1/72 Double Dutch Spitfire

I rather like odd looking Spitfires, such as with clipped wings, so the trainer type is ideal.  When one was recently built / restored at Thruxton, some of my daughter's classmates got to sit in it on their primary school aero club visit.  As first reflown the plane was in Dutch markings, which look a bit different, though it's now down at Goodwood with WW2 RAF markings.

20160819_183124

As this kit had been oop for a while I ordered one of the last two apparently available in the world from a model shop in the Czech Republic.  Until I worked out the relative price in Koruna (Crowns?) I wasn't sure but even with postage it wasn't too bad - a lot cheaper than the CMR or Brigade conversion options...  Now AZ have plans to rerelease the trainer kits this year, but at least I'm ahead of the curve!

20160819_183303

Basically you get an AZ Spifire 9 kit with an extra fuselage and the second cockpit interior and canopy.  So far I've painted and assembled the interiors.  It's not Eduard or Airfix, so it's all a bit delicate until the glue cures as everything is butt joints rather than any locating pins etc.

Cheers

Will

• Like 10

This is a view of progress so far.  Cockpit parts coming together.  I've also added the full wing tips.

Progress 22/4/17

Alongside this I'm building the Airfix Mk.XIX so that there's something to do whilst the AZ parts set into position.  Also much of the painting is similar to the Tr.9 until I get to the final livery.

Progress 22/4/17

Cheers

Will 

• Like 6

No I am not making the Mk.III with six-cannon mock-up.  I used the transition wedges of stretched sprue to infill the unused armament holes as only the outermost .303s were retained on the Dutch AF Tr.9s.  The greenstuff is filling a slight gap on the underside of the wingtip join, the tape each side should give a nice clean job with minimal sanding.  Note that word.  Should...

2017-04-24_09-35-07

Cheers

Will 

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Okay, well it turns out I left these  models so long that AZ put the Tr.9 back into production!  My excuse is the summer, cycling and the fact my work area got buried in family stuff.  Anyway I got an H&S Airbrush for my birthday (in August) and have practised on blank paper to start with.  The basic airframes are now together and some painting done, seem to be doing a huge amount of masking though!

37948572071_a06fea0068_b.jpg

37948572131_b6445763ce_b.jpg

Cheers Will 

Edited by malpaso
Got the other pic to work!
  • Like 6

The masking is off the PR.XIX and looks reasonably okay.

26217879129_dc9824b340_b.jpg

I am a bit worried about the Tr.9 as the Tamiya Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey don’t contrast much, neither does either differ much from the Halfords grey primer, which makes seeing where you’ve painted hard.  Maybe it’s the lighting or the Dark Green camo will make it all come together?

Cheers

Will

• Like 6

Here’s the masking on the Tr.9.  No not winter camo but blu-tak sausages with copydex (rubber solution) glue between. 

37306360184_ee19a3c003_b.jpg

And now sprayed with Tamiya RAF Dark Green.  I’ll leave it for a day before peeling off all the masking.

24163753398_15d5225418_b.jpg

Cheers

Will

• Like 4

Masking off and looks okay. I need to adjust a bit, there’s too much grey on the port wing.

37340666954_b853848896_b.jpg

And I’m happier with the lighter grey undersides.

24197626278_6de1edc942_b.jpg

No time for modelling tonight as I was dragooned into doing this for my teenaged daughters, who have managed to carve their own pumpkins for years but now can’t for some reason!

38050032241_0d9d11d0dd_b.jpg

Cheers

Will

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 29/10/2017 at 4:12 PM, malpaso said:

No not winter camo but blu-tak sausages with copydex (rubber solution) glue between. 

Never tried the copydex, looked like it worked ok...might have to try that.

9 hours ago, malpaso said:

No time for modelling tonight as I was dragooned into doing this for my teenaged daughters, who have managed to carve their own pumpkins for years but now can’t for some reason!

'Cos they're teenagers and they have learnt 'why have a dog and back yourself'. ;)

• Haha 1

Tuesday night I adjusted the grey and green on the wings.   Camo revised with blu-tak sausages.

