PRU blue Supermarine Swifts

Magua87

Hi, all. 

I've been working on an Xtrakit Swift, WK 293/N. Xtrakit show this aircraft as standard DSG and dark green over a PRU blue underside (see here).

I came to mask the nose black, but came across a few photos of the aircraft, all without the black on the nose around the camera. More annoyingly, all these photos show the aircraft with a silver underside, rather than the PRU blue prescribed by Xtrakit. Here and the same picture with an illustration here. I also note that CMR believe this aircraft had a silver underside. 

The rivet counter in me is working over time. I thought maybe I'd build the other aircraft XD 962, but a quick google seems to show that this was also painted silver. 

Is anyone able to confirm one way or the other for WK 293/N and XD 962/L before I have to consider a repaint or finding some new lettering? Any help appreciated. 

There was a change from PRU Blue to silver whilst the aircraft was in service so it's entirely possible it could have been in either scheme.

Try the Air Britain Photo resource page, it may turn up a picture in the appropriate scheme.

The RAF tends to align repaints with Major servicing, also, with a small fleet units are likely to get one of their previous mounts back post servicing.

What I'm saying is, either of your subjects could have had PRU Blue surfaces before Major and silver after - you just need to find a photo of it!

Thanks, guys. Guess I've got the wrong colour! 

Doss anyone have a half used airfix sheet I could use? I see their PRU blue aircraft is from 1956. Otherwise I'll see if I can get one from their spares team. I'm quite keen on the PRU blue undersides. 

36 minutes ago, Magua87 said:

Thanks, guys. Guess I've got the wrong colour! 

Doss anyone have a half used airfix sheet I could use? I see their PRU blue aircraft is from 1956. Otherwise I'll see if I can get one from their spares team. I'm quite keen on the PRU blue undersides. 

Message sent on your wanted ad

Phil