F4-E/F/G versions

speedbird

Just a quick question guys if I may.. is there any noticeable difference between E, F and G variants of the F-4 phantom and can any kit of E,F or G versions be built to represent any of the above ? I'm only interested in 1.72 scale. The reason I'm asking is there is a nice revel F-4F on a well known auction site for not a lot of money and I'm wondering if I could build it a US Air Force E or G

You could possibly build an E model, the G model had a longer chin fairing and there's a few differences in the cockpit.

If i remember correctly, the stabilisers on the F are different to that of the E. i'm no expert and i'm sure someone with better knowledge than myself would be able to point you in the right direction.

What DaveJL said - the F-4F had wing slats, as on later F-4E's, but an unslotted tailplane as opposed to the slotted one fitted to the E.

HTH,

Andre 

Edited by Hook

Just since you asked, it should be mentioned that doing a G is possible, since it's based on the E airframe, but with a lot of add-ons, not only the larger chin fairing but the fairing on the tail, and other bits and assorted antennae. Depends on how hard you want to work in scratchbuilding. Definitely easier to get a straight G from the start.

But, as you surmised, an E is definitely doable from an F. Really depends on either of two things:

1) if you can find or modify the proper tailplanes, or

2) if you even care about the tailplanes in the first place. Sometimes if we're building just for ourselves for pure enjoyment, details as such don't always have to matter. Remember it's supposed to be fun.... :)