1/48 Kittyhawk Sukhoi Su-17 M4 Fitter-K

10 minutes ago, DDELK said:

I love it!! Great technique on the painting, I will keep that in mind.. I got to work on mine a couple days ago.. no complaints so far except I can't stand how the sprue gates are connected to the pieces.. the detail on this kit is amazing..

keep up up the good work..

dave

Thanks Dave. 

I've never tried post shading before, so pleased it's come out ok. Will put those photos up later. 

Believe, the sprue gates on this kit are a massive improvement to the gates on their Jaguar kit. Needed bolt cutters for that! ;)

Edited by Wee Beastie

Harvy means no harm guys, hes a great resource of info and likes to help. Maybe lost a bit in translation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Harvy means no harm guys, hes a great resource of info and likes to help. Maybe lost a bit in translation.

Beastie, my mate; I second that statement, too. Harv is a top-bloke with lots of knowledge on the Fitters. He's just trying to point out the mistakes of the kit on part of Kitty Hawk, like there's no targeting pod for missiles which are provided in the sprues, and also that there are pylons missing which are supposed to go under the fuselage.

He's just trying to help with building an accurate kit, only that his communication skills in English perhaps are not helping him to get his message through - maybe that's why it comes across as something else.

Incidentally; that's an outstanding work you're doing on this kit!

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RMP2 said:

3 hours ago, DDELK said:

It's all good, Harvey already said he was a little on the weird side..lol.. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Beastie, my mate; I second that statement, too. Harv is a top-bloke with lots of knowledge on the Fitters. He's just trying to point out the mistakes of the kit on part of Kitty Hawk, like there's no targeting pod for missiles which are provided in the sprues, and also that there are pylons missing which are supposed to go under the fuselage.

He's just trying to help with building an accurate kit, only that his communication skills in English perhaps are not helping him to get his message through - maybe that's why it comes across as something else.

Incidentally; that's an outstanding work you're doing on this kit!

Cheers,

Unc2

I appreciate all your sentiments, and I appreciate Harv's knowledge and expertise, and the language issue. It's only a hobby at the end of the day, and one I enjoy, whatever anyone cares to say. I don't build for total accuracy, just for the fun of it. I take critism personally, I hold my hand up to that one, but I still feel it wasn't wholly necessary, despite Harv's intentions. Still, onwards, and upwards, I've a Fitter to finish. :)

• Like 2

Well that's the camouflage finished, and I've had my first go at a bit of post-shading.
The Hataka paints have come out well, and mixed well with a little bit of Akan's Faded White, when applying the post-shading.
I've also done the exhaust cowling, the blast protector areas around the wing canons, the swing-wing roots, plus the 2 pitot antenna's. These were done with Vallejo Metal Colour Steel. 
The antenna covering on the tail is done with Akan's Russian Radome Green.
I shall let this dry, and I can now think about some glossing.

33995111253_ab69cc16ff.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34804736085_9f627587bb.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

34672273721_44de27f16f.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 9

Ian,

tjat looks great.. I was hoping to do the Same color, but the guy I'm building this kit for decided to go with the bare metal finish, which to me seems pretty boring. But then again he's paying for it so I guess that's the way it is..lol.. great job keep up the good work.

Dave🇺🇸

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DDELK said:

Ian,

tjat looks great.. I was hoping to do the Same color, but the guy I'm building this kit for decided to go with the bare metal finish, which to me seems pretty boring. But then again he's paying for it so I guess that's the way it is..lol.. great job keep up the good work.

Dave🇺🇸

- A good opportunity to built your own Fitter....Just not to remain frustrated for the rest of your days.......  J.M :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DDELK said:

Ian,

Dave🇺🇸

I'm not sure the bare metal finish suits the Fitter. But as you say, the guy's paying for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Very nice ian ,very nice

Glynn

8 hours ago, eng said:

That's a bloody impressive paint job! Awesome work indeed.

Eng

10 hours ago, RMP2 said:

That is looking rather sharp! It might be no Frogfoot, but I'm liking it quite a lot. :)

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

That is s nice looking Fitter!!!

Cheers fella's, much appreciated.

Will you be going for some weathering on the decals, Ian? I'm trying it with my Su-25 and not sure it's working all that well. Be good to see your approach.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

Will you be going for some weathering on the decals, Ian? I'm trying it with my Su-25 and not sure it's working all that well. Be good to see your approach.

- May I give you my own approach of the thing,? :After varnishining the whole model, decals inclued with either matt or semi matt , I use weathering pigments applied with fingers which allow to calibrate the quantity of pigment to apply  for the effect you wish , this too allow an easy removing in case of mistake.

I think weathering decals on gloss painted models is not mandatory....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RMP2 said:

This my HAF RF-4E I finished a few months backs.  The white stencils were very stark, when first applied.  After the decals had dried, I misted the relevant camo colours over them, and that blended them in nicely, as you can see.

31779220513_845d5cc58a.jpgimage by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32550636906_e399436a76.jpgimage by ian gaskell, on Flickr

32489428551_e432fca2c3.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

31768699364_a119b090e4.jpgUntitled by ian gaskell, on Flickr

• Like 4

Nice F-4 by the way.. I love building phantoms, I just HATE HATE all the damn stencils..lol..

Ian, 

As you know, I'm also working on the fitter.. I joined the first two front sections of each side of the fuselage together. The third rear section didn't seem to mate up as easily, so I thought I would join them up once i got the two halves joined. Did you also find the third section to be a bit more tough. I'm sure if I placed a little weight on it, it would probably join up.. Anyways, I'm just rambling on..lol.. The wind kind of got taken out of my sails once I got the word about going bare metal color. I just love the camo on yours and even showed it to the buyer but he still didn't waiver in his decision about the paint(damn) I'm going to do some heavy weathering to at least give the bare metal some character.. I always love getting the updates on your build and can't wait to see the weapons on it..

dave

• Like 1