DH114 Heron 1 - BEA Red Square - Base completed 11 July

nimrod54

There are no exhaust pipes in the kit, so this morning I took some measurements from this, made for the Airliners III GB using the Airfix 1/72 kit...

DSC01515_zpsuncl7vc0.jpg

and cobbled these together from some tube. I just need to round over the front edge to fair it back to the nacelle a little before I paint them up.

DSC02141_zpsnkwkscpf.jpg

I then set about making a couple of aileron counter balance weights from wire and plastic rod, but once these last bits are completed, the model itself should be finished.

DSC02142_zpseztkf1mw.jpg

I will still have to sort out the tail sitting problem but some pins in the wheels will help there.

• Like 3

I have been able to get the exhausts and counter balance weights painted and fitted today, so for all intents and purposes that is the model complete. Then I grabbed some more time to get outside to take a few photos.

Next job is to crack on with the base, I have some scatters and static grass which is a new material to me so if anyone has some idea of how I can get this to stand up without an applicator please chip in.

Exhausts and balance weights fitted.

DSC02154_zpslxjhfvz5.jpg

DSC02144_zpso9jfkb8v.jpg

DSC02145_zps7tx3oiqu.jpg

• Like 5

The base is underway. I manage a couple of coats of Satin Black on the edges on Saturday and this morning I have edged the area for the shallow dune with pieces of a coffee stirrer. I have also sprayed the windsock pole with some white primer and I hope to make a start on forming the dune with some filler this afternoon.

DSC02157_zpszmbqcbpv.jpg

Just a quick update to show progress. The shallow dune has been created using Polyfilla and once this was dry I added a rough base coat with a sand colour. This morning I drilled two of the wheels in readiness for some short pins and the base was drilled to accept them. The sand is a bit damp at the moment, I think that it must have been sweating in the bag, so I have put a small amount in a container in the hope that I get enough dry and I can then scatter a layer over the base before I add some vegetation to the dune.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for finishing this by the weekend, but failing that I can always add the model to another base for some gallery shots.

DSC02161_zpshcrdrwvk.jpg

• Like 6

I was able to get a first layer of sand laid down this afternoon, but unfortunately I won't complete the base for tomorrows deadline, there is just too much to do and I don't want to rush it. The windsock is painted up and awaits the addition of a cable before I fix it to the post, I also need to fix the first layer of sand with some thinned PVA before adding a second layer. Once that has dried I will matt everything down to make sure there are no shiny patches of PVA showing. Then I can start to add the grass and twiggy bits of vegetation to the dune.

Here is a shot of where things stand with the base at present.

DSC02162_zpsqfag3ex7.jpg

What I propose to do now is post some photos of the completed aircraft, taken last weekend, over in the gallery, and then when I have finished the base, I can mount the model and post the result here.  That way it will be another completed type for the GB even if it is reluctant to stand on its own three wheels. Hence the Blue Tack on the nosewheel.

• Like 2

...lovely job - reminds me of long summer days - laying on the school playing fields at lunchtime - under the approach to Ringway Airport - back in the late 60's...

Watching classics like this on their way in to land - smashing job - thanks for sharing such a lovely build.

• Like 2

Cheers BIG X, I am glad that you have enjoyed my efforts.

Ringway was my local airport too, a friend and I would often travel by bus from Moston to the airport. Once there we would spend the bulk of the day sat at the end of the International Pier collecting aircraft registrations - all of this took place back in the day when spectators where allowed on the terraces.  When I got back home I would spend the evening underlining the spotted aircraft in my copy of Civil Aircraft Markings. We had the odd rare visitor, but when my friend left to work for BOAC at Heathrow he was soon picking up more unusual types.

We are still in contact now and whenever I visit him we usually have a day away from our wives looking around aircraft.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DAG058 said:

A real cracker of a build John, very well done! That base is looking good, you are doing the right thing in not rushing it. Thanks again for taking part and for being involved in the GB!

Thanks for the kind comment and your support through my builds. I would also like to add my thanks to you for proposing and running the GB, it's been a pleasure taking part and the types and standard of models produced has been exceptional. This isn't the end for my de Havilland builds though, I still have a Vampire twin seat, a Sea Vixen (Eastern Express) and a 146 in the to do pile yet.

I'll push on with the base and hopefully I can get that wrapped up over the next week.

Cheers

• Like 1

Just a quick update to show how the base is progressing. I have been able to get a second layer of sand on and the windsock is almost complete, I still hove the post cap to paint and that will wrap it up. I decided that the only option for the application of the grass was to get the right tool to create the effect I want to portray, so I have sent for an applicator, a costly solution but I figure that I will be able to use it on future projects and who knows once I am able to use it properly then I may be tempted to do more mini dioramas.

DSC02179_zpsuemhuuvo.jpg

I'll now complete this as soon as the new equipment arrives.

• Like 1

I've been able to add a first layer of static grass (2mm basing) to the base and then decided see how things look.

34972986683_0e6dc1ca2e_c.jpg

I am going to add another couple of layers of different lengths and that should see this finished - ignore the picture pin that will be removed once I have completed this phase. I've also knocked up a sign to finish things off.

34972985953_92b63f03e2_c.jpg

• Like 7

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, nimrod54 said:

Cheers BIG X, I am glad that you have enjoyed my efforts.

