Black Friday Pt1 & 2 - Mustang III HB836 & Fw190A-8 Wn.732183

That looks like a little more than intermediate-level fettling to me Jamie, but I can see why you wanted to replace the kit parts, the resin does look much better.

Jack and I have done Bennachie a couple of times, this is the most recent one three years ago, when I brought shame upon myself by giving up about 50m from the top:

P8280369.jpg

Well it wasn't 50m horizontally and I hadn't given up smoking then... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, SovereignHobbies said:

I suppose your dog may have been less judgemental though...

I'm not sure, he did look at me sort of funny... but we have made it to the top - the Mither Tap, which I presume is the top top - on other occasions, so I didn't feel quite as bad as I might to have done :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

The Vector wheel well looks more detailed ( but more complicated ) than the Aires version. Now that Meng and Airfix  have worked out the true shape perhaps we will get an accurate P-51B/C soon, we can but hope.

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm not sure, he did look at me sort of funny... but we have made it to the top - the Mither Tap, which I presume is the top top - on other occasions, so I didn't feel quite as bad as I might to have done :D 

Cheers,

Stew

The pub on John Street, Aberdeen disnae coont! :drink::wicked:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Cheers,

Stew

Back on topic, and the Mither Tap is actually about 11m lower than Oxen Craig. But it *looks* like the top! 

• Like 2

I only managed to get some zinc chromate yellow (ACUS23) on the main spar last night as I had to get the Bf109E finished for the Perth show this weekend. We figured the easiest way to explain our boxed sets was to have examples in that scheme sat on display - however rough they are which this most certainly is:

20170426_202445_zpsetg36ley.jpg

Meanwhile Stew has done a far more careful job on the Gustav sporting RLM 74/75/76!

Tonight I have to bury our cat that was put to sleep this morning and then start packing for Perth so no more Mustang progress until next week now.

• Like 5

Hi Jamie,

Bummer, was it the black cat? Sorry to hear that, not a nice thing to have to get done.

Your 109's looking good actually, I'm just about to fit the wheels to mine, then the transfers... hopefully get that varnished tomorrow after work and ready to go on Saturday... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

45 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Sorry to hear about your cat Jamie.

The 'like' is for the paint.

I know what you mean, no worries :)

39 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hi Jamie,

Bummer, was it the black cat? Sorry to hear that, not a nice thing to have to get done.

Your 109's looking good actually, I'm just about to fit the wheels to mine, then the transfers... hopefully get that varnished tomorrow after work and ready to go on Saturday... :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Aye it was Snowy the black one. She went downhill fast this week and couldn't leave her bed. She was kaput.

That's us literally back inside now.

I will try to add some exhaust stains to the 109 and leave it at that. Plenty of more important stuff to do!

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about the cat :(

As said by Tony and Biggles above, pets are family - I don't care what anyone says.

Think the 109 looks good!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I learned that HB836 was built as S/N 103685 as a P-51C and delivered to the RAF in May 1944.

The wing seems to be successfully mated to the fuselage now. The use of the wheel well has been difficult despite thinning the wings as far as I could. This has needed much more filling than is usual on a Tamiya kit. Two goes in fact ...

I think it's about there now though and the lines seem to look ok. These photos may highlight that that isn't actually the case though.

ed283794-70cd-414a-9f12-378173d92770.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend wasn't the modelling fest I had hoped for, but I did get the Mustang masked up and some primer sprayed on. The leading edges where all that filler was needed a little more profiling and I'm happy with it now, so the airframe and some not-yet-attached exterior bits were sprayed black ready for some painting.

42a38b87-6fb6-430b-ad8d-9ca619c78dfc.jpg

9148d1e5-54f3-49c8-9b09-e7c3c1bc0448.jpg

• Like 3

Having been delivered in May I thought it probably did wear invasion stripes. 65Sqn aircraft photographs are few and far between but the one posted earlier dated to Nov 1944 I think showed evidence of stripes left behind. I figured that if HB836 hadn't been repainted since it may have looked similar in Feb 1945 but with only a trace left. I have an idea for some pastel work towards the end but for now I wanted a hint at stripes. I thought I'd try masking them onto the black base and see what happens.

4c9e1d71-4662-4b81-9138-b3028e3bb9a5.jpg

3e23a9d2-c915-4af2-b29c-868dea7af3ac.jpg

65f8cf57-d1c4-4d63-a0fb-09ad9d2a5a4f.jpg

3251d72e-0611-4a56-a5b2-46501ebc5063.jpg

They're only just there now which is what I wanted. As above, I wanted to do something with my trusty pastels later to get the effect.

• Like 4