T-28, Roden v. Monogram

Trenton guy

I recently acquired a very old example of the Monogram T-28A at a hobby show, as well as an example of a recent "selected subjects" issue of the nearly as old Monogram T-28B. I really just wanted them to compare differences and, perhaps, use parts from the T-28A to back date my Roden T-28B, as it is a more detailed kit. When I compared the two Monogram moldings the idea looked quite feasible. Then I compared the Monogram and the Roden kits ---oh my goodness!!! While both bear a resemblance to a T-28, they differ in almost every respect; dimensions, shapes, cross sections, cockpit location, etc,etc,etc. 

Does any one have a clue as to which is the more accurate? I don't have 1/48 scale drawings but comparison to photographs suggested that the old Monogram, while far less detailed, captures the T-28 much better (raised panel lines and all).

I cut my teeth on Monogram back in the 1950's, including the T-28A when it was brand new. Monogram never seemed to have accuracy issues, although fit could sometimes be an issue. I am leaning toward using the Monogram kits with aftermarket details intended for the Roden kit. 

Any advise or opinions on this issue?

Having built both, I would say the Roden kit. According to those who measure things the Monogram kit is quite underscale and the Roden a bit over.

The Monogram kit is very toy like, no undercarriage bay, extended legs ( so they can retract ), gear doors are one piece for the same reason, little cockpit detail, engine moulded into the cowl, part of the front canopy moulded into the fuselage etc.

I believe that you can get specific aftermarket parts to enhance the Monogram one and that might be easier than butchering the Roden parts to fit.

Hope this is of some help

Regards

Russ

Thanks guys. Very helpfull. Back to the Roden kit then. The undersizing of the Monogram kit probably explains the very different impressions made in the box.

thanks again.

Bill

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I don't know about Roden being oversize, but Monogram definitely (?) undersize!  Mike West, Lone Star Models, makes sets for Monogram.

Mike stopped making the sets for the Monogram kit after the Roden was issued. The only thing left in his catalogue is the cockpit set, because that'll fit either kit. Your best bet is to trawl evil-bay to find someone selling an old set, if you can find one :(