Ringway was my local airport too, a friend and I would often travel by bus from Moston to the airport. Once there we would spend the bulk of the day sat at the end of the International Pier collecting aircraft registrations - all of this took place back in the day when spectators where allowed on the terraces.  When I got back home I would spend the evening underlining the spotted aircraft in my copy of Civil Aircraft Markings. We had the odd rare visitor, but when my friend left to work for BOAC at Heathrow he was soon picking up more unusual types.

We are still in contact now and whenever I visit him we usually have a day away from our wives looking around aircraft.

When a British reg beyond what was in the latest Civil Aircraft Markings (CAM) or anything that wasn't in there like foreign light stuff, new airliners etc. I had a note book titled.. Out of the book Book ! All my friends did, I must have got nearly 20 kids interested in Spotting, most hadn't a clue which 'plane was what but they soon picked it up !

What did you do for those not in CAM?

My school was only 400 yards from Ian Allan's HQ in Shepperton . From the first working day in January until it came out ,probably in  March, we were in there asking for the latest CAM. World Airliner Registrations was the worst, no set month or year ! They got fed up with us everyday.

• Like 3

Hey guys - @nimrod54 and @bzn20

For all those aircraft that weren't in the CAM - there was the WAF - World Airline Fleets - a weighty old book, but an essential along with the radio and binoculars - happy days!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

For all those aircraft that weren't in the CAM - there was the WAF - World Airline Fleets - a weighty old book, but an essential along with the radio and binoculars - happy days!!!

WAF ? Ha ! Didn't exist.....Although I used to go London Airport then became  Heathrow  quite often from  58- 65 My actual Reg collecting spotting days were 66-70. Never had an official "out of the book Book" unless you bought all the LAAS and Air Britain foreign civil register books from "Rip me off" VHF Supplies . If I had, I'd still be paying for them ! I did buy the 1981 WAF edition..like you said ,weighty ! Try carrying that thing on the A30 riding a  tredder !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bzn20 said:

When a British reg beyond what was in the latest Civil Aircraft Markings (CAM) or anything that wasn't in there like foreign light stuff, new airliners etc. I had a note book titled.. Out of the book Book ! All my friends did, I must have got nearly 20 kids interested in Spotting, most hadn't a clue which 'plane was what but they soon picked it up !

What did you do for those not in CAM?

My school was only 400 yards from Ian Allan's HQ in Shepperton . From the first working day in January until it came out ,probably in  March, we were in there asking for the latest CAM. World Airliner Registrations was the worst, no set month or year ! They got fed up with us everyday.

11 hours ago, BIG X said:

Nothing as extravagant as WAF for me chaps, mine would simply sit in the rough copy. Radio and binoculars? Luxury. :winkgrin: We had a pair of binoculars between us and we made sure we were near someone with a radio.

I have an old copy of a Manchester Airport Timetable for October 1969, priced at 6D (that's 21/2 p for the decimalised reader). There are twenty-nine aircraft types listed from fifteen different manufacturers arriving and departing. Types range from Airspeed Ambassador to Vickers Viscount, I would be hard pressed to see that now.

19 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Just caught up with this, some wonderful work going on here

Thanks for the comment Graham, I should finish the base over the next week.

The old Jet set VHF transistor radio. I didn't get one 'til 69, just a "pole"! Just remembered sitting in my mates back garden listening in to Globemasters, Cargomasters ,'Lifters to and from Germany and German Nord Noratlas to Wales and back on Fly Overs ! KLM DC-8-63s. Great days. BTW I was at Ringway spotting the day that BM Argonaut went in at Stockport 67, same week as the 6 day war. I didn't see it take off, we'd already left the airport, just on the Apron. 

My first flights were to and from Ringway from North terminal London Airport and later Oceanic Building on by BOAC 1 Argonaut, 1 DC-7C, 4 brits and 4 707-436 1958-62/63. Those were the days!

• Like 1

No WAF - you guys are older than you look ;)

My era at Ringway was the late seventies - we were even there the day they ushered everyone off the piers - never to return.  I don't remember the date - but it must have been during the six weeks school summer holidays.

I used to be a member of CAS - The Cheshire Aviation Society - run by a kid called Chip Kinder - he organised coach trips to airports all over the UK for members - what a guy - I wonder where he is now???

• Like 1

That's roughly about the time Heathrow's T3 shut their finger roof walk. IRA and Bader Meinhoff, (sic) and  Hijackers leaflet drop from a TWA 707 in 76 (which I watched from the mud car park behind the GPO exchange/ the Ariel Hotel) over London armed Police and  Army in armoured cars/Scimitars "ring of steel"

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I've been able to add a first layer of static grass (2mm basing) to the base and then decided see how things look.

34972986683_0e6dc1ca2e_c.jpg

I am going to add another couple of layers of different lengths and that should see this finished - ignore the picture pin that will be removed once I have completed this phase. I've also knocked up a sign to finish things off.

We really should get back on topic and stop discussing plane spotting boys - This really is a fantastic build!!!

• Like 2

Stick the short stuff outside and visit relatives.. I go away a couple of days and the lawns grown 6 inches!

• Like 1

I got the last of the static grass on earlier this evening, so I am this one finished. Though I do have to remake one of the aileron counter balances it has disappeared over the past few days, probably as a result of taking the model on and off the base. Anyway here are a few shots of how it should have looked in the gallery.

35824234676_f0d0b35e40_c.jpg

35824234116_82236e33ba_c.jpg

35824235446_c63168123f_c.jpg

Thanks again for all the comments and support throughout this build.

• Like 2