De Havilland Vampire T.11

Just finished my Airfix De Havilland Vampire T.11. All in all its been a surprising little kit, parts were a struggle to fit together and brush painting the silver is always a challenge. That said I am really pleased with the results. It's an out of the box build, with a couple of minor tweaks. I changed the position of the trainers head, added ejector seat handles using fuse wire, and added some detail to the cockpit. I chose the preservation society paint job as I've seen that aircraft in the flesh, and having visited the Vampire at Wellesbourne airport yesterday, opted for some light weathering. 

DSC_1695

with a final coat of Quick Shine, the pocket rocket is ready for inspection. 

DSC_1698DSC_1699DSC_1700DSC_1701DSC_1706

• Like 19

Nicely painted, I wouldn't have thought the silver was brush painted, it looks airbrushed.

I didn't realise there was a Vampire at Wellesbourne airport – is there anything else of any interest there? Have you been to the Midlands Air Museum? If not, it's well worth a visit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorbygould said:

Nicely painted, I wouldn't have thought the silver was brush painted, it looks airbrushed.

I didn't realise there was a Vampire at Wellesbourne airport – is there anything else of any interest there? Have you been to the Midlands Air Museum? If not, it's well worth a visit.

Thank you for your kind comments, there is the vulcan xm655 (my personal favourite aircraft) which is easily accessible (you can literally go up to it on the week on your own) 

DSC_1690

a provost and another cockpit and afew other bits and bobs. The museum only opens Sundays and bank holidays. 

Thanks Michelle 

Hi Michelle,

nice finish and great job with the decals.

Nice brush painting skills as well.

Keep it up

JR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelliecool said:

there is the vulcan xm655 (my personal favourite aircraft) which is easily accessible (you can literally go up to it on the week on your own) 

A Vulcan wow!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorbygould said:

A Vulcan wow!

Yeah, we have been lucky enough to see her do a fast taxi run at Wellesbourne wings and wheels, it's awesome. Well worth a visit to the airfield in the week, she is right next to the flying school and you can get up close unsupervised. The preservation society are there at weekends and for a donation will allow you in the cockpit. 

DSC_1692

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

nice finish and great job with the decals.

Nice brush painting skills as well.

Keep it up

JR

Thank you, I'm surprised how nice it's turned out.

Michelle 

10 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Dave, if I'm honest I wasn't keen to start with (not quite love at first sight), but it grew on me big time! 

Similar experience- I nearly binned mine after I started it (photos to prove on my page..) but ended up liking the end result once I'd got over the "learning curve". I like that you've put crew in yours btw, think I might have to try that soon...     Bests, Dave

• Like 1

Just now, Dave N said:

Similar experience- I nearly binned mine after I started it (photos to prove on my page..) but ended up liking the end result once I'd got over the "learning curve". I like that you've put crew in yours btw, think I might have to try that soon...     Bests, Dave

Thanks Dave, it certainly was a tricky build, glad I'm not the only one to find that.

All the best, Michelle