Seafire Mk XV, British Pacific Fleet

Hi everyone,

Thought I`d show you some photo`s of my attempt at Special Hobby`s 1/48 Seafire Mk XV

0Bn1UyZ.jpg

Completed to represent an aircraft of No 806 FAA Squadron, 16th Carrier Air Group, aboard HMS Glory circa 1946

j7oOSWe.jpg

Built 99.99% OOB

Gjj0esx.jpg

With just the whip aerial replaced with a bit of wire

aWcRf2Q.jpg

This has got to be the best, easiest to build, Special Hobby/MPM kit I`ve built since my Fulmar some time back

JutT39x.jpg

With only a bit of filler and work at the wing roots

Bs297Ud.jpg

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

• Like 37

28 minutes ago, aidy said:

Very nice Seafire.

Where is the base from?

Cheers Aidy, the base is an Eduard  item, injection moulded you just need to paint it.

lovely job as usual,  and you really have become master of photo backdrops.

A couple of minor points,  from photos the outer part of the wheel well (the wheel bit) appears to have usually been the underside colours

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019815-supermarine-spitfire-xiv/&do=findComment&comment=2694588

Jury is out,  but I've never seen a shot  that shows otherwise....

the other is that there would probably have been signs of the overprinting of the standard roundels  just about visible here

7cf6c52f2dce.jpg

I mention these as I know you do like to 'get it right' and they are minor points, though looking at the above you may consider some pastel dust to blend in the markings?

Great model nonetheless and glad you found it went together well, the SH kits really seem to have a marmite reputation!

Cheers

T

PS here's some well weathered Seafire III's for you...

6064352387_4ee6f9396b_o.jpgSeafire III's  in 1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

lovely job as usual,  and you really have become master of photo backdrops.

A couple of minor points,  from photos the outer part of the wheel well (the wheel bit) appears to have usually been the underside colours

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019815-supermarine-spitfire-xiv/&do=findComment&comment=2694588

Jury is out,  but I've never seen a shot  that shows otherwise....

the other is that there would probably have been signs of the overprinting of the standard roundels  just about visible here

7cf6c52f2dce.jpg

I mention these as I know you do like to 'get it right' and they are minor points, though looking at the above you may consider some pastel dust to blend in the markings?

Great model nonetheless and glad you found it went together well, the SH kits really seem to have a marmite reputation!

Cheers

T

PS here's some well weathered Seafire III's for you...

6064352387_4ee6f9396b_o.jpgSeafire III's  in 1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Hi Troy,

really glad you like it ( and the backdrops, it`s all your fault you realise :smile:  ) wheel wells? like you said open to contention. but: over sprayed roundels, I had considered it, but seeing as it was a post WWII subject and in none of the photo`s I found showed any signs of over sprayed original  roundels I presumed that by then they would have been marked up to suit the destination. 

Thanks for looking and your input.

All the best,

Russ 

• Thanks 1