1/48 Airfix Gnat

Good evening everyone.

The Airfix 1/48 Gnat is the subject of my latest offering for your perusal in the form of the RAE Gnat XP505, a popular choice of this little trainer due to it's heavy modification and loud paint scheme, a modellers delight. The base line kit from Airfix is a joy to build with the fit of parts be excellent and the detail within being of the same high standard and to which I was going to fit the S&M resin detail set and decals to model this individual research plane.

During the career of XP505 she spent her last service stint with the RAE at Bedford on gust and turbulence research, hence the heavy modification of wing tip and nose cones with a plethora of vanes and tubes to record readings from the research flight. She had a good career at Bedford and is now in storage, I think at Wroughton on behalf of the Science Museum, it would be so nice to see this airframe on display due to it's uniqueness.

Paints used were the reliable Tamiya range,apart from the dayglo which was xtracolour enamel darkened slightly to reduce the volume slightly and tone it down a little all of which laid down nicely with no major issues but the scheme does need plenty of masking, especially the wing tip and nose cones. The vanes and tubes were all scratch built from etch, rod and plasticard, fiddly but necessary. Weathering was almost not needed as the airframe was kept very clean from photo's I have seen and only a little chipping around the intakes was all I did.

The detail in the rear cockpit is the best I could come up with as pictures of this area of the plane are rare indeed and I could find no clear photo of the equipment within.

The decals are a mixture from the S&M , Airfix sheets and spares, although there is one just under the cockpit which I have been unable to source as yet but will be but a two minute job when I do find one.

All said a cracking build and I may buy another to do 505 in her earlier Aero Flight scheme.

Hope you like the pics and thanks for looking.

All the best Gary.

DSC_0377_zps32nqxyqo.jpg

DSC_0382_zpsm5zzlfkv.jpg

DSC_0381_zpse3wr8isn.jpg

DSC_0383_zpsruyj90tw.jpg

DSC_0378_zpsidgds1ri.jpg

DSC_0379_zps2rc6nuqk.jpg

DSC_0380_zpsdn99gemv.jpg

DSC_0384_zpsrzsv7ii6.jpg

• Like 35

Hello,Gary - The best way I can describe this Gnat is exquisite.Having recently built this kit as a Yellowjacks subject. I can appreciate that by its very nature,even in 1/48 scale, many parts are very small and delicate and require great care.Added to this,your scratch built items are beautifully done.The painting and finishing work is the crowning glory.A complex scheme superbly executed with crisp demarcation between colours.I love it.

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Gary

I'm a sucker for something a bit different and/or loud and this one fits the bill beautifully.  Good work on masking and painting all those straight demarcation lines........I find that's something that I can make go wrong very easily.

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1