51st HD Sergeant, April 1917

John

The rifle will in many ways be the focal point of this diorama, and I have a choice of 2:

51stHD38_zpsdvuxjaj2.jpg

The ICM SMLE is a bit finer than the Tamiya example, with the rear sight assembly as a separate, and very small(!) part. Top is the ICM Ross, for comparison. I also just received this etched set from the Big H to add a bit more detail. I think I'll use the ICM rifle.

51stHD37_zpsbzaridce.jpg

John

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I've been doing a bit more work on the model- feels appropriate today of all days. Grandpa passed away at Christmas 1977 and the plan is to have the model complete and on display by this Christmas.

I've added some extra discarded items of kit from an ICM sprue and started adding broken sections of barbed wire. It looks quite effective but it's clearly far too bright and will need toned down quite a bit.

I was in Falkirk yesterday and bought the little poppy pin from the Poppy Scotland stand. It will make a nice decoration on the base.

51stHD39_zpse1q068r0.jpg

John

• Like 1

I think the base is finished, at least in terms of adding more detail to it. The wire has been toned down with Humbrol 173 Track Colour and a wash of the basic craft acrylic, with the odd shiny bit showing through:

51stHD40_zpsbqj4qr0c.jpg

51stHD41_zpsisz6qer6.jpg

51stHD42_zps5c4skimt.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it, especially the barbed wire - quite effective in this scale.

J

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The completed base getting a run out with my son's WWII French officer:

French2_zpsabvh6pps.jpg

French1_zpsj6fie4gz.jpg

French3_zps8kgeqkdt.jpg

ICM WWI figure painted to represent 1940.  This gives a a good idea of the type of composition I'm aiming for.

Edit - it's actually a Tamiya WWII figure. 

John

• Like 3

Nice work John :thumbsup2:

Interesting that the pics are hosted on Photobucks, did you pay up or have they had a rethink on their recent policy of blocking 3rd party linking?

I have a Plus 20 account that I've had for years so as long as I keep paying my current subscription I'm OK until 31/12/18, which gives me a bit of time to sort out my options.

• 1 year later...

I've put this build to one side because I had a bit of a crisis with it - kilt or trousers? 

Looking at photos of Highland regiments even as late as 1917 shows front line soldiers in their kilts and, as I've said before it's one of the things my Grandpa spoke about. 

So the figure needs a kilt. 

How? 

First thought was to buy a Tommy's War figure and make the necessary mods. Scary. 

Second was to find the venerable Airfix figure and add Tamiya or ICM parts as required. I've just recently bought the figure and I'm waiting for it to show up. 

Then, this very afternoon, my son sent me a link:

https://images.app.goo.gl/Fd8uYkt1fkVBNqqY9

Game on! 

John 

• Like 1

Hi John, good to see this back on the table! If I understood you correctly, you're struggling with making a kilt for the figure? If so, I would recommend 'green stuff', available from Games Workshop stores, I believe Hobbycraft stock it also. It's a 2 part putty which is very elastic and can be rolled or stretched very thinly. It remains quite flexible even after curing, so it lends itself very effectively to making thin flappy layers of clothing. Just a thought?

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

I am going for the kilt. It's not so much a question of how to make one, more looking at what's available out there and seeing if there's anything that can be adapted.

My son spotted the advert for the Bodi Highlander and it looked like a good bases to start with. It said a WWII figure and at first I thought that must have been a misprint, but it isn't:

51stHD43_zpsy8fjegfu.jpg

51stHD44_zpsaenly7nt.jpg

Definitely WWII era equipment and, believe it or not, at least one Highland regiment fought in their kilts in France in 1940 - a genuinely sobering thought.

Anyway, I think we're on to something here, especially as the apron will cover any butchery necessary to get the later style of ammo pouches off the kilt.

John

• 4 months later...