Tamiya redbull rb6 decal and paint compatibility

shood23

Hi guys and girls I have a quick question to ask for anyone who has built the tamiya red bull rb6 f1 car. 

Right so basically I have bought one recently with the plan to make it into the late season car with the full detail set. This won't be the first time I have built this car (it's the 5th one. 1 binned, 1 Toro Rosso, 1 box stock, 1 but made by ejan and this one).

So having made a few already I know about the issue with the decals reacting to tamiya ts13 clear a little and also about zero paints pre mixed clear absolutely destroying the decals, why one went in the bin out of rage, so what I would like to know is has anyone built one and used a clear coat over the decals with them not reacting or melting and if so what make of clear was it so I don't mess up a build again.

Thanks 

Shaun

It happened with me with a Tamiya Decatti build and Model Hobby decals using Lacquer, so I did the final gloss using Alclad Aqua gloss, light coats at first so you don't get pooling over the other gloss then build up with wetter coats, you can still polish it after like the lacquer gloss

I did consider aqua gloss but after asking on various forums and Facebook I have gone for using Mr top coat gloss from gunze. It's apparently very kind to decals but stronger than aqua gloss. 

Shaun

• Like 1