M4A3 de la 2eme DB, Champagne.

I took the unusual decision (for me that is), to build two models of the same tank, one as it was during 1944, and one as it is now. Champagne was an early M4A3 (76mm) and served with the 12eme Regiment de Chasseurs d'Afrique, 2eme DB. It was knocked out during the Battle of Dompaire. It is preserved as a monument in the town of ViIle-sur-Illon.

The first model that I built was of Champagne in 1944, and for that I used parts from several kits. The upper and lower hull are Tamiya's M4A3 (75mm), but it is the large hatch version. The turret came from Asuka but I still had to source the main gun. Champagne was fitted with one of the early M1A1 unthreaded 76mm guns and I made this from a Formations threaded barrel with a piece of plastic tubing glued to the end.

1737520a-441f-4ab5-9ea0-5653210a0bb0.JPG

841407c0-cd38-4faf-aa4b-82bc90f38829.JPG

The transmission housing and running gear are all from the Dragon M4 (105mm) kit. The tracks are from Panda.

bde24e21-987c-4409-9179-a9be01cd0678.JPG

f1ac7a51-9b0d-49f8-8cde-c5b7da9dbcd5.JPG

The exhaust deflector which comes with the kit, is a little on the thick side, so I made a new one from 10thou card. I also made a new folding stowage

shelf from card for the same reason.

1715c4ea-f88e-4529-ac63-1150764615dd.jpg

The commanders hatch and the loaders hatch are both Dragon.

257d6bb7-6fa6-4958-bbbc-04cdce454a83.JPG

5da562d0-2184-404c-857f-a74323a86fad.JPG

a4d5a72b-7ad7-46ab-9c22-ba62c9df2286.JPG

fa13f996-d2d2-435a-9025-c95b49723964.JPG

Other additions were the bump stops for the engine doors, the armoured blower vent on the rear of the turret, the rebuilt vent between the hull hatches, the extra "lifting" ring on the turret, seen on early 76mm turrets along with the 2" mortar tube, gun lock and spare track holders from Dragon, plus umpteen other improvements/additions, including Eduard etched brass. It was painted with Tamiya acrylics, decals are Bison and I used Carr's weathering powders.

All I have to do now is build it all over again. But it will be quite different.

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 28

A very nice job indeed The subtle weathering is superbly done, as are all the little changes. The stowage is also fantastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi John. Wow! That is really superb. Great attention to detail, fantastic modelling and brilliant finish. Very well done.

:worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

1 hour ago, Badder said:

A very nice job indeed The subtle weathering is superbly done, as are all the little changes. The stowage is also fantastic.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder. I'm enjoying weathering now since I "rediscovered" Carr's powders. They're very underestimated.

Regards,

John.

14 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi John. Wow! That is really superb. Great attention to detail, fantastic modelling and brilliant finish. Very well done.

:worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. Only real problem that I had was finding the Tamiya turret ring was much smaller than that of the Asuka turret. Still, nothing that a pair of side cutters, a knife and sand paper couldn't fix.

Regards,

John.

10 minutes ago, Gorbygould said:

I'm not really into tanks, but I can see quality modelling when I see it - excellent job!

Many thanks Gorby. Much appreciated.

Regards,

John.

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nice job John, combining all those manufacturers you must have produced a perfect 1/35 M4A3?:thumbsup::goodjob:

Many thanks Ozzy. I don't know about perfect, but I certainly hope that it improved.

Regards,

John.

• Like 2

Very nice weathered look, perfect touch, neither much nor little, turret seem real, a like a lot. It must be a chaos to "match" pieces of so many models, and also "do not notice" (to be so good ... of course) :goodjob:

Cheers John :D

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Very nice weathered look, perfect touch, neither much nor little, turret seem real, a like a lot. It must be a chaos to "match" pieces of so many models, and also "do not notice" (to be so good ... of course) :goodjob:

Cheers John :D

Thanks Francis. Actually, apart from having to enlarge the turret ring in the Tamiya hull, everything fitted nice and easy.

Regards,

John

10 hours ago, Gerrardandrews said:

Sherman always good to look at, and yours is a joy to look at, and nice paint job😊

Many thanks Gerrard. Much appreciated.

John.

53 minutes ago, 4509davidb said:

Great job - I think Shermans are like Porsche 911s. They all look roughly the same but there's really a million variations...

Oh how right you are. You could spend your life building Shermans and never duplicate them. Many thanks.

John.

3 hours ago, Etienne said:

Excellent work, John ... a very nice build and a respectful tribute to french tankers during ww2 B)

Hi Etienne,

Many thanks. I hope to continue that tribute by building Champagne as she is now. I've got most of the parts. Just need to see if I can use some of the photos and not step on any copyright toes.

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

A great mix and match. Didn't Italeri do a version of this?

Many thanks. Do you mean an M4A3 or Champagne in particular? The answer is...................not a clue!

BTW. The "now" is about to be started, just got to source some pressed spoke wheels.

John.