XF-104 - Starfighter prototype - 1/72 (revised)

Back end modified, repainted and modified FG-786 decals

p?i=e9de606edccf347c15e7c59ede6b76f3

p?i=2d9333b3aa84e500add00fb2f52145fb

p?i=61a4d14bfae7b4e80d4a41e0b1cc0eb1

p?i=4adbf072c1f293b54ab90e2d77d8f8f1

I have long had a wish for the Starfighter amongst my collection of prototypes but never thought that I had enough information to produce one until I came across a drawing which, apart from the lack of anhedral, purported to represent the proposed layout of the F104.

The drawing matched an old Monogram 1/72 F104C, languishing on the shelf of doom, sufficiently well to show that the latter would be a good source of parts for an XF-104.

The original model would have to be shortened and would require a new rear fuselage and intakes. The fuselage spine would have to be removed and the front u/c leg moved forward as the XF-104 had a rearward retracting leg. The cannon would need to be faired in and a new, longer, nose probe created.

The centre section, nose and tail unit looked as if they could be used as they were although I had a suspicion that the fuselage was not as deep as it should be.

So much for theory!  I won’t bore you with the whole sad story but it took longer than expected resulting in a labour of love turning into labour which resulted in a bout of ‘get finished-itis’ so I am afraid that certain aspects, particularly the finish, are not as good as they should be.

The configuration and markings represent ‘first flight’ status but lack the Lockheed logos. If anyone knows where I can obtain some of the correct size please let me know.

The basics are described in the WIP,

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235017784-xf-104-starfighter-prototype/

which has been updated with details of the tribulations.

John

PS. For anybody without the brainpower to realise that this is a project to avoid I have just discovered that there is a very good selection of pictures of the XF-104 in Jay Miller's book about the Lockheed Skunk Works published by Aerofax. It includes some of the original rear end, which I have seen nowhere else.

PPS. From the above you would be right in assuming that I was not terribly happy with the finished article but I posted it anyway as a number of people were interested in how it turned out. It sat in my display cupboard for most of last summer giving me a reproachful look that said I could have done better and in the end I gave in and stripped it down, did some modifications and gave it fresh coat of Alclad Airframe Aluminium. I then found that I had done the Alclad so well it was like a mirror so I had to give it a light spray of Aluminium to make it less shiny.

The first 3 photos show its current state. The last one is of the original because I forgot to take that shot when I photographed it this time. Notice that I managed a reasonable looking Lockheed logo.

John

• Like 33

John,

A classic example of old school "kit-bashing" that I am very happy to see. I wish more modelers would give a try at chopping up some plastic!

The look of the model is so unique, that I wouldn't worry about the finish that much. After all, you can always ask any critics to compare it to their XF-104....

Best wishes, and can't wait to see your next effort!

Ed

• 2 months later...

For anybody without the brainpower to realise that this is a project to avoid I have just discovered that there is a very good selection of pictures of the XF-104 in Jay Miller's book about the Lockheed Skunk Works published by Aerofax. It includes some of the original rear end, which I have seen nowhere else.

It was on my bookshelf all the time I needed those pictures and I had not realised that they were in there. What did I say about lack of brainpower?

I agree with the real Mr Ed nice to see some of the old skills being used and I must say to a very high standard,I started my modelling when all you could do was kit bashing anyway you have turned out a beutifull piece of work well done. :clap: