Etihad Body Colour

Hello All

I am planning on making an Etihad A320, but I don't want to mix 3 paints, as Revell suggest you to do, so does anyone know of any colours made by Humbrol or Tamiya which can match Etihad's new livery body colour. Paint numbers will be highly appreciated. 

The short answer is no.  There have been discussion threads about the Ethiad fuselage colour on several sites and the only off the shelf paint I've seen anyone suggest is Ford Champagne Gold from Halfords.  The best representation of the Ethiad colour I've ever seen is here and you can read for yourself how Viking achieved it.

I was looking through some Humbrol Paints, and I found 41 Ivory Gloss, which looks like a pretty close match to me. Because you guys probably have a better eye for detail than me, can you tell me how close this 41 Ivory Gloss is, as the Ford Champagne Gold suggested is quite large and expensive, so I was looking for a cheaper version and found this. Tell me if you think it works or not, and if not, what needs to be done to it to make it work. 

https://www.humbrol.com/us-en/shop/paints/41-ivory-gloss-14ml-enamel-paint.html

What would be the closest non paintbrush option? And would it be possible to go into a diy store and use their paint matching system to get the correct colour?

If you don't know, the paint matching system is where a computer scans an object with the colour that you want to paint the thing in, then matches that colour.

It might work, if the paint store can do pearlescent colours. You'd also need to be careful to get a true-colour rendering of the Etihad colour, and that may be difficult. You might also check out the car spray section in your local Halfords. They may have a pearlescent Ivory colour which might work for you.

Hi I looked at 41 gloss at first then found it looked too light  i ended up mixing  41 with a darker sand colour i think it was Humbrol (7) ( only a bit) , The Revell mix does mix quite well i did try it  then overcoated it with Xtra Colour  pearlcent MICA coat that is available from Hannants

heres a picture of my finished A380  

DSCF3048_zpsmxhs3kog.jpg

DSCF3046_zps1rvboddj.jpg

Edited by RICHW
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BetaSingh said:

Which is the easiest method of painting the fuselage. Should I follow revells method or is there a better and/or easier method of painting the fuselage?

As far as I can see, there are a number of methods to paint the fuselage, I will list the ones I have found, and I would greatly appreciate you guys telling me which one is the best for a brush painter.

1) Follow Revell instructions of 75 percent white 20 percent orange and 5 percent aluminium 

2) Use Halfords ford champagne gold

3) Use Humbrol 41 and a pearlescent overcoat

4) Using Hu 41 and a sand colour and then the overcoat

5) Use a base coat of Ushabti Bone then applying NYC Mulberry Street Nail varnish by paintbrush

6) Using just the NYC Mulberry Street paint and apply it with paintbrush

7) Same as 5 but using a hardware store paintmatcher to match the Mulberry street nail varnish 

8) Using a paintmatcher to match the etihad colour

9) Any new ways of painting the fuselage colour very welcome

2 hours ago, RICHW said:

with the mixing i found its just a matter of mixing it untill you are happy with the colour it took me quite a while to get it looking ok 

I was thinking to mix the paint as Revell suggested, but then I saw another person at Britmodeller's work with using an Ushabti Bone base coat and then using NYC Mulberry Street Nail Polish to give it that pearlescent finish, and now I want to do that, but I don't have an airbrush to do it, so I'm wondering how it will all turn out if a paintbrush is used. 

Jessica

I am going to use Cellulose thinner from Wilkinson, like somebody else on this forum used when doing their Etihad, but unfortunately, I don't have a spare model to practise on, nor do I have the money to get myself a spare model, but do you think that using a base coat, then brush painting the nail polish will work? I also have some nail art brushes which I bought for finer details, and do you think that they will work with the nail polish. 

Regards

BetaSingh

Lacking a spare model, a piece of plastic packaging/plastic container would do, just something to see how it goes down. If you're using laquer thinners, don't go to thin on the plastic of the practice piece, it may shrivel up.

Steve.