PZL P.11C, Mistercraft 1/72 scale

My latest build - the MisterKit 1/72 scale PZL P.11C. The kit itself is a little bit ropey: the moulds have been damaged at some point and because of the corrugated surface, this is rather difficult to cover up / repair. The kit is reasonably dimensionally accurate, and although it lacks much in the way of engine and cockpit detail, the surface corrugation is nicer, in my opinion, than the newer Azur offering.

33335020803_3e4a18644e_k_d.jpg

33335085283_7c7dfc341b_k_d.jpg

34105270116_8788477f1f_k_d.jpg

As well as building the cockpit, I added some pushrods to the engine, scratchbuilt the tail skid, rescribed the fuselage panel detail and made a new oil radiator from kneadtite green stuff. Plans and diagrams of the P.11C show a wire aerial going between the wingtips and the tail. However, examination of lots of photos (including this actual aircraft) don’t show the aerial. Perhaps the radio wasn’t universally fitted and was present only on squadron/flight leaders’ aircraft?

33761295330_8035f0929c_k_d.jpg

33988802002_da1d3f398e_k_d.jpg

33335011753_2fc66a6bcd_k_d.jpg

The markings are a mixture of kit, spares box and home-printed. 170N / White 10 / 8.70 was an aircraft of 113 Eskadra, part of Pursuit Brigade and was the mount of Podporucnik (second Lieutenant/Pilot Officer) Hieronim Dudwał. Dudwał scored a total of four confirmed kills (plus two probable/damaged) during the Polish campaign. He escaped to Romania after the German takeover, and ultimately reached France. Here, he joined Groupe de Chasse II / 10 at Amiens, flying Bloch MB152’s. He was shot down and killed in June 1940, not adding to his list of successes while in French service. He was posthumously promoted to Porucnik (Lieutenant / Flying Officer) and awarded the Silver Cross of the Order Virtuti Militari.

34105329156_9557802f9a_k_d.jpg

34146316345_2a5e98e160_k_d.jpg

• Like 27

Absolutely lovely Mitch. That's a gorgeous build - the paint work and decals are just excellent. It looks a lot better than my 50 or so year old Revell one.

One of my all time favourite aircraft.

The model is a nice tribute to Dudwał, a pilot that we Brits are perhaps less familiar with due to him not surviving the Battle of France.

For him to have got four confirmed and two more possibles in such a short time in the Polish conflict is incredible. Flying a Bloch MB152 would have felt like riding an elephant compared to these little PZL fighters :(.

Brave chap, sad loss. Thanks for including the excellent background to the model.

:goodjob: 
TonyT

• Like 2

Nice one, Mitch. Have you used Hataka acrylic paints or something else?

23 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

For him to have got four confirmed and two more possibles in such a short time in the Polish conflict is incredible. Flying a Bloch MB152 would have felt like riding an elephant compared to these little PZL fighters :(.

Tony, indeed - it was in practice 17 days of air defence, so about half of whole campaign. It means that some victory came each third day... Anyway he was one of the best ace of September.

When you read memoires of polish pilots in France flying MB 152 or MS-406, and leter in Brittain - Hurricane (even not telling about Spit) very sendomly you can find complains. It is rather "I wish to have it over Poland in '39". Mostly because of lack of speed in P11 while compare to not only Bf 109 but also Do 17 and even He 111.

Cheers

J-W  

• Like 2

Dudwał was evidently a superb fighter pilot and doubtless would have appreciated the MB152 being about 70mph faster and having a couple of 20mm Hispanos to supplement the two rifle calibre machine guns. But sadly, the MB152, even flown by Dudwał was no match for three Bf109E's.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mitch K said:

Dudwał was evidently a superb fighter pilot and doubtless would have appreciated the MB152 being about 70mph faster and having a couple of 20mm Hispanos to supplement the two rifle calibre machine guns. But sadly, the MB152, even flown by Dudwał was no match for three Bf109E's.

Aaargh! I got confused Mitch, I was thinking of the Bloch 131 :blush:!

It's very early in the morning here and I'm not quite awake yet....

I think at some point the Bloch 131 was flown by Polish aircrews? Now you're right, the MB 152 would indeed be a nice steed. I will go and stand in the corner :dunce: .

Doh!

All best regards
TonyT

• Like 3

Very good job. The kit is old and not very gratefull, but your effort gave really good result!

Extra point for choosing Dudwał's plane instead of generic Kosciuszko Squadron one. If only this guy survived the French Campaign, he'd probably be as famous as Skalski, Urbanowicz, Zumbach and the others form 303 sq.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Very good job. The kit is old and not very gratefull, but your effort gave really good result!

Extra point for choosing Dudwał's plane instead of generic Kosciuszko Squadron one. If only this guy survived the French Campaign, he'd probably be as famous as Skalski, Urbanowicz, Zumbach and the others form 303 sq.

It was a matter of good luck because I got the 113 Esk markings with my Akkura PZL P.50. I did all the code numbers etc myself by printing them off from my own computer, but the squadron symbols would have been too difficult. Once I had the squadron markings, I had choices. I think you're right - Dudwał would have become rightly famous had he survived. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Nice model. I would much sooner buy a Mistercraft kit than a Azur one anytime.

The fact that I could buy about five Mistercraft kits for the price of one equivalent Azur has an influence on me....