Danish F-100 questions

RidgeRunner

Hi all,

A couple of questions for the all-knowing collective....

Does anyone know where I can get a 3-view plan, overhead particularly, of Super Sabres with the Danish wing tip ECM pods?

Does anyone know where I can source a better afterburner can for a machine upgraded to the "F-102"-style? The kit offering is woefully in accurate.

Thanks ain advance.

Martin

• Like 1

Martin, I cannot find any plans, but this link:  https://www.ole-nikolajsen.com/album dk.pdf  is an excellent source of images of Danish military aircraft.

The same author also has a good English language PDF of the history of Danish military aviation, I recommend both to those who are interested.

Scroll through to page 236 of the link and have a look at the F-100 section.

Page 244 shows the best 'above oblique' shot of the pods on an F-100F.

It is interesting that so few Sabres have them fitted, most do not.

Have no other information on who manufactured the pods or how effective they were.

Nor do I know anything about better afterburner cans....I hope the pictures help, though.

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Does anyone know where I can get a 3-view plan, overhead particularly, of Super Sabres with the Danish wing tip ECM pods?

Martin, look no further than this: Dan Mil issue 7, issued in 1980. It contains four pages of the best drawings imaginable. I can't scan my issue without breaking the spine, so I won't. One source is Flash Aviation in the Netherlands, they've got one copy of issue 7:

http://www.flashie.nl/Menno/search.php5?keyword=dan+mil&search=Search

Rob

2 hours ago, sanguin said:

https://www.ole-nikolajsen.com/album dk.pdf  is an excellent source of images of Danish military aircraft.

The same author also has a good English language PDF of the history of Danish military aviation, I recommend both to those who are interested.

Hi John,

Have you managed to download it? My PC is telling me its downloaded but I cant see it in the file listing. I hope Ole wont mind as the images are low res and I'd always give credit.

M

37 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Rob, but the link you sent goes to a blank search screen :(

Got it now, Rob! Thanks for that.

Martin

and ordered!!!! :)

Martin

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi John,

Have you managed to download it? My PC is telling me its downloaded but I cant see it in the file listing. I hope Ole wont mind as the images are low res and I'd always give credit.

M

He shouldn't mind sharing it as he has harvested the pictures from various sources and used them without permission. No need to give him credit!

As for the pods they were a local Danish modification. I believe I have shared the pictures in here before so searching for a similar thread might help. 

I can only recommend the DanMil books.

HTH,

Jens

• Like 1

A classic jet the F-100 and i must get round to building one myself i saw the RDAF ones often as they visited RAF Binbrook the former Lightning airfield on either DACT or i think a squadron exchange (ESK 727 or 730 ) in the 80s.

I think a pair i will build a single seater and two seater of the RDAF will bring back some memories.

Regards. :D

Craig

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio!

I am building an Esci F-100D (1/72) but with the Trumpeter wing. The F-102-style can in inaccurate in both kits. However, I have moved on a bit and re-built the Esci can. It isn't 100% but it will be okay. I now need to start the wing surgery, as I did with the F-100C I built recently.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Typo

Thanks Giorgio. As I said, though, I've gone with a rebuild of the Esci, adding actuators etc and thinning the diameter of the stubs. It is now fitted and fuselage closed up. I really appreciate your offer, though.

Martin

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Martin, if it can be of help I'll have a look at the afterburner included in the Meng F-102 kit and let you know what it's like.

Yes please! I'm also working (very slowly) on a 1/72 scale Danish F-100D, and I got stuck on that nozzle problem. It would be great if the Meng F-102 contained the solution!

Rob

Rob, Martin is right unfortunately... I just checked the part in the box and can not really be used on a Super Sabre, the Meng part doesn't show all the detail required as in the Deuce the exhaust is partly hidden inside the fuselage.

Here's a potential product for an enterprising aftermarket company !

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Rob, Martin is right unfortunately... I just checked the part in the box and can not really be used on a Super Sabre, the Meng part doesn't show all the detail required as in the Deuce the exhaust is partly hidden inside the fuselage.

Here's a potential product for an enterprising aftermarket company !

Giorgio, thanks for checking! The search continues.. I started to convert a nozzle myself, but it doesn't look very good.

Rob

On 21 April 2017 at 4:17 PM, Rob de Bie said:

Martin, look no further than this: Dan Mil issue 7, issued in 1980. It contains four pages of the best drawings imaginable

Hi Rob! 

I got the DanMil book today! Thanks for the help. :). Excellent!

best regards,

Martin

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Rob! 

I got the DanMil book today! Thanks for the help. :). Excellent!

Martin, good to hear that you like the DanMil magazine. I may follow your lead with the ECM modifications, since I also plan to build a Danish F-100. Here's a view of my model in its current state. Work is concentrating on the cockpit. The Aires cockpit is partly installed, but there's still plenty of work to do.

f100-20.jpg

f100-21.jpg

Rob