Spraying with Humbrol Acrylic

cocky05d

Hi ,tried airbrushing said paint ,thinning it with Vallejo airbrush thinners ,and using my iwata hp bcs airbrush  with a  0,5 nozzle ,used no 30 Dark green on a Trumpeter ChTZ S-65 Tractor ,the colour looks a bit

like Russian tank green .

It went on ok ,not as easy as Tamiya ,might try thinning it with water and other makes of thinner .

It clogged a bit but put some Vajjejo air brush cleaner through it and it was ok .

I've generally given up on airbrushing Humbrol acrylics. I can make them work, but the critical balance of flow improver, water and paint seemed to change with the tides, moon phase and mood of my terrier. 

The most consistent mix was about 30% paint, 60% water, and 10% flow improver (which is mostly water). It went on much too thin, seemed to take too long to dry, and after a week of daily paint sessions was still translucent. Binned. 

I do use some colors via hairy stick, but only on small bits like in cockpits. 

• Like 1

Hi ,spent another couple of hours airbrushing ,tried Model Air with a few drops of Vallejo airbrush thinner ,it went on ok .

Was watching a model maker on Youtube he was using Tamiya Acrylics and he fills a new jar of paint with thinner until it is 1/8 th of an inch from the top .

I tried doing that with a couple of jars of Tamiya paint and it works ok ,just got to remember to mark the jars with the thinned paint in.

I guess everyone will have their own take on this but I consider the stuff unusable either with an airbrush or hairy stick. If I can't get Tamiya then I'll revert to using enamel; at least they can be reliably thinned and sprayed. I don't get how Humbrol get away with continuing to sell their acrylics, it barely counts as paint IMHO.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I found it very inconsistent. I had a bottle of their PRU Blue. It was VERY thick and I struggled to get the right mix of pressure and thinner. 

I thinned the paint in the bottle with tamiya acrylic thinner. I've been drawing from this mixture and thinning it further for spraying. 

Good idea to spray it on the thicker side, otherwise it is almost translucent as noted above. You will get the occasional clog. This will be the first and last bottle I'll use.