Milano from Guardians of the Galaxy

From one of my favourite movies of all time, Peter Quinn, aka "Starlord" flies a ravager ship called The Milano, here it is in a screencap from the movie:

milano.jpg

and here is a concept art version

milano2.jpg

Fantastic Plastic do a resin "kit" of this. which I treated myself to as a birthday present earlier this year. This is what you get in the kit:

DSC_7359.JPG

So it is essentially one large block of resin with some wings that attach! Here is that block of resin:

DSC_7361.JPG

The casting was a bit rough, there were some notable pinholes and there was some damage to the "razor" nose which you can see above. There were quite a few faults in the mould which needed quite a bit of clean up and the surface was quite rough in places. I ended up using about 3-4 primer/filler coats before I was happy to apply paint. 

It would have been really nice to have had a larger breakdown of parts to facilitate painting a rather complex paint scheme, eg the ability to do something nice with the cockpit rather than have it just solid. Never mind, in the end the paint tells the story :) So here is my version on a base made from a piece of MDF with a printed logo stuck to it

DSC_7445.JPG

DSC_7443.JPG

DSC_7446.JPG

DSC_7447.JPG

DSC_7450.JPG

DSC_7453.JPG

...and of course we have Guardians of the Galaxy 2 to look forward to next week...

I am Groot!

post-58050-I-am-Groot-smiling-gif-Imgur-

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 16

Another great build and well painted model from the House of Kallisti, Loved the craft in the film and you have certainly done the movie version justice. Can't wait to see in the flesh, I hope you will bring it along to he next club night.

14 minutes ago, cambridge said:

any clue about the origin of the name of the spaceship? i'm curious cause it has the same name of my city

I believe it's named after the actress Alyssa Milano. She hastened many young men (and some young women, I suppose) into puberty with a direct to video stinker called Embrace of the Vampire.

The ship is named for 80's it girl Alyssa Milano. She would have been very much on the mind of a young boy about the age of Quin when he was abducted. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAds0eMFCSREBxCN1ALdV

hqdefault.jpg

Good lord look at all the eighties hair.

Edited by Thud4444

7 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I believe it's named after the actress Alyssa Milano. She hastened many young men (and some young women, I suppose) into puberty with a direct to video stinker called Embrace of the Vampire.

Your thinking the later Miliano. She was a lot like Miley Cyrus. She got super famous being the anti-sex symbol of girls like Heather Lockler and Catherine Bach. She was marketed like how Disney markets thier tv stars now. Then once she got a little older she started doing much more "adult" roles. She started dating married men having affairs with baseball players and generally being a wild child. ( And you can't forget this was the ultra conservative early 90s)Parent groups went nuts, and having any Milano items was taboo.  As a matter of fact a young lady I was seeing got super upset with me for still owning her album years later.  (The 90s where weird) It took forever for her career to recover.

So thats kinda the joke, Quin missed all that. To him she is still that young picture of innocence.