX but pretty good for a Seafire III). Spare Eduard short Hispano MkV gun barrels replaced the drainpipes from SH kit. Rear canopy from Eduard, and main blown canopy from an Airfix MkVb. Wheels are Hasegawa too I think and tailwheel from Eduard, as are exhausts  - which are to my eyes about 1 Billion times better than the SH offerings.

Basically anything that looked sharper or better detailed than what the kit provided!!   I like doing this - so it was a nice project for me - but Im sure the kit would build fine as is - I've seen plenty built that look lovely.  I have  A LOT of Spit spares lying around ! :)  - which i keep for uses such as this.  Everything will fit with a "bit" of trimming.
Cockpit is mostly kit with some bits from Hasegawa and some spare Eduard late Q-type seat belts.

The 90 gal slipper tank is from the kit with a bit of extra detailing.

Decals are kit apart from serials - which folded up on me and went SNAFU, luckily I had a spare decal sheet form Airfix's old and awful Seafire III / Spit Vc kit- which had the same scheme, so these were robbed from there.

7 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Really nice build and finish. Love the subtle painted out roundels and faded paintwork. Excellent. Touch more weathering on the decals................................................??!

Hi - I did think about some more weathering on the decals - but after an oil wash I felt they looked subdued enough, plus I liked the contrast!.

Cheers though - its a good question to ask.

Jonners

• Like 1

Very nice as ever Jon. Really like these Pacific Seafire schemes and you've captured it beautifuly. I have the Sword 1/72 scale kit waiting in the wings and this provides some useful inspiration. Your Spitfire collection must be quite something by now!

Justin