Painting stripes on bombs

goose

Never really used the method as I don't do many bombs requiring it but I know many folk swear by the rubber washer method, assuming you're using an airbrush?

You can buy sets of multi sized small rubber washers on eBay, select the ones of the correct size and roll 2 onto the weapon at the required distance apart, mask off the rest and spray away.

Muzz

• Like 4

Just get an inflatable balloon (but deflated!) from your kids, open it in two or more parts, use a needle to pierce it, then thread it onto the forward end of the bomb to the aft limit of the yellow strape.  Same thing for the forward limit. Airbrush. You're done. Simple, and cost-effective.

• Like 3

One method not yet mentioned, paint ordnance stripe area with stripe colour, (yellow?)  let it dry,  then mask out the stripe with your favourite (i.e. Tamiya) tape.  Then paint the whole thing the requisite top colour (Olive Drab?) .  Remove mask. one stripey bomb. 

:-) 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-29 at 0:43 PM, Troffa said:

One method not yet mentioned, paint ordnance stripe area with stripe colour, (yellow?)  let it dry,  then mask out the stripe with your favourite (i.e. Tamiya) tape.  Then paint the whole thing the requisite top colour (Olive Drab?) .  Remove mask. one stripey bomb. 

:-) 

The problem is that a straight cut tape, however the right width, will wrinkle when adapting itself to the generally conical volume of the tip of a bomb (not applicable to those strips applied to perfectly cylindrical sections). You may find difficult to cut a ovoid strip while keeping the width constant (not applicable when the Yellow area covers the whole tip, instead of being a strip). I have tried the masks by Maketar recently and found them super.

Fernando

Edited by Fernando
  • Like 1