DH.121 Trident 3B - F-RSIN 1/144.

zebra

My contribution to this group build will be the F-RSIN 1/144 Trident 3B, in British Airways colours. By the time these were built it was known as the Hawker Siddeley Trident, but it's a DH design and I'm told it qualifies, so here goes.

Box and sprue photo to start with:

F-RSIN Trident 3B WIP

There aren't a lot of parts so it ought to be a quick build - however I think a lot of the effort in this build is going to be in cleaning up the parts. There's a lot of flash, the plastic all has a very rough surface, and there are some pretty big moulding flaws such as these strange craters on the surface of one wing:

F-RSIN Trident 3B WIP

So I think I'll be getting through some filler on this build!

Apparently the kit's shape is pretty good, and I've seen some good builds online (including on Britmodeller), the one thing that people seem to consistently want to deal with is the shape of the centre engine inlet - it's a bit pinched and looks a bit triangular. So this is where I've started - I've built up the shape of the inlet with plasticard, and filed out the inside (which you can't see here) to get a better shape. It'll need some blending in with filler, which I'll do when the fuselage is together.

F-RSIN Trident 3B WIP

• Like 1

I've made a fair bit of progress with this since the last post.

The fuselage is together. As you'd expect with this kind of kit some filler was needed for the seams, but that's not a problem. I'm pretty happy with it now. I've also reshaped the intake for the centre engine - did this by adding a strip of plasticard to each side, reshaped that to match the profile I've give the intake on the main fuselage part, and then filed out the inside to match that shape. You can see it in the photo below, although not all that clearly. Since the photo was taken I've applied some filler, tomorrow's job will be to blend it all in. I've also opened up the small intake above the centre engine intake.

Trident WIP

Wings and tailplane have been assembled, and the craters in the wing surface filled. Major assemblies are in the photo below.

Trident WIP

Hopefully I'll have more progress to share tomorrow.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow - not had a lot of free time, and the Trident has been sharing it with the Antonovs I'm building in the From Russia With Love group build. But then this is the kind of kit that needs a slow and steady approach - taking the time to deal with the many surface blemishes and get parts to fit properly will turn out to have been worthwhile I think. I've now got the centre engine intake blended in satisfactorily, and attached the tailplane and engines. The join between the engine and fuselage needs a little more work, but I'm happy with how it's going. Shouldn't be too long until I start painting.

Trident 3B WIP

• Like 2

On 07/05/2017 at 1:10 PM, zebra said:

Progress has been slow.

Slow and steady is good. The end date for this is GB is 24th June so you have just over 6 weeks to go, I'm sure you'll make it if you keep plugging away. Great progress so far. 

• Like 1

Another weekend without much modelling time, but some progress - wings are on, which feels like a significant milestone. A bit of cleaning up to do around the wing to fuselage join, and a bit of cleaning up here and there on the fuselage. Should get some paint on next weekend.

Trident 3B WIP

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DAG058 said:

She's looking a beauty @zebra, I'm looking forward to that paint! 

Thanks - I'm part way there, got the white done, grey on the wings, aluminium on the engines, leading edges etc - but have been well and truly off my game today, tried to paint the red but just couldn't get the mix right. Won't get another go at it until next weekend now - off to Brisbane for work this week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This thing has not wanted me to paint it! I've been thoroughly off my game with the painting on this. Just couldn't seem to get the paint mix right. It's all painted, there were issues with the red (some leakage under the masking tape - think I'll deal with that with some white decal). It's all painted now, haven't dared remove the masking tape yet though. It's been a bit of a mojo killer to be honest, but the mojo has been restored by my other project, and I'm determined to get this finished. So might make some more progress - and post a photo - tomorrow.

I think it's fair to say this isn't going to be done by the end of this group build. The paint problems aren't insurmountable, and it will be finished, but I don't have the enthusiasm for it at the minute. Meanwhile Antonovs have well and truly given me my mojo back and I'm pressing on with those.

9 hours ago, zebra said:

I think it's fair to say this isn't going to be done by the end of this group build. The paint problems aren't insurmountable, and it will be finished, but I don't have the enthusiasm for it at the minute. Meanwhile Antonovs have well and truly given me my mojo back and I'm pressing on with those.

Thats a shame, it would have been good if you could have finished. Thanks for taking part.