38128102342_60ba8f9ed1_b.jpg

Walkway panels masked with Little Cars 2mm tape.

38128104412_d8857cc05d_b.jpg

Then slather on the Copydex, the included brush is fine, just drag it over the trailing edge and you get a clean transition.  A cocktail stick is best for detailing areas.

38104773446_c9de27a905_b.jpg

It all came out okay.  The pair of spits went to club night on Wednesday and were well received and Thursday I brushed on a coat of Klear.  Last night and this morning I had a rush of blood to the head and airbrushed on 2 Klear coats.  Lovely finish but even more of a palaver to clean up at the end, plus ongoing worry till next time whether the airbrush will still work!  I think I will use one of my cheapy Chinese jobs for Klear in future.  Anyway they look fairly shiny ready for decals.

38160137191_0959cc6556_b.jpg

The Airfix PR.XIX should be fairly quick as the decal sheet is reminiscent of the “good old days” with just national markings and a serial.  AZ provide stencils and some lovely Dutch roundels:

26383418089_66f24b32bc_b.jpg

Most photos show the red portion to the right in all positions, I’m doing H99 however the silver option 3W22 has the reverse on the starboard fuselage.  I can find some reversed roundels photos on the web, hopefully AZ got it right.

Cheers

Will

• Like 6

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

Last night and this morning I had a rush of blood to the head and airbrushed on 2 Klear coats.  Lovely finish but even more of a palaver to clean up at the end, plus ongoing worry till next time whether the airbrush will still work!  I think I will use one of my cheapy Chinese jobs for Klear in future.

I have never put Klear through my airbrush...don't know why that is. It might be because my subconscious is thinking what you're thinking.

Do you spray Klear neat, what pressure?

I sprayed it on neat.  The gauge said around 10psi but I don’t think it’s very accurate.  Anyway fairly low pressure.

In other news the decals are on the 19, all eight of them.  Nasty, thick and refusing to come off the backing sheet.  They’ve had one coat of Microsol, no sign of setting down properly yet.  Not to mention that Airfix provide fuselage decals about 30% larger than shown on the box art or decal instructions!  How hard can it be?  Too hard apparently!

38130733592_95286d0fc8_b.jpg

Cheers

Will

• Like 3

20 hours ago, malpaso said:

Not to mention that Airfix provide fuselage decals about 30% larger than shown on the box art or decal instructions!  How hard can it be?  Too hard apparently!

Sometimes I think they do this just to get a reaction.:swear:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The main Dutch markings applied now.  I’ll let the Microsol cure before dong the rest of the stencils.

37483192504_8ba25f5e26_b.jpg

AZ decals go on easily strong yet thin.  Maybe they use the same optician as Airfix though, as the side codes are larger than on the artwork!

Cheers

Will

• Like 6

All the decals were given another coat of Klear, then W&N satin varnish.  Satin seemed appropriate for post war planes.  Then it was a case of adding the undercarriage which needed a bit of trimming to both plane and legs on the AZ.

37599796954_4eb61a7bf8_b.jpg

The scissors are a bit of a trial to get off the sprue.

38315372321_5b09164e7b_b.jpg

The legs needed to set for a while, especially the AZ which doesn't have the rigid engineering of the Airfix.

26593084859_124e3e3b42_b.jpg24498202498_09f33a3aa3_b.jpg

This evening all the last little bits have been fitted and the masking removed from the canopies.  Here's a last photo of the two together as now completed:

38338027192_f9c83ee396_b.jpg

I've set up the two planes with individual RFI threads:

Thanks for looking in.  It's been fun doing the two side by side.  The Airfix is definitely easier, but the AZ is much more delicate and makes a nicer model, but needing more care.  It's not quite as nice as the Eduard but I'm more than happy to have a couple more AZs to build.  

Both planes will go into the club competition on Wednesday.  I doubt they'll get far, as those who went to Telford usually come back trailing glory and trophies.  I feel like the third reserve sub at Man Utd!  Still I guess I learn something from them, a rising tide floats all boats as the saying goes.

Cheers 

Will 

• Like 3